TV licence

dor

Featured Posts

I've just been reading an article by Jack Schofield reegarding TV licencing:   https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2019/feb/21/how-can-i-avoid-paying-a-tv-licence-fee

It highlights a number of recent changes in the requirements for holding a TV licence.

Now like most non-liveaboard boaters, I have a TV licence for home, which I assumed covered use on a boat (or caravan).  I wonder what the situation is now, especially as the requirement now covers smartphones and tablets that are used for streaming live TV or BBC iPlayer, that may be used by someone who doesn't live at the boat owner's home.

And presumably liveaboards need to have a licence, even if they only use a smartphone or tablet.

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It would be much easier for all if the BBC went down the advertising, product placement, path.

Nooooo!

Besides the good quality of many of its programmes, what sets the B.B.C. apart from the lesser stations is the refreshing lack of interminable bloomin' adverts. Long may it continue!

Has anything actually changed, it still has the clause the a boat is covered by the licence at your main home

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you unless anyone is watching or recording live TV on any channel or watching or downloading BBC programmes on iPlayer at the same time at your main licensed address. In this case you will need to complete this form.

24 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It would be much easier for all if the BBC went down the advertising, product placement, path.

The antiquated funding system has hardly kept up with progress. 

Given that the government tell the BBC what they can charge for a licence, and the total number of licences in the UK is known, why don't we just stop all this nonsense and have the government give the BBC a block grant annually.

The savings in issuing licences, enforcement and non compliance could be shared between the BBC and the government and both would be better off.

George

2 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Given that the government tell the BBC what they can charge for a licence, and the total number of licences in the UK is known, why don't we just stop all this nonsense and have the government give the BBC a block grant annually.

The savings in issuing licences, enforcement and non compliance could be shared between the BBC and the government and both would be better off.

George

Yeah, but those nice people at Capita would be out of pocket :giggles:

46 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

The antiquated funding system has hardly kept up with progress. 

Completely agree. It should pay its way as every other station has to. All this cows droppings re the unique way we are funded blah blah just doesnt cut it with me.

• Unimpressed 1
  • Angry 1

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Nooooo!

Besides the good quality of many of its programmes, what sets the B.B.C. apart from the lesser stations is the refreshing lack of interminable bloomin' adverts. Long may it continue!

It's always a shock, when watching BBC World in another country, when the adverts come on.

Whatever the new finding model might be, it definitely should not include addy breaks. The licence fee is worth it for Radio 3 and Radio 4 alone (OK, and Radio 2 at weekends).

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's always a shock, when watching BBC World in another country, when the adverts come on.

Whatever the new finding model might be, it definitely should not include addy breaks. The licence fee is worth it for Radio 3 and Radio 4 alone (OK, and Radio 2 at weekends).

You no longer need a tv licence to listen to the radio so that doesnt hold water. Its a con and jobs for the boys money. Anyway without the adverts when watching a film when do you get to have a pee?

56 minutes ago, Athy said:

Nooooo!

Use the advertising time to make a cuppa, or in our case, ask questions like, "What did she mean?", "Who's Jim?", "Now what film is she in?", "My money's on the gardener doing him in!"....

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Completely agree. It should pay its way as every other station has to. All this cows droppings re the unique way we are funded blah blah just doesnt cut it with me.

The commercial ones only pay their way because you pay every time you go shopping regardless of whether you watch TV or not. even the grand kids pay toward it when they spend their pocket money

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You no longer need a tv licence to listen to the radio so that doesnt hold water. Its a con and jobs for the boys money. Anyway without the adverts when watching a film when do you get to have a pee?

Pause button ?

I was fine with No Licence declaration up till recently, but have had emails and now a letter. I think I watched something via a link, I just assumed a  "warning" would appear. Oh yes, and I thought I was watching youtube but it turned out to be something on BBC, so that is at least two contraventions. I did watch a few News type clips, but I thought they were different, neither live nor iPlayer.

Presumably they monitor my broadband, I don't have a TV.

So I should buy a licence, then cancel in a few months?

I tried to explain, but there is no "excuse" box on their website.

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Nooooo!

If, you watch a game 'of two halves' on a commercial channel it is uninterupted, the ads are at half time or before and after. Why can't all TV companies do this all the time. If we know there's going to be an hours viewings worth of adverts coming on we can get on with summat else.

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If, you watch a game 'of two halves' on a commercial channel it is uninterupted, the ads are at half time or before and after. Why can't all TV companies do this all the time. If we know there's going to be an hours viewings worth of adverts coming on we can get on with summat else.

Thats why. The advertiser pay to have you watch them, not go for a pee

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You no longer need a tv licence to listen to the radio so that doesnt hold water.

Even though you don't need a licence, the service still has to be paid for -- out of the TV licence fee. So my point remains -- I'm happy to pay it, and as a bonus, no addies if I do watch the Beeb.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I was fine with No Licence declaration up till recently, but have had emails and now a letter. I think I watched something via a link, I just assumed a  "warning" would appear. Oh yes, and I thought I was watching youtube but it turned out to be something on BBC, so that is at least two contraventions. I did watch a few News type clips, but I thought they were different, neither live nor iPlayer.

Presumably they monitor my broadband, I don't have a TV.

So I should buy a licence, then cancel in a few months?

I tried to explain, but there is no "excuse" box on their website.

TV licensing do have a very good line of bullying and intimidation even if you have declared you dont have a TV, after a while they will come back an harass you again.

Ask them if they know what Noah said to the animals as they left the ark, tell them to do likewise. ;)

Edited by Loddon

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have a TV license at home. My boat TV works off a battery so I  don't need an extra license.

Correct - and you can use mains electricity if you want:

TV licensing FAQ linky

5 hours ago, dor said:

Now like most non-liveaboard boaters, I have a TV licence for home, which I assumed covered use on a boat (or caravan).

It still does.