TV licence

dor

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Completely agree. It should pay its way as every other station has to. All this cows droppings re the unique way we are funded blah blah just doesnt cut it with me.

For all the Beebs faults I'm glad it's here, I've spent a year or so in Canada and NZ and truly the TV was terrible, for radio 4 alone it's worth it

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I have a TV license at home. My boat TV works off a battery so I  don't need an extra license.

The method of power is not relevant, if you have a licence at home it covers you in a boat, period.  When it says powered by batteries I believe it says internal batteries anyway.

7 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I don't like using the pause button as I don't think it's fair on other people watching the program next door.

:)

I used to watch Sky courtesy of "upstairs", very annoying when they changed channels.

Edited by LadyG

We permanently live in France, and are tax and fiscally resident here, consequently we don't have a UK address but we do have a widebeam in the UK for our own holiday use.

When making recent enquiries with the TV licensing people I was advised that I would need a license, however as we do not have a UK address etc etc, the solution they proposed would be for me to have a monthly direct debit for the license, but cancel it when we're not on the boat.  Thereby only actually having it for the times when we're there.

Just in case this is of any use to any other expat boaters.. 

13 hours ago, tree monkey said:

For all the Beebs faults I'm glad it's here, I've spent a year or so in Canada and NZ and truly the TV was terrible, for radio 4 alone it's worth it

Ah, a few nice adds would enhance it, mayne CART could promote well being on there?

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Nooooo!

Besides the good quality of many of its programmes, what sets the B.B.C. apart from the lesser stations is the refreshing lack of interminable bloomin' adverts. Long may it continue!

^^^^^^^  This squared!

18 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Use the advertising time to make a cuppa,

You have a cuppa every 15 - 20 minutes?

50 minutes ago, Athy said:

For civil servants, that's a commendably sensible and enlightened approach.

I had an amazingly sensible response from a civil servant a couple of years ago. My mum had passed away and I needed to drive her car from Crawley to Nuneaton to get a bit of work done to it prior to selling it. I couldn’t drive it on my insurance as I would need the owner’s permission. I couldn’t take out insurance in my own name as I wasn’t the registered keeper, and I didn’t want to add another registered keeper to the V5 by putting it in my name for just a couple of weeks. The chap at DVLA said he’d give me 6 weeks grace to have it in my name by issuing a temporary V5 just until I’d sold it. So when it was sold it still only had two registered owners. 

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You have a cuppa every 15 - 20 minutes?

? Nahhh sorry you took me literally? I do block out inane adverts though. :) 

Wouldn't it be great if some adverts would aim at a higher age range than for 12 year olds.

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Completely agree. It should pay its way as every other station has to. All this cows droppings re the unique way we are funded blah blah just doesnt cut it with me.

Do not underestimate the effect that the existence of the BBC has on commercial channels regarding the amount of advertising. In some parts of the world, with no restraint, it can be hard to spot the program content in smalls gaps between the ads. If we had a free-for-all and laissez-faire approach here then I hate to think what it would become like. Maybe I'd just stick to books and internet browsing!

All this has got me wondering.  I hardly watch tele these days (maybe an hour a week at most) and from here the BBC iplayer is blocked - presumably because of the licence restrictions and being overseas etc etc.  However I do read news apps and increasingly these have embedded videos which sometimes include BBC content.  Sometimes these videos are subject the region restrictions - i.e. blocked but sometimes the content is shown (sport generally blocked)  Does that mean you would have to have a licence to read news apps as well I wonder as the content has been live on TV at some point?

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I had an amazingly sensible response from a civil servant a couple of years ago. My mum had passed away and I needed to drive her car from Crawley to Nuneaton to get a bit of work done to it prior to selling it. I couldn’t drive it on my insurance as I would need the owner’s permission. I couldn’t take out insurance in my own name as I wasn’t the registered keeper, and I didn’t want to add another registered keeper to the V5 by putting it in my name for just a couple of weeks. The chap at DVLA said he’d give me 6 weeks grace to have it in my name by issuing a temporary V5 just until I’d sold it. So when it was sold it still only had two registered owners. 

Nice to hear 'common sense' stories, we hear so many stories where 'red tape' gets in the way.

