Repairing a pitted hull. (photo)

NB Esk

Featured Posts

A while back someone posted asking about welding pits in boat hulls, as I was doing this yesterday, I took a couple of pics.  Not noticed any photos of this before, should show the process to anyone who's never seen it.

The pits in these images are under the "vee" of a Springer.  Hope they are of interest.

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

• Greenie 1

Crikey, that is some job you've got there, hope the entire boat is not like that bit. I wonder what the other side of that plate is like. For those who don't know what pitting or underwater  corrosion looks like that is a frighteningly good illustration, I guess that has taken some years to get like that and the fact that you are not overplating the lot must mean that its still worth the effort.

The problem that I had, when we viewed a boat that we were very interested in and was found to be pitted, was that the surveyor only found pits in some of the areas that he had cleared for his hull thickness detector. If there were pits there what else was hiding under the remaining bitumin. The boatyard said that pits were not a problem providing they weren't too deep but I envisaged all the blacking having to be taken off and the hull taken back to bare steel to see these pits etc etc etc. In my mind this would have been an extensive job and very expensive. Needless to say we walked away from that one.

18 minutes ago, Bee said:

Crikey, that is some job you've got there, hope the entire boat is not like that bit. I wonder what the other side of that plate is like. For those who don't know what pitting or underwater  corrosion looks like that is a frighteningly good illustration, I guess that has taken some years to get like that and the fact that you are not overplating the lot must mean that its still worth the effort.

? Luckily for me it's a Water Bug, so not too much hull to worry about.  Taken under two hours to do one "side" but may have to go round again when it's prepared for blacking.

Of course, pits miraculously appear close to welding, due to the heat melting old blacking out of previously unseen pits.

The boat in question will be given an extra few years of life and the repairs will make more financial sense than plating.

• Greenie 1