Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
jonesthenuke

Staffs and Worcs between Kidderminster and Kinver

Featured Posts

Seems to have been a landslip blocking the canal

 

https://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/17470262.video-shows-landslide-into-canal-near-kidderminster/

 

Notice Details
From Date:
1st March 2019 at 14:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Vegetation
Description:

A landslide has caused trees to fall into the canal and block navigation just above Wolverley Locks. As a result, this section of canal will be closed until we are able to remove the trees.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Location:
Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal
Starts At:
Lock 8 Wolverley Lock
Ends At:
Lock 8 Wolverley Lock

 

 

Edited by jonesthenuke
CRT stoppage details added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if there will be a long drawn out debate on whose responsible for the repairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I wonder if there will be a long drawn out debate on whose responsible for the repairs.

Assuming that the newspaper is correct in saying that it is a burst water main, the water supply company for Kiddderminster area (Severn Trent) have a clear legal responsibility for damage arising. Hopefully CaRT are appointing one of the specialist consultants who deal with this type of event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least there will be decent access for the plant needed to shift the trees etc.!

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/03/2019 at 18:15, jonesthenuke said:

Seems to have been a landslip blocking the canal

 

https://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/17470262.video-shows-landslide-into-canal-near-kidderminster/

 

Notice Details

From Date:
1st March 2019 at 14:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Vegetation
Description:

A landslide has caused trees to fall into the canal and block navigation just above Wolverley Locks. As a result, this section of canal will be closed until we are able to remove the trees.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Location:

Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal
Starts At:
Lock 8 Wolverley Lock
Ends At:
Lock 8 Wolverley Lock

 

 

Fro Facebook

 

 

4030BC90-2B97-425C-BA21-8DF466F90E21.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BEngo said:

At least there will be decent access for the plant needed to shift the trees etc.!

N

I am guessing the road is closed as there is no ground under it looking at the latest photos on Facebook. the trees have all been chopped off but the roots and soil are still in the canal. I don't know if they will need to pile the offside before dredging to stop the rest sliding in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that a row of big interlocking piles will be needed to stabilise the road embankment/shelf then reinstate the road, clear the trees and dredge with a long dipper arm.   Or something.

Can't see the S&W opening any time soon though, because of the instability of the road rather than because CART/Keir/Land and Water can't clear the canal.

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another stretch of bank that has previously slipped near there, adjacent to a bridge and last time we passed it was still just covered with a tarpaulin. Whilst some of the canal is cut through the sandstone in other areas its a soft sandy bank and thus liable to slip.  Unless there has been specific sighting of a water leak from the water main mentioned above, I would not be surprised if the bank slipped and caused the pipe breach rather than the other way around.

Edited by jonesthenuke
typo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh dear, we were intending to be passing through there in about 3 weeks. Should I not hold my breath?

Looks like you'll be having a bit of a detour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest from CRT:

 

Update on 07/03/2019:

 

Our contractors are going to mobilise on Monday the 11th of March and start excavating material on Tuesday the 12th. Please be aware there is a real risk with removing the spoil from the canal because presently it might offer support to the material above it, which in turn supports the road. The works will be monitored by our own Engineers and Worcester Council Engineers and should further slippage occur the spoil excavation works may have to be halted to prevent the road being undermined.  

Further updates will follow on Tuesday the 12th of March.

 

Glad we did the S&W last year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Latest from CRT:

 

Update on 07/03/2019:

 

Our contractors are going to mobilise on Monday the 11th of March and start excavating material on Tuesday the 12th. Please be aware there is a real risk with removing the spoil from the canal because presently it might offer support to the material above it, which in turn supports the road. The works will be monitored by our own Engineers and Worcester Council Engineers and should further slippage occur the spoil excavation works may have to be halted to prevent the road being undermined.  

Further updates will follow on Tuesday the 12th of March.

 

Glad we did the S&W last year!

Is the road above closed to traffic or in use does anyone on here know???

We were hoping to go this way mid April but with the combined "talents" of CRT, Severn Trent and Council Highways "working in partnership" I'm not going to put money on it. 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Is the road above closed to traffic or in use does anyone on here know???

We were hoping to go this way mid April but with the combined "talents" of CRT, Severn Trent and Council Highways "working in partnership" I'm not going to put money on it. 😞 

I read somewhere it was closed.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone know what happened yesterday??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Halsey said:

does anyone know what happened yesterday??

Not seen any reports, waiting to know if we will be able to get to Stourport for Easter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't they mobilising yesterday in order to assess today?  Iirc, they said there'd be an update today after the assessment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Not seen any reports, waiting to know if we will be able to get to Stourport for Easter.

Ditto...……………..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on 13/03/2019:

 

 

During the course of yesterday and today our contractor has been mobilising plant to site.  Despite some very unfavourable conditions they have been able to receive all plant to site using the Lock Inn as an access point. 

They are now ready to start to carefully remove material which they will begin, weather permitting, tomorrow.  We have experienced heavy rain today, saturating and potentially weakening the exposed slope.  We are unsure how the slope will react to our excavation, but we want to give it the best chance.  So we plan to commence works with a full day ahead of us tomorrow.  This will be a critical time in the programme, and so we will update at the end of tomorrows operations hopefully with a better understanding of how successful we think we might be and how long it will take

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another:

 

Update on 13/03/2019:

 

Our contractors started to excavate this morning having reviewed the condition of the slope the previous day.

WCC attended site with the Trust and provided us with ongoing advice whilst we carefully removed material form the canal.

Our joint observations confirmed that we could continue to cautiously remove material and were able to create a small channel by late morning and start to supervise the passage boats.

A total of 80T of material was removed from the canal, which given the nature of the work, is a great achievement.

This afternoon five boats had been moved past the slip.

Two unoccupied boats are awaiting passage with our supervision as soon as the owners are contacted.

The canal remains closed whilst we assess the stability of the slope following our operations.  We remain concerned about the unsupported material at the top of the slope which includes the road itself.

Progress to fully reinstate the cutting and support to the road will be investigated by WCC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better news, fingers crossed:

 

Update on 14/03/2019:

Our contractors have managed to dredge a narrow route through the slippage that will allow boats to pass through under supervision. Further works to stabilise the embankment will be undertaken by Severn Trent & Worcestershire County Council in the near future.

Although the canal is closed between Wolverley and Debdale Locks. Starting on the 14th of March at 3.00pm the closed section will be opened for boats to pass through the slip on the following times each day, to include weekends – 9.00am to 10.00am and 2.00pm to 3.00pm. The open times will be reviewed weekly.

Please note: If any further slips occur the canal maybe temporarily closed again until further investigations have taken place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2019 at 15:00, BruceinSanity said:

Better news, fingers crossed:

 

Update on 14/03/2019:

Our contractors have ....

I've been unable to find a more recent update than this on on the CRT website, but that's now 11 days old.  Can anyone shed any further light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.