TV licence

dor

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

(Pedant alert) the highlighted bit of text isn't a tautological example since it requires different words to be used, your example is what us older people tend to do, repeat something 'cos we forgot we've already said it:huh:. As a Tautological example you could have said," Repeating yourself and saying the same thing twice", but of course you knew that didn't you? it was just a school test;)

It was a joke and a pleasantry.

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Modern cars tend to have Satnav linked to the audio system. If its set to now show anything on the display (ie be audio only), it will mute or turn down the radio when it makes an announcement, then turns it up again.

genuine-vw-highline-red-dis-instrument-c

Yes, ours does this.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Only if you habitually measure your speed in furlongs per fortnight.

We got stuck behind someone who obviously did, on the Oxford summit last year.

The one in my car (and the one on my phone Waze, which I prefer) give distances to the turning in feet. Irritating since i think in yards and road sign are in metres, which is nearly the same thing.

However I've trained myself to think 300 yards when she says "turn right in 1000 feet".

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

The one in my car (and the one on my phone Waze, which I prefer) give distances to the turning in feet. Irritating since i think in yards and road sign are in metres, which is nearly the same thing.

However I've trained myself to think 300 yards when she says "turn right in 1000 feet".

You're thinking 300 metres, even if you don't admit it! A thousand feet is 333 yards!

I agree that Splatnavs scoring in miles and feet are annoying, though. Decimal miles would be better - that's how the trip counter in the car works. .

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You're thinking 300 metres, even if you don't admit it! A thousand feet is 333 yards!

I agree that Splatnavs scoring in miles and feet are annoying, though. Decimal miles would be better - that's how the trip counter in the car works. .

In know that 1000 feet is 333 yrds and about 300 metres, but for the purpose of knowing when to turn the difference is negligable.

Decimal miles is an excellent way forward as you can count down to the turn, just like the Halda rally computer on the Mini I used to rally in the early 70's. ?

9 hours ago, Johny London said:

Mine's built into the car so it will turn the music down if it has something to say (as will the hands free phone) but unfortunately the yankee woman doing the voice (on the sat nav) is so appalling it has to be set to silenced all the time (annoying yankee drawl) "In five eighths of a mile..."

I have to say that on the occasions that I have a car with satnav I always turn off the voice. On the dashboard I invariably have a speedometer, fuel gauge, a variety of warning lights and tend to regard the satnav as just something else that I can visually check at a time of my choosing when there isn't anything going on ahead of me that requires additional attention. Likewise, I will converse with passengers if there isn't anything going on ahead that requires additional attention but then I will immediately drop out of any conversations should something occur.

The problem with leaving the voice on is that it may be trying to pass information when my concentration is required elsewhere so I either don't hear it, or only hear part of it whereas by just glancing at the satnav screen when necessary I get the information required without being distracted any more than I am when I look at the speedometer or check for warning lights. 

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Paul C said:

Modern cars tend to have Satnav linked to the audio system. If its set to now show anything on the display (ie be audio only), it will mute or turn down the radio when it makes an announcement, then turns it up again.

Yes my phone satnav does this, which makes R4 virtually unlistenable as 25-30% of the time, the satnav is interrupting. 

When BLUETOOTH connected to the van hifi, that is.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes my phone satnav does this, which makes R4 virtually unlistenable as 25-30% of the time, the satnav is interrupting. 

When BLUETOOTH connected to the van hifi, that is.

You can mute the spoken directions and just have the visual guidance if you prefer Mike. I often use my (built in) Nav like that, particularly on familiar journeys where I'm  really only monitoring the traffic situation.

15 hours ago, Paul C said:

My satnav from 20 years ago has a configuration page where the units can be chosen.

So has mine, but you can only make choices within prescribed limits. If you want miles, you get feet too, not decimal miles.

Of course, had we truly gone metric back in the 1960s there would be no problem at all - km and metres everywhere.

You do realise that "Imperial" measurements are actually defined in terms of SI units? A foot is 0.3048 metres exactly, and has been since 1959.

Sadly there are too many in this country who a) live in the past and b) see anything new from outside of the country as suspect.

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

...and for some time before that - 150 years or so.

Strictly speaking, the 1824 Act defined the yard, not the foot, and by reference to a model yard (standard) at that time, not to the atomic constants by which the metre is now definied. As I said, since 1959 the foot has been defined in terms of the international (SI) metre, so it is exactly 0.3048 of the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 second.

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Strictly speaking, the 1824 Act defined the yard, not the foot, and by reference to a model yard (standard) at that time, not to the atomic constants by which the metre is now definied. As I said, since 1959 the foot has been defined in terms of the international (SI) metre, so it is exactly 0.3048 of the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 second.

Oh come on, feet were in use before that. How do you think people walked?

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

You do realise that "Imperial" measurements are actually defined in terms of SI units? A foot is 0.3048 metres exactly, and has been since 1959.

And the actual definition of metre has changed a number of times, the most recent in the 1980's.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

And the actual definition of metre has changed a number of times, the most recent in the 1980's.

And with it the definition of the foot, which is still 0.3048 of whatever is internationally agreed to be a metre. There is no escaping it!

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Oh come on, feet were in use before that. How do you think people walked?

You mentioned 150 years -- should it have been 150,000 years?

And with it the definition of the foot, which is still 0.3048 of whatever is internationally agreed to be a metre. There is no escaping it!

You mentioned 150 years -- should it have been 150,000 years?

:clapping:

Game, set and metre.