TV licence

dor

Featured Posts

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

Common sense prevailing over a misunderstood company sales policy!

Well common sense anyway. That was the law at the time which has since been dropped. Poor lady at till would have been damned if she did or damned if she didnt. Laws are only of any sense if they can be policed which is why even though its very dangerous and kills people hands free fones are legal in cars and contribute to many accidents but policing the use of a ban on them was deemed impossible when legislation was passed. I was part of the consultation at the time. Only a complete moron uses a fone whilst driving a car, hands free or otherwise, pc remark or not!!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Only a complete moron uses a fone whilst driving a car, hands free or otherwise, pc remark or not!!

Is a PC remark the same as a remark by a former PC?   :D

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That was the law at the time which has since been dropped. Poor lady at till would have been damned if she did or damned if she didnt.

.. and you were complicit in the law breaking (not a criticism, just a fact!)

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A few years ago I went to currys in Oxford to buy a new telly. Picked one up and took it to the checkout to pay. Postcode please says the lady. I dont have one says I. Everyone has a postcode says lady and its illegal to sell you a telly without you giving your post code ( this silly law has now gone ) I live on a boat, boats dont have postcodes says I. Sorry I cant sell you the tv then. Now I could have got out of this ridiculous burearocratic nonsense easily by using anyone of a number of postcodes at my disposal but simply said ok and left the tv and walked towards the door. Gone a few steps and I hear, Excuse me sir can I help.........some bloke in a suit,  so I tells him the tale which he obviously had witnessed and he says please come to this till......he puts sale through and gives me the telly I had left on the side and I said how did you do it,  to which he replied he had simply put the stores postcode in as any postcode is accepted by the pooter. He will I suppose have been the store manager so it was a sale added to his target and common sense prevailing over red tape crap.

....and you've lived in their shop ever since.:D

31 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

hands free fones are legal in cars and contribute to many accidents.

I've heard this but don't understand it. How is talking on a hands-free phone any more dangerous than talking to another person in the car?

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Because the person you are talking to on a phone cannot see an incipient danger and stop talking.

All about reaction times.

Hmm, a thoughtful answer, but I'm not convinced: I don't suppose that children in the back notice "incipient danger" and shut up accordingly, either. 

Sat navs cause accidents too. I know they can talk to you but I often see cars with them on a holder, just to the left of their driving position. If that were a t.v. the driver would be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. Presumably sat navs are in that position so they can be looked at. Looking at a sat nav or t.v., what's the difference? The driver should only be looking at the road, concentrating on what he or she is doing.

• Greenie 2

Just now, Athy said:

Hmm, a thoughtful answer, but I'm not convinced: I don't suppose that children in the back notice "incipient danger" and shut up accordingly, either. 

Ian is not quite right but not far off. Google is your friend as there have been numerous studies on it and its well proven. Many many accidents are caused by numpties who for some illogical reason think talking to the missus about tonites dinner is more important than driving which needs one hundered percent concentration one hundred percent of the time.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

And in the driving mirrors.

Same thing, albeit different direction.

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Sat navs cause accidents too. I know they can talk to you but I often see cars with them on a holder, just to the left of their driving position. If that were a t.v. the driver would be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. Presumably sat navs are in that position so they can be looked at. Looking at a sat nav or t.v., what's the difference? The driver should only be looking at the road, concentrating on what he or she is doing.

I have wondered why a Sat Nav needs to have a picture. If it says "in one hundred yards, turn left into Blonk Street" you don't need a picture to show you what a left-hand turn looks like.

(I didn't make Blonk Street up: there really is one).

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

A few years ago I went to currys in Oxford to buy a new telly. Picked one up and took it to the checkout to pay. Postcode please says the lady. I dont have one says I. Everyone has a postcode says lady and its illegal to sell you a telly without you giving your post code ( this silly law has now gone ) I live on a boat, boats dont have postcodes says I. Sorry I cant sell you the tv then. Now I could have got out of this ridiculous burearocratic nonsense easily by using anyone of a number of postcodes at my disposal but simply said ok and left the tv and walked towards the door. Gone a few steps and I hear, Excuse me sir can I help.........some bloke in a suit,  so I tells him the tale which he obviously had witnessed and he says please come to this till......he puts sale through and gives me the telly I had left on the side and I said how did you do it,  to which he replied he had simply put the stores postcode in as any postcode is accepted by the pooter. He will I suppose have been the store manager so it was a sale added to his target and common sense prevailing over red tape crap.

