Shower pump problem

Felshampo

Featured Posts

My shower pump stopped working. It vibrates but the shower was like a paddling pool. Thought the pipe might be blocked so checked that but no. So got the pump out and checked it was not blocked. Looked at the diaphragm which was not split. Put it all back and the pump worked. 

Great.... Job done. 

Then used the shower a few days later and same problem it vibrates but doesn't pump. It looks like the water is just moving up and down the plpe about an inch. Decided I need a new pump. 

Used it today and it bloody works! Twice. 

So can anyone suggest why it is taunting me like this. 

1 minute ago, Felshampo said:

My shower pump stopped working. It vibrates but the shower was like a paddling pool. Thought the pipe might be blocked so checked that but no. So got the pump out and checked it was not blocked. Looked at the diaphragm which was not split. Put it all back and the pump worked. 

Great.... Job done. 

Then used the shower a few days later and same problem it vibrates but doesn't pump. It looks like the water is just moving up and down the plpe about an inch. Decided I need a new pump. 

Used it today and it bloody works! Twice. 

So can anyone suggest why it is taunting me like this. 

Is it an impellor type? If so, remove, bin, and replace with whale gulper or similar and forget about it forever.

It's a Johnson pump. Viking power 16.

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Diaphragm pump? Is it really a fresh water pump? Make model?

Could just be the non return valve/s stuck open with something.

Do you mean the tricuspid valve on the exit pipe? It was clear. 

If it is the water in the shower base that is just moving up and down have a look at the inlet valve.  It is probably full of hair. 

Otherwise, what Mrs Melly says above.

N

I have peed about with various shower drain pumps over the years, and have come to a conclusion: Nothing beats a Whale Gulper. Not even that expensive as boat things go.

24 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If it is the water in the shower base that is just moving up and down have a look at the inlet valve.  It is probably full of hair. 

Otherwise, what Mrs Melly says above.

N

Which valve? 

The base of the shower is clear. The pipe leaving the shower is clear and the pipe leaving the boat is clear. The pump worked today fine. Pumped out the water and you could see it exiting the boat really well. 

What's bugging me is on three occasions over the past couple of months it has not worked at all, like last week, then it does work, like today. 

16 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I have peed about with various shower drain pumps over the years, and have come to a conclusion: Nothing beats a Whale Gulper. Not even that expensive as boat things go.

Maybe I'll just get one of them.... ?

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

Yup.