Insurance

CLAN1

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, CLAN1 said:

Hi just received quote for instance renewal £186 for liveabord 48ft no claims seems rather expensive, any suggestions for other companies welcome, cheers.

Strangely enough I renewed mine ten minutes ago at £183. Liveaboard with contents cover. I didnt shop around this year. Too lazy.

1 hour ago, CLAN1 said:

Hi just received quote for instance renewal £186 for liveabord 48ft no claims seems rather expensive, any suggestions for other companies welcome, cheers.

Seems about right. Just renewed ours today at £209. 

ETA: This does include UK coastal and European cover. Forgot to add that in the initial reply!

Edited by Naughty Cal

My insurance renewal , almost due,  went up 20% compared to last year but when I shopped around I only found one cheaper.  And that , with Saga, was only by a couple of quid so I am sticking with my present insurer this time .  It seems I had a good deal from my present insurer last year.

What I did find by shopping around was significant variations in prices.

I will not say what I am paying as it includes UK coastal so not fair to compare with the great majority on this forum who are inland waterways only. However it is quite clear to me the premium is calculated on the value of the boat (and not its length) with consideration also given to where the boat is usually kept and the cruising range. 

I do think premiums for boat insurance have gone up greater than inflation and quite a lot more than some other insurances.  

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I will not say what I am paying as it includes UK coastal so not fair to compare with the great majority on this forum who are inland waterways only. 

I found that the 'coastal' was the same as 'European' (including French, Belgium, Dutch, UK, Irish & German Inland waterways)

I asked for a quote for both options and the price was identical.

I also could extend it to include the North Sea to Norway & Denmark at no extra cost.

Cruising Range Map.png

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I found that the 'coastal' was the same as 'European' (including French, Belgium, Dutch, UK, Irish & German Inland waterways)

I asked for a quote for both options and the price was identical.

I also could extend it to include the North Sea to Norway & Denmark at no extra cost.

That’s interesting.  I have an ambition to do the Netherlands and through France  to the med at some time.

But not while at the same time being in full time employment.

The chief officer and my pension adviser both, quite correctly ,  expect to be better off if I keep working.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

That’s interesting.  I have an ambition to do the Netherlands and through France  to the med at some time.

But not while at the same time being in full time employment.

The chief officer and my pension adviser both, quite correctly ,  expect to be better off if I keep working.

As you know some friends of ours are currently embarking on this trip and have currently made it to the Med having travelled through Holland, Belgium, France and now into Spain.

They say they should have done it years earlier as it is quite a physically demanding trip.

If you are going to do it don't leave it too late.

38 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I do think premiums for boat insurance have gone up greater than inflation and quite a lot more than some other insurances.  

I think everything has gone up faster than inflation.

Except the Govt pension

Edited by LadyG

21 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There is that risk.

I can easily rustle up alternative plans a swell as or instead of taking our own boat

For example -

• Chartering boats  in France or  the med , or wherever.
  • Our friends who chartered with us last year are in the process of buying a yacht  and may need a hand with sailing that .

30 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

As you know some friends of ours are currently embarking on this trip and have currently made it to the Med having travelled through Holland, Belgium, France and now into Spain.

They say they should have done it years earlier as it is quite a physically demanding trip.

My friend and his wife did it this year and ate 74, that is in a sailing boat

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I git the house insurance 40% cheaper than the renewal quote and a fair bit cheaper than last years price by changing from Tesco to the Halifax

I got quite large sum off this years house insurance too. Or more accurately avoided being over charged.  Simply by completing a form online as a new customer with the same insurer I received a lower premium. I have done this several times over the years and only had one year when an acceptable  renewal premium was offered.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

My friend and his wife did it this year and at 74, that is in a sailing boat

Good to hear that .

I am a long way off that age.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think everything has gone up faster than inflation.

Except the Govt pension

Not everything - some stuff like computers are no more than they were 20 years ago

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I git the house insurance 40% cheaper than the renewal quote and a fair bit cheaper than last years price by changing from Tesco to the Halifax

Tesco have a "suck you in strategy", I had the same with pet insurance, went from £4 pcm to £6.00 for accident cover, I just cancelled.

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Tesco have a "suck you in strategy", I had the same with pet insurance, went from £4 pcm to £6.00 for accident cover, I just cancelled.

One of our dogs is £75/month and the other is £65/month. I’d snatch anyone’s hand off for £6/month. 

• Horror 1

If the costs of keeping a pet are too great a part time pet is the answer .

Next doors cat visits us and has done so since he was a kitten.

We do feed him occasionally.

Advantages  are 

• No vet fees and no insurance to pay
  • No worries and no cost when we go on holiday 
  • If we forget to buy cat food he goes home.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

16 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If the costs of keeping a pet are too great a part time pet is the answer .

Next doors cat visits us and has done so since he was a kitten.

We do feed him occasionally.

Advantages  are 

• No vet fees and no insurance to pay
  • No worries and no cost when we go on holiday 
  • If we forget to buy cat food he goes home.

You never own a cat.

Cats have servants / slaves.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You never own a cat.

Cats have servants / slaves.

And if they don't like their servants they will go  next door, or furter,  to find some other victims servants .  We have been  the  victims of such cats in the past.

• Happy 1