Changes to the BSS Regs

Featured Posts

I see the Kidde CO9B is listed by CRT but is no longer on the Kidde website; it's replacement 10-year version is shown as only being  Part 1 compliant.

I also bought a CO9D which was advertised (by Kidde themselves) as Part 2 compliant but the sailboat had been crossed out, so I contacted Kidde. They confirmed that it was compliant and would be suitable for use on an inland boat but that it wasn't proof against being sprayed with salt water hence the crossed out sailboat.

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Phew ...........I'm OK - the Kidde 7CO is approved by BSI for boat usage.

http://www.kiddesafetyeurope.co.uk/Documents/7COC Data Sheet.pdf

Fully tested and approved by BSI for use in boats and caravans

From the installation manual :

5. Installation Instructions for Caravans and Boats As well as being recommended for use in homes, this alarm is approved for use in caravans, motor homes and boats.
In addition to following CoGDEM (www.cogdem.org.uk) and NCC guidelines; • Do not install directly above a source of heat or steam. • Avoid locating close to vehicle and exhaust fumes as these can damage the alarm sensor In addition to the instructions for boats; • Avoid locating near engine exhaust gases in the accommodation space • Avoid running the engine when moored alongside objects such as a wharf, a wall or another boat • Avoid running your engine when docked in a crowded marina as vehicle and exhaust fumes can damage the alarm sensor. For further information visit www.boatsafetyscheme.com

I just read they have come down in price https://www.wickes.co.uk/Kidde-7CO-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm/p/137373?utm_source=google&scid=scplp137373&sc_intid=137373&gclid=CjwKCAiAwojkBRBbEiwAeRcJZKyQ7wtbD9qXEVlMmcyqRan6cBDKiNhxZDiJYnTNaCn37vMViwPlpxoCwewQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Where can I find the list of CO testers made to BS EN 50291 part 2 suitable for boats please?

I have searched the terrible BSS site without it being disclosed.

Manufacturers details just seem to say BS 50291.

I'm not sure there is such a list.

Why do you need such a list ?

If you look at the Kidde site they show a couple or 3 options (with and without digital display)  so you can buy from them (or look on ebay for CO alarm and zoom into the pictures to see if they have Pt1 or Pt 2 marked on them

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thanks for that - I paid £26 for two.

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Daft not to really.  My current Fire Angel ones have a CO level read out and graph display, plus a thermometer, so I'm hoping they don't have to be disposed of prematurely to be replaced with something lesser with a tick in a box for yachting conditions they're not going to see.

The proposed new rules only require BS EN 50291.  They don’t require BS EN 50291-2 but it is advised, but even then they don’t mention ‘endorsed for boats’.  If you want more see 6.4.3 in the link in post 33. 

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Fortunatly mine are Kidde 7CO's and will meet the forthcoming changes.

I suspect a detector being suitable for a small seagoing boat would be subject to some pretty harsh testing conditions, pitching, rolling, vibrations from wave impact in heavy seas an well as engine transmitted vibration.

Hardly the typical conditions experienced by the average canal.boat, which especially if lived on would be more akin to a house.

A point I was about to make. To quote from BS EN 50291-2:2010

"This part two defines the additional testing needed, and the expected performance criteria for carbon monoxide detectors which are likely to be subject to movement or vibration during their lifespan. In general terms it can be considered that alarms conforming to this standard are more robust than alarms simply carrying the part one kitemark."

I would argue that the conditions may apply to a traveling caravan, Sea going boat or a smaller fibreglass/wooden boat. But a Narrowboat on the inland canal system is 99.99% of the time in a pretty stable position. 

Mine is currently 5021-1 standard and is good until November 2022, bought in good faith from a marine supplier. I personally would be happy to use this until that date. 

I have a bss due so will be interested to see what the examiner says.

I suspect some examiners may say that it must meet the - 2 simply because they could not then be accused of being wrong, I'll just have to see. 

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

The proposed new rules only require BS EN 50291.  They don’t require BS EN 50291-2 but it is advised, but even then they don’t mention ‘endorsed for boats’.  If you want more see 6.4.3 in the link in post 33. 

Sorry missed your post when I was replying to an earlier one. If what you say is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, then that makes sense to me. I personally would be happy to use my current 

50291-1 standard monitor until such time that it requires replacing I. E november 2022. 

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Daft not to really.  My current Fire Angel ones have a CO level read out and graph display, plus a thermometer, so I'm hoping they don't have to be disposed of prematurely to be replaced with something lesser with a tick in a box for yachting conditions they're not going to see.

That's the one I bought in error. 

I suggest it's no big deal. They are suitable for a motorhome and caravan . 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

That's the one I bought in error. 

I suggest it's no big deal. They are suitable for a motorhome and caravan . 

Actually yes, I've just looked at mine and they are 50291-2 certified.  So they're good re the BS certification but, whilst they carry the house, caravan and motorhome symbols,  the yacht one is crossed out. Practically speaking then, they'll take all the battering Pru and what's-his-name might dish out in a narrowboat,  but perhaps they'll not so comfortable with being continually cold, sea sick, soaking bloomin' wet and downright fed up as they would be on a yacht! :boat:

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry - but that makes me feel a little better.

• Happy 1

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I checked Wickes website. Nearest store with one in stock is about 60 miles away.

Better deal

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253067530707

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I checked Wickes website. Nearest store with one in stock is about 60 miles away.

Better deal

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253067530707

Bought that last night, there was one for £14 something, clicked "Buy it Now" and the price changed to £22 something. just saw it before I hit confirm

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

After all the discussions on here - I rushed to buy two (to avoid the postage charge) fro Amazon.

I Paid and closed.

This morning I find (not) the order had disappeared - " we only have one in stock" and the price stuffed up to £18

Barstewards

Barstewards

Barstewards

Barstewards

I thought Amazon had a decent IT system - but it's not looking good - at least they could have offered me the one they had left and at the price that it was when I ordered.

When suppliers behave like this - no wonder that customers take the P....