Engine Controller

Glynn

Featured Posts

If it is fine when out of gear, the throttle cable is moving OK but the gear cable is stiff, either because the gearbox is loading it, or the cable needs oiling/replacing. The lever should move the gear cable over the 10 to 2 o clock region (12 being neutral) and probably not the rest of its travel.

15 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Thanks for that, it's the B183 I think.

Seem you have to drill a small hole to access the friction adjuster, as in pic.

Throttle adjuster teleflex b63.png

Before embarking on drilling holes in the lever control, I would check that the stiffness is not due to the gear cable or even the gearbox.

My inclination would be to first disconnect the cable from the gearbox, and try the lever again. If it now runs smoothly that would suggest the gearbox is stiff.  But if still stiff, then disconnect at the control lever end. If it now runs smoothly, you know the problem is with the cable.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Before embarking on drilling holes in the lever control, I would check that the stiffness is not due to the gear cable or even the gearbox.

My inclination would be to first disconnect the cable from the gearbox, and try the lever again. If it now runs smoothly that would suggest the gearbox is stiff.  But if still stiff, then disconnect at the control lever end. If it now runs smoothly, you know the problem is with the cable.

Spot on advice, I’d say. 

On 03/03/2019 at 18:19, Glynn said:

Seems you have to drill a small hole to access the friction adjuster, as in pic.

Is it just me?

If the manufacturer knows that a small hole is needed for adjustment, and even provides a screw cover in case the user wants to provide such a hole ... why isn't there a hole in the bloody thing anyway?