I used to get this on every visit to Maplins as well, ended up giving them Buckingham Palaces postcode every time, hope the Queen enjoyed the regular leaflets.

I did refuse point blank to give Brantano one when I was buying a new pair of wellies in time of flood.

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Many many accidents are caused by numpties who for some illogical reason think talking to the missus about tonites dinner

The thing that worries me is people sitting in traffic, blithely texting away or Faceaching or whatever. I can see them from my bedroom window every rush hour. I've even noticed it on the motorway.

• Sad 1

OK, here's something I've been wondering ever since we moved aboard last summer: what if you live aboard all year round and don't have a home address? For now we're still just paying our licence fee as we always did, using our old address (a house we no longer own or live in). But if/when we want/need to update things, is it even possible to buy a licence to watch TV at no address in particular - just on a boat wherever we happen to be? The usual liveaboard workaround of using a relative's address presumably wouldn't be appropriate, as someone other than the boat owner would already have a licence for that address.

13 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The thing that worries me is people sitting in traffic, blithely texting away or Faceaching or whatever. I can see them from my bedroom window every rush hour. I've even noticed it on the motorway.

If the car is stationary, is this not legal? Or does the engine have to be switched off? Many modern engines cut out when the car stops moving anyway.

As I recall, the tv license doesn't necessarily cover everyone living at a single address, only family and/or partner. In a house-share where the residents are unrelated, each occupant needs a separate license. I pay my license at a friend's address where I lived for a while before I got moved onto the boat. Don't know if this is technically ok but I reassure myself that I'm not evading the license fee. 

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

If the car is stationary, is this not legal? Or does the engine have to be switched off? Many modern engines cut out when the car stops moving anyway.

Needs to be parked, handbrake on and engine off.

You can be done for stopping in a layby and making a call if you leave the engine running or handbrake off.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I have wondered why a Sat Nav needs to have a picture. If it says "in one hundred yards, turn left into Blonk Street" you don't need a picture to show you what a left-hand turn looks like.

Yep and 40 is the new black (or something).

P.S. Notice I was too kind to mention that you had spelled three wrong.

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I was very bah humbug about sat navs, until my job required navigation to specific pole mounted sub stations on the overhead power network, a sat nav loaded with the locations made life so much easier.

Since then I am a sat nav covert,  driving around unfamiliar city's I think they make for safer driving,  not least lane selection on the bigger roundabouts that seem to have been designed by a blind 12 yr old

Edited by Athy

On 28/02/2019 at 13:58, Jennifer McM said:

It would be much easier for all if the BBC went down the advertising, product placement, path.

The antiquated funding system has hardly kept up with progress. 

No, no, no, no. We never watch anything live on commercial channels. We always record it so we can skip the ads.

34 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

lane selection on the bigger roundabouts that seem to have been designed by a blind 12 yr old

The problem around here is that the road signs and the lane markings often disagree with each other -- and you can't see the lane markings if there's a bloody great 4x4 on them  (or a farty little Fiat, for that matter). Road markings are pretty well illegible if it's raining and dark, too.

Edited by Machpoint005

59 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Yep and 40 is the new black (or something).

P.S. Notice I was too kind to mention that you had spelled three wrong.

...and so have you.:D

Now corrected, thank you.

Edited by Athy

8 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

What about the speedometer or fear view and wing mirrors  

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

As far as I am concerned, the sat nav is just another gauge, showing speed , distance and direction. I don't have to look at it, but it gets the same scan as the rest of the gauges, like speedo, temp gauge, tacho, etc. More distracting if it wasn't in view, and I had to listen to it!

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The thng that worries me is people doing the same at 60mph in lane 1, or, worse, in lane 2.