Boat hierarchy

Fly Navy

Featured Posts

Ask 10 different people and I'm sure you'll get a significant number of different orders, it's all going to be opinion at the end of the day. 

I have an 18 year old boat built by a fabricator who probably only ever build one other boat, and she has so far served me well for the last 3 years living aboard. 

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Scruffy boats are best. Then come boats with logs on the roof. 

After that, anything with a motorbike on the back. 

Internally, you can judge a boat by the number of musical instruments it holds. 

Obviously, if the engine goes thronk ponk rather than tickertickerticker you've got a winner. 

Will that do? 

Ex-hire boats sit quite a long way down

Far too contentious a topic. 

Cheap boats like Springers are thought by some to be beneath contempt but there are hundreds of them keeping folk happy on the canal.

Hire boats have to find a new home after the fleets have done with them, again loads of them have satisfied owners.

The ones I don't like are the once beautiful individual boats built by very skilled and desirable builders that are left to rot by uncaring owners.

• Greenie 1

A lot of people claim yarwoods boats are better than woolwich boats. Having had 2 of each they all have issues. Ricky  boats were great, one of the best boats for playing with  was Jimmy (isis) small ricky motor with an st4 in it.

Never got in to Joshers  so cant comment, though i enjoyed steering The King a few times.

Given the choice based on looks a Yarwoods  boat is pretty much the best.

If you more at alvecote though the Josher is king

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Far too contentious a topic. 

Why? No more so than discussing our favourite cars/ pubs/ film stars.

I'd say that the boats at the top of the "hierarchy" (if that's what it is) are the makes which most people have never heard of.

There are always boats that people are jealous of (lovely little tjalk on botentekoop right now that I would commit serious crimes for) but I see the same views from my deck that someone with gold plated taps sees and if I had a battered Springer with overplated everything I would see exactly the same stuff through the windows (and think of the depreciation that I wouldn't be losing) So, yes there are good and not so good boats, cars, dogs, everything really, (I would put wives as well but mine might see this post)

My first boat was a Springer; I now have a Braithwaite and Kirk.  Neither firm started out as boat builders and both built gas holders and storage tanks etc. originally.  Both are excellent but very different boats.

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Springer equivalent to a Morris Minor. Characterful cheap minor classic. 

The way some people look down on springers you would think they were equivalent to s Trabant.

11 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

Is there a boat manufacturer hierarchy with narrowboats?

The best, the worst and those that aren't worth the water they have displaced!

(And your reasons for ranking them please?

Thanks in advance

Yes, but as in other things in life its only for saddos. I have owned 8 liveaboards. One was a SM Hudson, superb quality but didnt float any better than any of my other boats. My fave was from a builder practicaly no one has heard of that being Horsley Quenet. I love my present colecraft, one of two I have owned. I also love springers but have never owned one.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Why? No more so than discussing our favourite cars/ pubs/ film stars.

I'd say that the boats at the top of the "hierarchy" (if that's what it is) are the makes which most people have never heard of.

Shiny purple boats and their owners are the worst

See, not contentious at all, is it

Richard

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Springer equivalent to a Morris Minor. Characterful cheap minor classic. 

I always say they are the waterways version of the VW Beetle.  Not amazing build quality, but with their own quirks and style.

Some of the well maintained ones are excellent boats, but as they were cheap and cheerful boats 40 or 50 years ago not all of them have been looked after.

It will be interesting to see what eg Liverpool boats will look like in another 20 or 30 years.

C Pegg pretty much nailed it. Perhaps one omission.

Self build shell/boats.

Most are hideous E.E.L example being the nadir. But there is one on the Wey that is a great shell obvs a talented fabricator.

Edited by mark99