Insurance

CLAN1

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

And if they don't like their servants they will go  next door, or furter,  to find some other victims servants .  We have been  the  victims of such cats in the past.

We had chickens like that, but they did lay in the front flower bed from time to time before going home again

15 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

I find boat insurance is very cheap compared with cars. The only thing that bumps up the premium is when you want to include any contents.

That was always the case but not anymore. Last year for the first time we added contents insurance as liveaboards and it was very cheap and didnt alter the premium by iirc more than £25

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You never own a cat.

Cats have servants / slaves.

Thousands of years ago cats were revered as gods by the Ancient Egyptians.

And they haven't forgotten. ?

Edited by cuthound
Duplicate posting
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to revive this thread. We’ve been with GJW for the past year. We’re liveaboards with some expensive gear, so the renewal quote for combined boat+contents policy was £321 this month. We needed to tweak the policy on account of my fancy new hearing aids but when the quote came back, the covering email pointed out that the contents element only applied whilst on the boat and that we would need the Worldwide version for cover off the boat. Obviously, there’s not much point insuring stuff like a laptop or hearing aids if it doesn’t cover you the moment you go visiting family or even just get off to work a lock, so we asked for a quote for the Worldwide version.

It was £547. Looks like we’ll be changing insurer this year.

5 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Just to revive this thread. We’ve been with GJW for the past year. We’re liveaboards with some expensive gear, so the renewal quote for combined boat+contents policy was £321 this month. We needed to tweak the policy on account of my fancy new hearing aids but when the quote came back, the covering email pointed out that the contents element only applied whilst on the boat and that we would need the Worldwide version for cover off the boat. Obviously, there’s not much point insuring stuff like a laptop or hearing aids if it doesn’t cover you the moment you go visiting family or even just get off to work a lock, so we asked for a quote for the Worldwide version.

That is an interesting quote, I've just (today) renewed our insurance as a continuous cruiser with GJW on a 60 boat valued at £50,000 and contents valued at £5,000, the premium was £192.88 which was a 'shocking' increase of £11 on last year (irony alert, I'm actually quite happy with this:rolleyes:). By comparison our buildings insurance on our property, currently being live in by our daughter, has gone up by over £100 and we cannot get a better quote anywhere else.

10 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Obviously, there’s not much point insuring stuff like a laptop or hearing aids if it doesn’t cover you the moment you go visiting family or even just get off to work a lock

Is it YOU that is covered, or the Boat & Contents ?

Shirley - you lap-top (etc) would remain on the boat when you went to work a lock ?

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it YOU that is covered, or the Boat & Contents ?

Shirley - you lap-top (etc) would remain on the boat when you went to work a lock ?

I dont think he stays on the boat with his lap top and hearing aids 24 hours a day 365 days a year, think holidays, visiting family etc.

On 28/02/2019 at 18:09, WotEver said:

One of our dogs is £75/month and the other is £65/month. I’d snatch anyone’s hand off for £6/month. 

That's a lot of money if I was you I would be banking the £1680 in a separate account so it's there when needed 

25 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

It used to be really difficult to get cover for items off the boat, when I was looking, years ago, didn't find anyone that would cover that so gave up and took the risk and just had cover from GJW.

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It used to be really difficult to get cover for items off the boat, when I was looking, years ago, didn't find anyone that would cover that so gave up and took the risk and just had cover from GJW.

How about 12 months multi trip holiday insurance that covers overseas as well as UK

1 hour ago, luggsy said:

That's a lot of money if I was you I would be banking the £1680 in a separate account so it's there when needed 

The trouble is, that wouldn’t have got close to the £1500 followed by £4500 bills one of them racked up. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

How about 12 months multi trip holiday insurance that covers overseas as well as UK

You have to be careful to read the small print on some of those travel/holiday  insurances 

I had a travel policy and thought it would cover me while I was on holiday on my own boat , But it did not.

I don't recall the exact wording but conditions included having to pay for accommodation - so staying on my own boat or staying with relatives for example would  be excluded. Also travelling for work was excluded.

• Happy 1

Thanks for the input, folk. Apparently a lot of the cheaper house contents policies also only cover the property hilt in the house. Looks like a load a research needed tomorrow, including separate insurance for the hearing aids, which are the main worry, over three grand for the pair and obviously more vulnerable off the boat than on.

