C&RT website, and Newsletters

LadyG

Featured Posts

Is it just me being narky, but that latest newsletter raised my BP, do they go out of their way to irritate. Plastics, they don't even recycle if they can avoid it, and I'm not there to donate to them until such times as I think they know what they are doing. It's not news or information, it's just all rather sickly self congratulations, and too much bright blue.

Rant over.

Edited by LadyG

On 28/02/2019 at 23:33, LadyG said:

Is it just me being narky, but that latest newsletter raised my BP, do they go out of their way to irritate. Plastics, they don't even recycle if they can avoid it, and I'm not there to donate to them until such times as I think they know what they are doing. It's not news or information, it's just all rather sickly self congratulations, and too much bright blue.

Rant over.

Ooh a CART knocker. Careful, you will be pilloried with rotten fruit and bywash clearings. 

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Ooh a CART knocker. Careful, you will be pilloried with rotten fruit and bywash clearings. 

I am not sure if folk are aware of the issues behind refuse collection. Firstly, CART (ie we) have to pay for each collection at trade rates and the locations are very much at the mercy of the collection company to accept - they have no obligation to do so (unlike domestic collections) Further, recycling is entirely separate and may even involve more than one collection company, depending on what they will recycle. If no company is available at a given site then no recycling!

OK, I understand it's not easy getting things organised, I just get the impression it's low on their priorities. They have yet to respond to my message about it,  but there you go........... Another missive arrived today, again sickly sweet, I've unsubscribed.

I unsubscribed when GDPR coming in required some action from me to keep on getting them. At least I think that's what happened. Not received one for ages. I've read enough corporate content-lite newsletters over the years from other organisations.

Jen

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

OK, I understand it's not easy getting things organised, I just get the impression it's low on their priorities. They have yet to respond to my message about it,  but there you go........... Another missive arrived today, again sickly sweet, I've unsubscribed.

Out of interest, if recycling cost more, would you be happy to have a licence fee increase to cover it?

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Out of interest, if recycling cost more, would you be happy to have a licence fee increase to cover it?

A little bit more,,maybe £30 per annum.  but I have a strategy worked out ie. leaving most packaging at the supermarket, I can do it as I leave, and also drop stuff in on my next visit ........  I can burn stuff as well, just like in Ye Olden Days. I would think a big problem is ensuring boaters do the re-cycling job properly, it;s bad enough here, where the bins can be left un-emptied if they are contaminated. I think some folks will just throw any stuff in to any half empty bin.

Edited by LadyG

I get the feeling that crt aren’t bothered about recycling but do it because they feel they must.  So I turn up at the bins with my sorted rubbish only to find the dirty bin is full and everybody has started to put their dirty stuff into the recycle bin.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I get the feeling that crt aren’t bothered about recycling but do it because they feel they must.  So I turn up at the bins with my sorted rubbish only to find the dirty bin is full and everybody has started to put their dirty stuff into the recycle bin.

So is it CRT dumping all the general rubbish in the recycling bin or boaters who cant be bothered to sort it and non boaters of course.

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So is it CRT dumping all the general rubbish in the recycling bin or boaters who cant be bothered to sort it and non boaters of course.

If there are only 2 bins and the dirty bin is full where do you put your bag of rubbish?  So I sort, but often find that boaters have used the recycling bin for general rubbish often because the dirty bin is full, but you are correct that some don’t care and just  use the nearest bin.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

A little bit more,,maybe £30 per annum.  but I have a strategy worked out ie. leaving most packaging at the supermarket, I can do it as I leave, and also drop stuff in on my next visit ........  I can burn stuff as well, just like in Ye Olden Days. I would think a big problem is ensuring boaters do the re-cycling job properly, it;s bad enough here, where the bins can be left un-emptied if they are contaminated. I think some folks will just throw any stuff in to any half empty bin.

and when burning stuff on boats is banned on the grounds that it is more polluting than plastic . . . ?

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

and when burning stuff on boats is banned on the grounds that it is more polluting than plastic . . . ?

I'll be gone by then, but I think air pollution legislation is going to affect the urban boater initially.  I don't think it is easy to "compare" one form of pollution to another, but it is much easier to measure air pollution.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'll be gone by then, but I think air pollution legislation is going to affect the urban boater initially.

How do you differentiate between an urban boater and a non-urban boater, and what do you term someone who cruises from countryside, through suburbia to urbia and back out again.?

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

How do you differentiate between an urban boater and a non-urban boater, and what do you term someone who cruises from countryside, through suburbia to urbia and back out again.?

All right then, it's the London c/moorers who are most likely to be affected.........

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

All right then, it's the London c/moorers who are most likely to be affected.........

Yep, it’s only a matter of time before smoke control is applied to boats, initially by limiting fuel types, and for designated areas such as inside the m25 charging boats with high emission engines a fee to enter and further fees if they remain.

22 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'll be gone by then, but I think air pollution legislation is going to affect the urban boater initially.  I don't think it is easy to "compare" one form of pollution to another, but it is much easier to measure air pollution.

I think the expectation is that we will see more restrictive nationwide legislation rather than local bylaws, although they may start earlier. There is also talk of banning gas cookers, beginning with new properties. Since I guess you are not contemplating giving up boating any time soon, I suspect that some of these changes - if indeed they make it onto the statute book - will affect you . . .