TV licence

dor

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

How do you get on if you have a few bevvies in your motor home of an evening with no plans to go anywhere

Put the keys in an outside locker or on the rear tyre?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

How do you get on if you have a few bevvies in your motor home of an evening with no plans to go anywhere

Technically, if you are in a 'public place' whether on a road or not, you are in charge of the vehicle and, if you are over the drink drive limit, you will be committing an offence, your 'plans' might change (partner taken ill during the night?). The only way out of this is for you to have no means of driving the vehicle, which would mean that someone, somewhere else has the keys. Whilst you still have access to the keys (even if put on the rear tyre of the vehicle:wacko:) you remain 'in charge'. I have in the past 'helped' a driver out in this circumstance and agreed to take his keys to the Police Station where he could recover them when he blew below the legal limit after sleeping it off in his car. Sadly, when he called up to say he thought he might be below the limit and I returned to test him the reading was higher than when he originally handed his keys over. When this was pointed out to him he did admit to having had a little 'nightcap' (about 3/4 of a bottle of vodka, he was an alcoholic). It took him over a day to get a reading below the legal limit, which suggest just how high his readings were (you lose about 1 unit of alcohol an hour).  I did in fact put myself on the line for this because if he had another set of keys and had driven off and been involved in an accident I would have had some serious questions to answer. This is why it is easier just to arrest people for the offence, but on this occasion I had taken him to be genuine, and fortunately he was.

The reason for the leeway given is that the driving disqualification for being 'in charge' is discretionary, whereas for actually driving it is mandatory.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/03/2019 at 14:16, Athy said:

Same thing, albeit different direction.

I have wondered why a Sat Nav needs to have a picture. If it says "in one hundred yards, turn left into Blonk Street" you don't need a picture to show you what a left-hand turn looks like.

(I didn't make Blonk Street up: there really is one).

I have the sound turned down on my satnav as it interferes with listening to the radio. 

How would it work without the picture of where I'm going?

P.S. I'm shocked. How do you know about satnavs?

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have the sound turned down on my satnav as it interferes with listening to the radio. 

How would it work without the picture of where I'm going?

P.S. I'm shocked. How do you know about satnavs?

Mrs. Athy's latest car is fitted one, the first which we have had. 

It would work without the picture if you did not turn the sound down; in fact, surely it would be more efficient, as you would not need to take your eyes off theroad to look at the screen.

The female voice which guides us is quite reassuring and she seems to know where she's going most of the time, though the Ibis Hotel at Cambridge station baffled her (new hotel, hence new post code which is not in whatever sort of memory these things have).

My best friend's car has a satnav which speaks in a very pleasing Southern Irish female voice. He tells me that he researched the available choices and found that one the most soothing. I'm not sure if it tries to stop him at pubs.

Edited by Athy

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

It would work without the picture if you did not turn the sound down;

I tried that, but I could understand neither the satnav nor the radio. 

I'll tell something now that will probably blow your mind... I don't actually have a satnav at all. My mobile telephone functions as a satnav. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'll tell something now that will probably blow your mind... I don't actually have a satnav at all. My mobile telephone functions as a satnav. 

Therefore you have a satnav. 

Mind remains unblown.

Oh, it's pleasing to see you around these parts again by the way.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Therefore you have a satnav. 

You seem to be asserting I have a satnav that functions as a mobile telephone..... WRONG! Its a mobile telephone with satnav functionality built in. 

(And a computer.)

On 01/03/2019 at 12:09, Boater Sam said:

I love it when over inflated bureaucracy can't cope with our lifestyle choice. Sod 'em.

I love this term. Commonly used and tautology at its very best. 

How inflated ought bureaucracy to be, does the team think, to avoid inflated bureaucracy becoming over inflated?? 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I tried that, but I could understand neither the satnav nor the radio. 

I have never owned  a satnav for the car  (although my next car will have one as it is standard fitting ) . Instead I look on a map and make notes of the road numbers and sketch the main junctions. On  occasions I have used my phone . Most people prefer the phone as the maps are up to date and traffic congestion is identified .

i do have sat nav on the boat (in fact two sat navs)  - but for use on the sea .

img-2019.jpg
img-2020.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I love this term. Commonly used and tautology at its very best. 

How inflated ought bureaucracy to be? 

Enough is as good as a feast.

It's not tautology, by the way: that means saying the same thing twice saying the same thing twice. It may perhaps be hyperbole. But a balloon which floats around full of air in inflated. When it bursts, it is (or was) over-inflated. Not the same thing.

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:43, David Mack said:

Read a newspaper piece recently that said that paying by phone at a Macdonalds drive through is technically an offence if you haven't stopped the engine and applied the handbrake.

As others have commented the drive thru is off the road so the rules don't apply ...... but what if you need to pay a toll using your phone ?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

When it bursts, it is (or was) over-inflated.

Not if it was always your intention to burst it. If so, the amount of inflation would have been correct!

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

£86 million for the EastEnders set? Who'd want to be a TV licence fee payer?

If they can sell the series overseas for more than £86 million (and I suspect they can, and do) I'd say it was an excellent investment.

Modern cars tend to have Satnav linked to the audio system. If its set to now show anything on the display (ie be audio only), it will mute or turn down the radio when it makes an announcement, then turns it up again. Also their display capabilities tend to be much better thought out so they are sometimes more concise and less of a distraction; and will often link to the main dashboard in the car so there is no need to turn to eg the centre console to read/see the messages or arrows.

genuine-vw-highline-red-dis-instrument-c

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Enough is as good as a feast.

It's not tautology, by the way: that means saying the same thing twice saying the same thing twice. It may perhaps be hyperbole. But a balloon which floats around full of air in inflated. When it bursts, it is (or was) over-inflated. Not the same thing.

(Pedant alert) the highlighted bit of text isn't a tautological example since it requires different words to be used, your example is what us older people tend to do, repeat something 'cos we forgot we've already said it:huh:. As a Tautological example you could have said," Repeating yourself and saying the same thing twice", but of course you knew that didn't you? it was just a school test;)

4 hours ago, Athy said:

The female voice which guides us is quite reassuring and she seems to know where she's going most of the time, though the Ibis Hotel at Cambridge station baffled her (new hotel, hence new post code which is not in whatever sort of memory these things have).

My best friend's car has a satnav which speaks in a very pleasing Southern Irish female voice. He tells me that he researched the available choices and found that one the most soothing. I'm not sure if it tries to stop him at pubs.

Mine's built into the car so it will turn the music down if it has something to say (as will the hands free phone) but unfortunately the yankee woman doing the voice (on the sat nav) is so appalling it has to be set to silenced all the time (annoying yankee drawl) "In five eighths of a mile..."

7 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Mine's built into the car so it will turn the music down if it has something to say (as will the hands free phone) but unfortunately the yankee woman doing the voice (on the sat nav) is so appalling it has to be set to silenced all the time (annoying yankee drawl) "In five eighths of a mile..."

furlongs surely