Now on my second glass of Barossa Shiraz, yum, so signing off for the night ?.

Taken from my GJW policy for our boat, policy expires in April:

Provided that Endorsement 1 is agreed and noted on the Certificate and subject to the
Conditions Precedent, Limitations and the other terms of the Policy, we shall cover your
Contents and the Contents of your Immediate Family against physical loss or damage,
however caused whilst in the Vessel and in outhouses, garages, sheds and the like used in
connection with the Vessel and whilst in transit anywhere in the United Kingdom. We shall also
cover your Contents and the Contents of your Immediate Family whilst in any occupied
private residence built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with slates, concrete or asphalt
anywhere within the United Kingdom.

Interestingly, our other boat (one is for sale) which was insured from November, does NOT cover contents in transit.

They have changed their policy and it's descriptive name from All Inclusive Inland Policy to Narrowboat & Barge Policy and have reduced the benefits and to some degree, clarity of what is and isn't covered.

After many ,non-claim years with GJW and many referrals/recommendations, We WILL be looking around when renewal is due.

7 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

They have changed their policy and it's descriptive name from All Inclusive Inland Policy to Narrowboat & Barge Policy and have reduced the benefits and to some degree, clarity of what is and isn't covered.

Thanks for that, confirms our understanding and reassures us that we’re not going mad. Basically, they now want another £200 for the in transit cover and it’s beginning to look like we’ll have to pay it. Most other companies don’t offer it at all and Towergate Mardon quoted me £750 for an equivalent policy with Navigators and General.

What’s also worrying is that the routine renewal documents didn’t point this out and it was only because we were tweaking the exceptional items declaration that we found out. Moral: if you insure with GJW, watch out at renewal time!

19 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Thanks for that, confirms our understanding and reassures us that we’re not going mad. Basically, they now want another £200 for the in transit cover and it’s beginning to look like we’ll have to pay it. Most other companies don’t offer it at all and Towergate Mardon quoted me £750 for an equivalent policy with Navigators and General.

What’s also worrying is that the routine renewal documents didn’t point this out and it was only because we were tweaking the exceptional items declaration that we found out. Moral: if you insure with GJW, watch out at renewal time!

Forgot to add what I paid in November. 70ft, £80k + £5k contents cover - £240. However, whilst I'm also living at a house, personal belongings etc are covered away from home.

14 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Taken from my GJW policy for our boat, policy expires in April:

Provided that Endorsement 1 is agreed and noted on the Certificate and subject to the
Conditions Precedent, Limitations and the other terms of the Policy, we shall cover your
Contents and the Contents of your Immediate Family against physical loss or damage,
however caused whilst in the Vessel and in outhouses, garages, sheds and the like used in
connection with the Vessel and whilst in transit anywhere in the United Kingdom. We shall also
cover your Contents and the Contents of your Immediate Family whilst in any occupied
private residence built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with slates, concrete or asphalt
anywhere within the United Kingdom.

Interestingly, our other boat (one is for sale) which was insured from November, does NOT cover contents in transit.

After many ,non-claim years with GJW and many referrals/recommendations, We WILL be looking around when renewal is due.

What about private residence with a roof of tiles?

I don't fully understand insurance. The premium is closely related to the declared value of the boat. This would suggest that pay-outs due to total loss are a significant occurrence as the value of the boat should not influence third party claims and smaller accidents. Even more interesting is that if you ask for "agreed value" cover the premium almost doubles which suggests that on average the companies reckon to pay out only about half of your declared value in the case of a total loss. This suggests that most people are over-declaring the value of their boat relative to the insurers valuation and so paying too high a premium??????????

...............Dave 

12 hours ago, dmr said:

I don't fully understand insurance. The premium is closely related to the declared value of the boat. This would suggest that pay-outs due to total loss are a significant occurrence as the value of the boat should not influence third party claims and smaller accidents. Even more interesting is that if you ask for "agreed value" cover the premium almost doubles which suggests that on average the companies reckon to pay out only about half of your declared value in the case of a total loss. This suggests that most people are over-declaring the value of their boat relative to the insurers valuation and so paying too high a premium??????????

...............Dave 

Full explanation of the principles of insurance at the end of this: