Reconditioned engines?

RichM

Featured Posts

Sooner or later I may wish to replace our Barrus Shire 30 hp engine, preferably with a Beta 35 or similar. The quotations I've received previously were near that of the price of a new reasonably priced small car, which seems crazy. I'm wondering if it's worth considering a reconditioned one instead? If so, does anyone recommend anywhere I can source one from?

Cheers

RichM

Richard of Primrose Engineering aka RLWP on here?  That assumes that recon parts for your existing engine are actually available and affordable ( which may not be the case. )

IF the bits can be had, any like for like replacement should be quicker and more economical than a change of engine type, because the existing beds, pipes, wires and controls should all fit the new lump unaltered.

There is a Kelvin K2 on ebay I think......

N

Well if your present engine is OK I would stick with that. Is it based on a Yanmar? If you think that a few more HP would be nice then its a lot more work and expense for a different engine and a bit more shove. Thing is that its the propeller that moves the boat so you might have to get a bit more pitch on the prop for a bit more speed, then that might not work too well so you might need a bit more dia. and a bit less pitch. then you might find that the boat needs to be a bit longer 'cos the thing is already going as fast as it can. See where this is going? If your engine is in need of an overhaul I would start by looking at plant engineering places.