Can anyone recommend an invertor

Strettonman

Featured Posts

I've had several 12v fridges over the years, changed to a mains one for convenience and found it to be quieter, quicker to cool down, and more efficient. As we keep the inverter on 24x7 for various other reasons I'll stay with it.

Also I've tried various 12v tv's in the past but 240v won every time for performance and range of functionality - although I do still have a 12v Sky box which has little functionality but fantastic performance and very low power consumption.

I wouldn't believe anything I read on a 12v Facebook forum.

51 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I've had several 12v fridges over the years, changed to a mains one for convenience and found it to be quieter, quicker to cool down, and more efficient. As we keep the inverter on 24x7 for various other reasons I'll stay with it.

Also I've tried various 12v tv's in the past but 240v won every time for performance and range of functionality - although I do still have a 12v Sky box which has little functionality but fantastic performance and very low power consumption.

This is the truth of it. I fail to understand why anyone these days sticks with 12 volt. Problem is I suppose many people dont have extensive experience of continuous liveabord useage and have not kept up with the times. Yes twenty years ago when the new 12volt stuff was coming inand replaced the early 12 volt stuff it was a better way than mains but with the huge improvements with inverters and mains equipment recently the facts are as born out by my and others full time use 24/7 365 that 12 volt is no longer the way to go. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Agreed. H\d 2 x 12v years ago but only go the 230v route now for same reasons. My introduction 20 odd years ago was the 12v bible. However, never to old to learn and there's always useful information in various places including some on FB. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I've given good advice to newbies on FB so it's not all crap.

thanks for the link!

thanks for the link!

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

This is the truth of it. I fail to understand why anyone these days sticks with 12 volt. Problem is I suppose many people dont have extensive experience of continuous liveabord useage and have not kept up with the times. Yes twenty years ago when the new 12volt stuff was coming inand replaced the early 12 volt stuff it was a better way than mains but with the huge improvements with inverters and mains equipment recently the facts are as born out by my and others full time use 24/7 365 that 12 volt is no longer the way to go. 

I believe that for your purposes your system and Dr Bobs are probably pretty optimal. 

They meet your needs well, involve active boating ( for want of a better description) and engaged ownership.

however the average new boat dweller cannot afford state of the art, doesnt move much and probably employs older technology.

( ive got 200 amp hours of batteries so i can run 50 amps a day for four days and then run the engine for a bit  type thinking)

for me an electrical update was an advec and an 80 amp alternator not a 45 and i think this would not be uncommon.

so you are right not up with the times like lots of people.

However with a 1930s engine room and everything modern hidden out of sight thats my choice. If i had common sense id have a hidden silenced   Remote start diesel mains genny somewhere in the hold, but lifes too short.

• Greenie 1

For those who are interested in understanding boat technology there are books. Nigel Calder is the man who wrote the book:  Boat Owners Electrical and Mechanical Manual. It is a compendium of information. The experience of several lifetimes of several experienced boat engineers.

I am at that most hazardous of stages "a little learning is a dangerous thing", which certainly applies when it comes to boat electrics.

There is a series of vlogs on Youtube which is available to those of us who are attempting to gain more understanding. It is not or the fainthearted. And of course it is talking about North American codes, however, there is much to learn from this approach. Safety first. 

Edited by LadyG