Washing machine not pumping out

Jo Green

Featured Posts

We have plumbed a standard washing machine (Zanussi Lindo300) into our Dutch barge which is moored in a marina with 240v shorepower.  

We have installed a skin fitting outlet which the washing machine is plumbed into via a couple of metres of hose (additional to the approx 2 metres of standard washing machine waste hose which comes attached). The skin fitting is approx 1 meter above the top of the washing machine.

We only installed last week and don’t seem to be able to get it to work. At the end of the cycle there is still a substantial amount of water in the machine.

Any thoughts or advice? 

Thank you 

2 minutes ago, Jo Green said:

Any thoughts or advice? 

Firstly, the pump probably doesn’t have the power to lift the water an extra metre. It’s designed to discharge at about 700mm from the base after lifting it a maximum of 900mm. Secondly, a couple of metres of pipe probably carries a fair bit of water to drain back. 

Thanks. I’ve installed a non return valve where the washing machine hose meets the skin fitting hose. Therefore given the washing machine hose necessarily loops up via the top corner of the washing machine it’s unlikely that it’s being filled back up by water running back down the hose. 

Regarding the pump not being strong enough, this seems most likely but with the waterline being considerably higher than the top of the washing machine I’m not sure what I can do. Any thoughts?

thanks

9 minutes ago, Jo Green said:

I’m not sure what I can do. Any thoughts?

Mount /install the washing machine higher up ?

Our basin and sinks are below the water line but we have a grey-water tank, all discharges (showers, basins and sinks go into it) then you can pump it out from the tank.

Alternative may be to install an additional pump in the line to have the power to lift the water the additional distance.

What type of NRV have you fitted?  Some have quite a strong spring in them which will significantly increase the requirements of the pump.  Washing machine pumps are quite small centrifugal pumps, and as mentioned above, are only designed to lift the water to a little bit above the top of the machine.

42 minutes ago, Jo Green said:

I’ve installed a non return valve where the washing machine hose meets the skin fitting hose.

That could make it even worse. Now the pump has to overcome an NRV in addition to an extra 1000mm head. 

Oh, Dor beat me to it. 

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our basin and sinks are below the water line but we have a grey-water tank, all discharges (showers, basins and sinks go into it) then you can pump it out from the tank.

I was wondering about that. A gulper, maybe triggered from the w/m pump