Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mac of Cygnet

Where Did Spring Go?

Featured Posts

After the February 'heatwave', this came as a bit of a surprise this morning (although I don't know why, having over 70 years experience of British weather).

March Snow.jpg

• Greenie 1

Alas, I'm not sure experience of the last 70 years is going to be much of a guide to what 'British weather' is going to look like over the next 70 years.

Spring is here in Sheffield. 

A bit blustery but with brilliant blue skies and reasonable temperatures. 

Thunder, lightning and hailstorms here this morning. The temperature dropped from 9c to 4c in the space of an hour and the wind was a lazy one. Still it’s sunny now :)

I pity the poor cranes that have flying north past us for the last 2 weeks though.

41 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Thunder, lightning and hailstorms here this morning. The temperature dropped from 9c to 4c in the space of an hour and the wind was a lazy one. Still it’s sunny now :)

I pity the poor cranes that have flying north past us for the last 2 weeks though.

I use the "lazy wind" and I end up having to explain what I mean all the time now I'm Midlands based

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

After the February 'heatwave', this came as a bit of a surprise this morning (although I don't know why, having over 70 years experience of British weather).

March Snow.jpg

I expect Mr Smelly is on the move again, having been moored up for the past couple of weeks 😁

5 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I use the "lazy wind" and I end up having to explain what I mean all the time now I'm Midlands based

I’m surprised, it was in common usage in Leicestershire when I lived there (and, boy, was it bone idle!)

A lot colder than it was last week, but still not seen any snow this winter, and long way that continue.

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Spring is here in Sheffield. 

A bit blustery but with brilliant blue skies and reasonable temperatures. 

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

March Snow.jpg

Point of order Mr Chairman,

Spring does not start until the March 20th, therefore another 15 days of Winter.

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Point of order Mr Chairman,

Spring does not start until the March 20th, therefore another 15 days of Winter.

According to the Met Office, Spring started on March 1st.

5 hours ago, pete23 said:

Paterdale??

Somewhere near the Materhorn:giggles:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

According to the Met Office, Spring started on March 1st.

Meteorological Spring is 1st March til 31st May

Astronomical Spring depends on spring equinox so this year is 20th March til 21st June

i kind of think you already knew this :) 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Astronomical Spring depends on spring equinox so this year is 20th March til 21st June

Being neither a meteorologist nor an astronomer, I didn't - I had always thought that spring started at the vernal equinox, i.e. on or around March 21st. But I know now, so thanks for the information.

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Well, yes but.  Spring, like all the seasons is our word for a natural process involving daylength, temperature, geography, plant growth and animal behaviour.  Defining it by rigid dates has little purpose, AFAICS.

Arh! The good old classic from the fifties, "if you fall through the mattress, I'll see you in the spring"

On 04/03/2019 at 15:07, cuthound said:

I expect Mr Smelly is on the move again, having been moored up for the past couple of weeks 😁

:P