Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
carlt

Keith Flint R.I.P.

Featured Posts

49 is young for most but he did cram a lot in...

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

No replies! Who'd have thought The Prodigy wouldn't be popular with the narrowboating CW community?

?

Edited by eid

3 minutes ago, eid said:

No replies! Who'd have thought The Prodigy wouldn't be popular with the narrowboating CW community?

?

Who? What?

• Haha 1

I had never heard of him, but 49 is a cruelly early age to pass away.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

I had never heard of him, but 49 is a cruelly early age to pass away.

Me neither but I agree its certainly no age. A very sad end.

I had no idea who Keith Flint was, although I must heard a lot of his music, as my son was a fan which and he often chose to "share" it with us! However, I did recall the scene from the Mad Max excerpt.

They say that my generation is the first to appreciate their kid's music and I was just about accepting that punk (as a concept) was dying in a sea of mediocre brit pop when I heard "Charlie" and realised that there was still hope. 

For those who are older than me and just hear a raucous noise try and remember when your parents were telling you to turn that racket down when you were trying to listen to The Beatles or Elvis on your Decca radiogram (or in Mrsmelly's case, the Charleston on his HMV windup gramophone). 

6 hours ago, lampini said:

Met him a few times; he was a kind and gentle soul.... ?

I met him when he still had his long curly hair at a rave in Paris. 

It was difficult to judge his personality though because substances had been taken and we were all kind and gentle souls. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, carlt said:

They say that my generation is the first to appreciate their kid's music and I was just about accepting that punk (as a concept) was dying in a sea of mediocre brit pop when I heard "Charlie" and realised that there was still hope. 

For those who are older than me and just hear a raucous noise try and remember when your parents were telling you to turn that racket down when you were trying to listen to The Beatles or Elvis on your Decca radiogram (or in Mrsmelly's case, the Charleston on his HMV windup gramophone). 

:P I will have you know that one of my fave groups as a kid/teenager was Hawkwind, Silver machine is still a fab rendition. But Punk rock was eejuts with zero musical ability just making a racket. The zero music ability types now call themselves " Rappers " amongst other things and tend to talk as they are unable to sing!! it seems.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:P I will have you know that one of my fave groups as a kid/teenager was Hawkwind, Silver machine is still a fab rendition. But Punk rock was eejuts with zero musical ability just making a racket. The zero music ability types now call themselves " Rappers " amongst other things and tend to talk as they are unable to sing!! it seems.

You prove my point eloquently... 

I too was a big Hawkwind fan and to the preceding generation they were the talentless louts who disguised their absence of musical ability with the wail of the space echo. 

Like punk it was just rock and roll with a twist. 

Remember when they weren't allowed to play Glastonbury because they didn't play real music so they set up a free festival the other side of the fence? 

5 minutes ago, carlt said:

You prove my point eloquently... 

I too was a big Hawkwind fan and to the preceding generation they were the talentless louts who disguised their absence of musical ability with the wail of the space echo. 

Like punk it was just rock and roll with a twist. 

Remember when they weren't allowed to play Glastonbury because they didn't play real music so they set up a free festival the other side of the fence? 

Yes I do remember. A brill group back in the day and I believe the name is still in use by a later bunch of guys? Silver machine was playing when I trapped my first proper girlfriend under the glitter ball with the new fangled strobe light hitting it in the local pubs " function room "  late summer of 72 when I had my first motorbike lol.

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I do remember. A brill group back in the day and I believe the name is still in use by a later bunch of guys? Silver machine was playing when I trapped my first proper girlfriend under the glitter ball with the new fangled strobe light hitting it in the local pubs " function room "  late summer of 72 when I had my first motorbike lol.

The morphed into Hawklords for a while...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawklords

Never reached the heightsthat Hawkwind did in my opinion.

16 hours ago, carlt said:

You had a Radiogram? we didnt even have a Dansette!

We have just watched a documentary on Amazon Prime about his life. What a guy he was.

We were never really into their music but they did a handful of songs that we did like. 

A sad loss.

I was on a tour of The Royal National College for the Blind in Hereford some years back.  We were shown into their extensive music facility which consisted of an acoustically balanced performance room and a recording studio.

"This" we were told "Is where Hawkwind recorded Silver Machine

I was never happier to be somewhere by sheer accident.

Edited by zenataomm
I spilt custard down my front

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I spilt custard down my front

Is that like that famous song from My Fair Lady “I threw a custard at her face...”

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Is that like that famous song from My Fair Lady “I threw a custard at her face...”

It's the chorus

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It's the chorus

Written by Paul Weller who enjoyed top 10 success with "eat two trifles" later on.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, mark99 said:

Written by Paul Weller who enjoyed top 10 success with "eat two trifles" later on.

Sweet ?

Just having a little trawl through the Beeb online and found this, it's a coupe of days old so some may have seen it already. 

Headline reads - Prodigy's Keith Flint mural in Peterborough 'iconic'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-47654005

Edited by Tumshie