Why?

Big Bob W

Featured Posts

Sad but it’s ever more present around the system. My boat neighbour got a full single mattress around her prop on the Shroppie last week.  If it is scrap and we have to presume so it may be worth someone’s time collecting it and weighing it in at a local scrap yard. I got 2 quid for a pair of disks of the wife’s car ( I did replace them and I’m not that skint, I was weighing in three batteries and a load of copper ) 

2 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

The one that really gets me though is the dog walkers and the poo bags hanging from the branches

Last year speaking with another boater, she said she hangs them up on branches because the bags are biodegradable ????

Errr I'm not sure that's how these bags work. Obviously, there's a misunderstanding by a lot of people. 

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Last year speaking with another boater, she said she hangs them up on branches because the bags are biodegradable ????

Errr I'm not sure that's how these bags work. Obviously, there's a misunderstanding by a lot of people. 

Thank goodness she's wrong though. Otherwise imagine, you'd be happily walking under a branch when the bag biodegrades and showers you in old poo.

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

The modern ones are biodegradable, but the poo left on the floor is going to degrade quicker then it does when put in a bag. I pick our dogs doings up in a bag and take back to the boat. I do wish that boaters didn't always get the blame for this as often people living nearby often just let their dogs out along the towpath and have no intention of picking it up

15 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It's quite difficult to get biodegradable ones, I tried, for some non dog reason, but I've just sent off two complaints to "The Council". I walk on the road most of the time, the pavements are trip hazards, plus dog shit and general litter. There is no provision for  pavement sweeping as far as I can determine.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's quite difficult to get biodegradable ones, I tried, for some non dog reason, but I've just sent off two complaints to "The Council". I walk on the road most of the time, the pavements are trip hazards, plus dog shit and general litter. There is no provision for  pavement sweeping as far as I can determine.

Well the nappy sacks which are cheaper then dog poo ones are biodegradable.

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Got to admit I do get confused with biodegradable and degradable ones, there's a big difference though....

Degradable bags are commonly mistaken for biodegradable bags. But unlike biodegradable bags, they do not break down into water, carbon dioxide and biomass. A degradable bag is still a petroleum-based plastic bag that break down into smaller pieces.

Edited by Jennifer McM

A dozen bashes with a hammer would have smashed that cast iron stove into easily handlerable bits, small enough to gradually, at night post the them through folks letter boxes to get rid of it. I removed a knackered cast iron Rayburn from someones kitchen by this method a while ago in 10 minutes.  I just flung a blanket over it to contain the sooty dust and beat it with the ball of a large engineers hammer.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Most supermarkets sell them. We are currently using Tesco ones.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Most supermarkets sell them. We are currently using Tesco ones.

Not in Toytown, it's only Tesco Express. I did try, I can't recall what I needed them for now, that's a worry, It was the time of the Big Decluttering

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Recover the bags in preparation for the snow we're going to be getting soon. Make very quick 'sledge' down any hill.

Thank goodness you’re talking about used coal bags not dog poo bags. 

Edited by MHS
  • Haha 2