Your story reminds me of the time I drove a car out of the Port of Tilbury, and drove the car via the M25 to Watford without a set of number plates. Luckily the insurance company insured the car on its VIN#. Before I left the port I phoned the traffic police, the policeman on the phone said I was allowed to drive the car home or to a licence office without plates, and he gave me his police number in case a traffic cop stopped me. I didn't get stopped, also I drove the car (legally) out of the Port without being stopped and questioned :( 

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Your story reminds me of the time I drove a car out of the Port of Tilbury, and drove the car via the M25 to Watford without a set of number plates. Luckily the insurance company insured the car on its VIN#. Before I left the port I phoned the traffic police, the policeman on the phone said I was allowed to drive the car home or to a licence office without plates, and he gave me his police number in case a traffic cop stopped me. I didn't get stopped, also I drove the car (legally) out of the Port without being stopped and questioned :( 

We bought a car once and drove it around for nearly three months before we realised that the number plate on the front didn’t match the one on the back - a couple of letters were transposed. We looked at the V5 to see which one was correct... they were both wrong!

I think the garage owner moved his dyslexic employee onto a job other than making number plates. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alimart said:

We permanently live in France, and are tax and fiscally resident here, consequently we don't have a UK address but we do have a widebeam in the UK for our own holiday use.

When making recent enquiries with the TV licensing people I was advised that I would need a license, however as we do not have a UK address etc etc, the solution they proposed would be for me to have a monthly direct debit for the license, but cancel it when we're not on the boat.  Thereby only actually having it for the times when we're there.

Just in case this is of any use to any other expat boaters.. 

I'd be interested to know what address you'd be buying the licence on the direct debit for? I had a circular discussion with a woman from TV Licensing/Capita where I asked her if I could register the licence to a PO box (postal address), the answer was no, you need a shore address to register the licence to. I said I haven't got a shore address (not strictly true, although it is occupied by others) so where else could I register it to, she said it had to be a shore address. I asked if I needed a licence on the boat, answer was yes, but they'd only sell one to me if I gave them a shore address, I my final thought was 'Oh, b*gger it then'. I'm currently 'using' the licence bought by the people living at my shore address, if Capita don't like it, tough.

The idea that the BBC should go down the advertising route is fundamentally flawed in that such advertising is falling in popularity with companies now that they can get a far better target hit with internet advertising through Facebook, Google, etc. As most people who support it already seem to state, they don't bother to watch the adverts and use them to make a cuppa, go to the loo etc, do they think that Advertising companies don't realise this? The fall in advertising revenue is what is also killing most local newspapers.As far as the BBC goes it simply reflects a basic British characteristic in that they want something without having to pay for it. Given the variety of ways people watch TV these days (Tablet,phone,laptop,cable,etc.) my view is that you should be able to buy a time limited access code to watch, either 1 day/1 week/1 month or 1 year so that when logging onto I-Player you input the code and watch until the code expires. I do agree that the current licence is outdated and reflects viewing habits from the last century, not from this century.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'd be interested to know what address you'd be buying the licence on the direct debit for? I had a circular discussion with a woman from TV Licensing/Capita where I asked her if I could register the licence to a PO box (postal address), the answer was no, you need a shore address to register the licence to. I said I haven't got a shore address (not strictly true, although it is occupied by others) so where else could I register it to, she said it had to be a shore address. I asked if I needed a licence on the boat, answer was yes, but they'd only sell one to me if I gave them a shore address, I my final thought was 'Oh, b*gger it then'. I'm currently 'using' the licence bought by the people living at my shore address, if Capita don't like it, tough.

I love it when over inflated bureaucracy can't cope with our lifestyle choice. Sod 'em.

34 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I love it when over inflated bureaucracy can't cope with our lifestyle choice. Sod 'em.

Not so much bureaucracy, rather a case of the rules not being able to cover every possible situation. Perhaps they needed more people to make sure the legislation was properly draughted, not fewer of them? 

40 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

A few years ago I went to currys in Oxford to buy a new telly. Picked one up and took it to the checkout to pay. Postcode please says the lady. I dont have one says I. Everyone has a postcode says lady and its illegal to sell you a telly without you giving your post code ( this silly law has now gone ) I live on a boat, boats dont have postcodes says I. Sorry I cant sell you the tv then. Now I could have got out of this ridiculous burearocratic nonsense easily by using anyone of a number of postcodes at my disposal but simply said ok and left the tv and walked towards the door. Gone a few steps and I hear, Excuse me sir can I help.........some bloke in a suit,  so I tells him the tale which he obviously had witnessed and he says please come to this till......he puts sale through and gives me the telly I had left on the side and I said how did you do it,  to which he replied he had simply put the stores postcode in as any postcode is accepted by the pooter. He will I suppose have been the store manager so it was a sale added to his target and common sense prevailing over red tape crap.