TV licence

dor

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Strictly speaking, the 1824 Act defined the yard, not the foot, and by reference to a model yard (standard) at that time, not to the atomic constants by which the metre is now definied. As I said, since 1959 the foot has been defined in terms of the international (SI) metre, so it is exactly 0.3048 of the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 second.

Which is a totally relevant, and easily understood constant :cheers:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I need to measure up for a new carpet. Now, how to seal the room for a vacuum...

The point is that you don't need to set up the experiment, just to know that somebody has done it and your own measuring stick is in full agreement with it,

This is called standardisation. The science of ensuring the standards are properly defined is metrology. Without it, aeroplanes would fall out of the sky.  

32 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

..but if you are measuring the room for a carpet,it's best to use metres because that's how carpets are made and sold.

But I still need to seal the room up and measure a photon. 

33 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

This is called standardisation. The science of ensuring the standards are properly defined is metrology. Without it, aeroplanes would fall out of the sky.  

So why don’t vintage British aircraft fall out of the sky? They’re all made to good old-fasioned feet and inches, none of this modern metric stuff. 

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

The point is that you don't need to set up the experiment, just to know that somebody has done it and your own measuring stick is in full agreement with it,

Interestingly I  bought a tape measure from B&Q yesterday, it had a small label attached to it that, whilst in the shop the print was too small for me to read. When I got it home and dug my glasses out it clearly reads 'Made in China. Measurements are approximate" I didn't pay £1.95 for a tape measure that will tell me that the piece of wood is approximately 2 metres long!!!!:angry:

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You can mute the spoken directions and just have the visual guidance if you prefer Mike. I often use my (built in) Nav like that, particularly on familiar journeys where I'm  really only monitoring the traffic situation.

hmmmnn .... why bother with SatNav when you know where you are going?

22 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Many modern satnavs check traffic conditions on the route and redirect you if there is a  prolonged hold up, to prevent you joining the queue. 

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Many modern satnavs check traffic conditions on the route and redirect you if there is a  prolonged hold up, to prevent you joining the queue. 

Whhaaaaat! What happened to our RIGHT to sit in a queue.As a British citizen it my fundemental right to sit in a queue. I hope it gives you an option before taking away this right?

Edited by rusty69

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

But I still need to seal the room up and measure a photon. 

So why don’t vintage British aircraft fall out of the sky? They’re all made to good old-fasioned feet and inches, none of this modern metric stuff. 

Perhaps because they have no electronics, no hydraulic systems, no GPS based navigational aids, no gas turbines ....

Why do you need to measure a photon? Isn't an expert's measurement good enough for you?

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I didn't pay £1.95 for a tape measure that will tell me that the piece of wood is approximately 2 metres long!!

No tape measure ever made can tell you a piece of wood is exactly 2 metres long!

The approximation is near enough, though, for practical purposes.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You can mute the spoken directions and just have the visual guidance if you prefer Mike. I often use my (built in) Nav like that, particularly on familiar journeys where I'm  really only monitoring the traffic situation.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

How can I put this...

To monitor the traffic situation!  :D  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

...so it is exactly 0.3048 of the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 second.

My missus is nippier than me with it but, even with her driving, I can't imagine the light in our vacuum moves very much at all in that brief time! ;)

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I think you are missing the point. This IS how I use my satnav.

Athy was proposing doing the opposite (turn off the screen and listen to the voice), and I was squabbling with him about how hopeless that would be!

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Detector vans?  I bet you believe in Santa as well.

I did my high school work experience with the TV detector vans, they worked well back then.

Favourite story in the office was a visit to a house where a woman was just dashing out on the school run, and told the chap in the van "Sorry I'm running late, but my husband will be back in half an hour, and our TV licence is in the top left hand drawer in the desk in the lounge."

TV bloke goes back 40 minutes later.

TV bloke: "Hello, TV licencing, I believe your licence is in the top left hand drawer in the desk in your lounge, may I see it please?"

Husband: "F***ing Hell! I didn't know your vans were that accurate!" 

• Greenie 1