Constant cruising

Jon Cartwright

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, cuthound said:

Why go to the expense of digging a marina and filling it with water? 

If it is purely for residential use it would be better tarmac'd over, to reduce the boaters maintenance costs and the council's building costs..

Come to think of it, why put boats on it, caravans or even modified shipping containers are cheaper and have more room. ?

Councils across the country already do this, the first time I remember seeing one of these sites about 15 years ago but I also remember folk living in buses in Sussex as far back as 30 years ago, I'm not sure is that site was council run though. 

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jun/29/gypsy-sites-england-local-authority

This shelter link gives a good idea of what the camps consist of.

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/finding_a_place_to_live/gypsiestravellers/council_sites_for_gypsiestravellers

In the 1920's plenty of people made homes out of old railway coaches.  Seems that at Dungeness, the coaches came by rail and were then dragged over the gravel as far as they could.  That was where your house stayed.  Very nice, some of them - one was a Royal coach.

Photo of Queen Victoria's carriage.

Victoria.JPG

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

In the 1920's plenty of people made homes out of old railway coaches.  Seems that at Dungeness, the coaches came by rail and were then dragged over the gravel as far as they could.  That was where your house stayed.  Very nice, some of them - one was a Royal coach.

I know a few folk who still do. There have been a number of folk who have moved to the highlands for the purpose of "falling off the grid" They build houses out of some really strange stuff and old railway carriages are, or at least were very easily got hold of. Loads of them were just plonked in fields to make shelters for either livestock or the people working the hill. 

Edited by Tumshie

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I know a few folk who still do. There have been a number of folk who have moved to the highlands for the purpose of "falling off the grid" They build houses out of some really strange stuff and old railway carriages are, or at least were very easily got hold of. Loads of them were just plonked in fields to make shelters for either livestock or the people working the hill. 

Old Glasgow tramcars used to be used for the same purpose. I was brought up on  a farm and we had a tram car which was used as a hen house. 

haggis

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Old Glasgow tramcars used to be used for the same purpose. I was brought up on  a farm and we had a tram car which was used as a hen house. 

haggis

Were the ones on the upper deck allowed to smoke ?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

And a few trams now in preservation have been rescued from life as a hen house.

http://hptramway.co.uk/index.php/stockport-5/

Edited by David Mack

On 25/06/2019 at 08:57, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can you cite some boaters here who have said it is fine, please? I doubt you can because as far as I can tell, most boaters feel this is a mistake by CRT. 

On 25/06/2019 at 09:01, Jerra said:

If you search the forum, (sorry I have never managed to get to grips with the forum search function) you will find a number of posters who have more or less praised CRT for not asking for display of licences, boat names and just wanting the number. 

Rarely has anyone complained or said it is a bad move, in fact I can't remember anyone other than myself saying so/raising it.

Could have been me?

I said that I don't bother printing out the Licence Disc. Seems pointless, the checkers warden people on the towpath have their handheld gadget. If I go through a particular lock or something that needs one I have the PDF saved on me phone. I'm not one for arbitrary rules personally and i do like to save a bit of paper and ink where I can.

Boat names is kinda the same I guess. I suppose all that's necessary is the index number ain't it. Everything is in a database. Obviously the naming and painting of boats is a nice tradition and one I think the waterways benefit from, though not sure it needs to be required by law. 

None of this has out to do with CCing though. Sorry :offtopic:

34 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Boat names is kinda the same I guess. I suppose all that's necessary is the index number ain't it.

On the Thames every powered boat has to display its unique name on the bows and on the stern.  That's how we get 'Polly', 'Polly1', 'Polly2', and so on.

Narrowboats with the name writ large on the cabin side are acceptable.

55 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Could have been me?

I said that I don't bother printing out the Licence Disc. Seems pointless, the checkers warden people on the towpath have their handheld gadget. If I go through a particular lock or something that needs one I have the PDF saved on me phone. I'm not one for arbitrary rules personally and i do like to save a bit of paper and ink where I can.

Boat names is kinda the same I guess. I suppose all that's necessary is the index number ain't it. Everything is in a database. Obviously the naming and painting of boats is a nice tradition and one I think the waterways benefit from, though not sure it needs to be required by law. 

None of this has out to do with CCing though. Sorry :offtopic:

I suspect that a victim of a hit and run by another unnamed boat would have had a better chance of reading and remembering a name than a registration number, should he wish to claim for any damage.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

I suspect that a victim of a hit and run by another unnamed boat would have had a better chance of reading and remembering a name than a registration number, should he wish to claim for any damage.

Victim? Hit and run?

My English teacher Mr Williams would have a fit about this, and go on about 'debasement of the language'.....

4 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

On the Thames every powered boat has to display its unique name on the bows and on the stern.  That's how we get 'Polly', 'Polly1', 'Polly2', and so on.

Narrowboats with the name writ large on the cabin side are acceptable.

Quite a few powered boats on the Thames that don’t have names on them.

42 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

Quite a few powered boats on the Thames that don’t have names on them.

Someone not doing their job then - patrol boats (are there any left). Lockies (a few left).

No name, no licence, no income.

13 hours ago, cuthound said:

I can see the scene in court.

Prosecuting barrister...... M' Lud, the boat Crap Diem rammed my clients boat at 5 mph.

Defending barrister .........M' Lud it wasn't my clients boat. There are 10,000 Crap Diems registered with the CRT. 

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I can see the scene in court.

Prosecuting barrister...... M' Lud, the boat Crap Diem rammed my clients boat at 5 mph.

Defending barrister .........M' Lud it wasn't my clients boat. There are 10,000 Crap Diems registered with the CRT. 

But adding a description and colour scheme must narrow it down a bit surely?.. ?

• Happy 1