treat oak trim on new hatch windows ?

Featured Posts

Yes ... but dont think I want build up of body and thickness (aka gunk) - Im not treating outside (like on dogbox above), but doing inside hatch window lining (outside of hatch is all steel :-P).

Have just ordered osmo - will post update in 5 years when its all gone grey ?

Edited by Sassy Lass

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

They’re world’s apart. If you don’t recoat Osmo yearly it will fail. Le Tonk can be left alone for years with no ill effects. 

The reason that you have to sand between coats (it’s actually more a key than a flat down) for Le Tonk and not for Osmo is that Le Tonk builds body and thickness whereas Osmo doesn’t. 

Agreed. Osmo is basicly posh Danish Oil, fine for annual coating on garden furniture, totally unsuitable for protecting hardwood Joinery. Le Tonk, on the other hand, is a properly formulated wood varnish designed to protect hardwood Joinery, as is Yacht Varnish.

1 hour ago, Sassy Lass said:

Im not treating outside (like on dogbox above), but doing inside hatch window lining

You won’t be opening the hatch windows then I guess. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You won’t be opening the hatch windows then I guess. 

We are both wasting our time . Why should the OP take our advice based upon decades of experience? it seems eveyone is an expert when it comes to finishing wood and there are plenty of manufacturers out there prepared to take advantage of  their lack of knowledge and skill.

• Greenie 1

Very much not wasting your time. I wouldn't have looked into those two specific products without advice from here. There are thousands of products out there (I got distracted by 2pack varnishes for a good while), but I don't like the rich thick, undoubtedly durable, varnish look, as in original question. 

23 minutes ago, Sassy Lass said:

Very much not wasting your time. I wouldn't have looked into those two specific products without advice from here. There are thousands of products out there (I got distracted by 2pack varnishes for a good while), but I don't like the rich thick, undoubtedly durable, varnish look, as in original question. 

I am not sure where you have got your concept of a rich thick look from. Oak is a very open grained timber, and three well applied coats of a satin finish varnish, lightly sanded between coats will still display the grain beautifully, whilst protecting the surface from premature aging. I love oak and have quite a few pieces at home, I would challenge anyone to describe their finish as rich or thick. I do wonder if the illustration of the dog box made by WotEver has confused you, it is made from Utile which is a dark red closed grain timber, quite unlike oak, and it takes varnish very well, producing a deep shine if a gloss varnish is used, It is also important to understand that Utile would not weather well outside if not finished in several layers of, preferably gloss, varnish, wheras oak will survive for years without any finish, except that like most hardwoods it would go grey, and of rustic appearance in time. Just look at an unpainted Oak framed building to get an idea of what I mean.

image.png.90cd310089acbe77913a18e5ecb6fef8.png

I wish you the best of luck with whatever finish you finally decide to use, and hope that you will not be disapointed if it does not achieve what you hope for in time.

Edited by David Schweizer

On 03/03/2019 at 21:30, Sassy Lass said:

Got some very nice new hatch windows (c/o Mr Kedian) - strawpoll: What would be best product to treat and preserve oak trim on inside (not varnish) ??

(I was thinking Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus) ?

IMG_20190215_130322.jpg

What about panelling the inside of the boat? Have you thought about doing that? ?

On 03/03/2019 at 21:30, Sassy Lass said:

Got some very nice new hatch windows (c/o Mr Kedian) - strawpoll: What would be best product to treat and preserve oak trim on inside (not varnish) ??

(I was thinking Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus) ?

I used one of those Sikkens wood treatment products on the hardwood windows of a house once after sanding off all the old varnish. They really came up well and this was on the outside. Lasted fairly well too and unlike varnish very easy to retreat without much prep.

1 hour ago, Sassy Lass said:

I don't like the rich thick, undoubtedly durable, varnish look

So only apply three coats. It would soak in considerably on oak anyway. 

Edited by WotEver

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I would challenge anyone to describe their finish as rich or thick.

And accepted ?As undoubtably a man who likes gloss varnish -how about these oak decks. Many many coats of two pack..

20140912_162209.jpg

• Love 1

On 04/03/2019 at 09:11, WotEver said:

In my experience it’s as rubbish as most other exterior finishes since it was reformulated to reduce the VOC content. Used outside it peels and cracks, which it didn’t used to do. It also obscures the wood grain as opposed to enhancing it. 

Nope, but I have used LeTonkenois and that gives an excellent finish. Here it is on some mahogany (well, utile actually)

FDE1AE5E-CBBA-4F5B-A9DD-7AAC90267CB6.jpeg.5542631ca3e5fe4414be66fa0c651346.jpeg

That is gorgeous. Well made. Lovely. Smashing. Super.

Well, I like it. 

• Happy 1