Constant cruising

Jon Cartwright

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

60 miles each way (Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire)

1.25 miles per gallon at 22knts

£1.36 per gallon (30p per litre)

Cost £130.50 

Would have been cheaper to take the ferry !!!

We sailed to Dun Laoghaire once. It was on our trip from Dunstaffange to the Algarve on our lumpy water boat. I think it took around 3 weeks to get there (Dublin that is, it took 5 months to get to Lagos) and cost well in excess of £300 in fluids. Too many 'lock ins' in the Irish pubs. The Guiness was great but expensive.

Edited by Dr Bob

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

We sailed to Dun Laoghaire once. It was on our trip from Dunstaffange to the Algarve on our lumpy water boat. I think it took around 3 weeks to get there (Dublin that is, it took 5 months to get to Lagos) and cost well in excess of £300 in fluids. Too many 'lock ins' in the Irish pubs. The Guiness was great but expensive.

Never got the taste for the 'black-stuff'.

The recipe for which was stolen from the Welsh by Arthur Guinness in the 1750's

Locals from Llanfairfechan, near Bangor, claim to have identified the site of a tavern from where they claim Arthur Guinness stole the recipe for his famous stout in the 1750s. The Guinness company was this weekend unable to discount the theory.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/mar/12/jonathancook.theobserver

We would take the train from Dun Laoghaire to Dublin.

It always 'tickled me' that in England a 'family train ticket was for 2 adults and 2 children, but in Ireland it is for 2 adults and 4 children.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I couldn't either 'til my forties. It took a bit of work and a fair few pints of Beamish, which is a wee bit sweeter and served as "training Guinness", but I consider the effort worthwhile and commend it to you.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The recipe for which was stolen from the Welsh by Arthur Guinness in the 1750's

Locals from Llanfairfechan, near Bangor, claim to have identified the site of a tavern from where they claim Arthur Guinness stole the recipe for his famous stout in the 1750s. The Guinness company was this weekend unable to discount the theory.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/mar/12/jonathancook.theobserver

We would take the train from Dun Laoghaire to Dublin.

It always 'tickled me' that in England a 'family train ticket was for 2 adults and 2 children, but in Ireland it is for 2 adults and 4 children.

I too never liked the Guinness, in fact absolutely hated it, until we got to Ireland on that trip. We started at Rathlin Island and spent 6 weeks sailing down the east side, cause the weather was too bad to even think about the west side. After the first pint I was hooked. Dunno if they do it different there. My son ran a bar out in China and reckoned they used nitrogen instead of CO2 or vica versa......plus the wait of 5 mins till they top it up. Taught me to think ahead. 

Never drunk it since except at the Excel boat show.

On 28/02/2019 at 09:34, Chris Williams said:

Fuel consumption depends on all sorts of variables - Depth/width of water, load, wind, speed, etc.

Jaguar used considerably less fuel at higher speed on the Thames than on the canals.  Can't give exact figures, but the tank held around 70 gallons and that would last a couple of months.  I won't tell you what it cost in those days!  Worst was being fully loaded on a badly silted canal - just keep her moving, never mind speed.

I remember not buying it on the kennet because it was 18p a litre when it was 60 a gallon on the canal. 

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I too never liked the Guinness, in fact absolutely hated it, until we got to Ireland on that trip. We started at Rathlin Island and spent 6 weeks sailing down the east side, cause the weather was too bad to even think about the west side. After the first pint I was hooked. Dunno if they do it different there. My son ran a bar out in China and reckoned they used nitrogen instead of CO2 or vica versa......plus the wait of 5 mins till they top it up. Taught me to think ahead. 

Never drunk it since except at the Excel boat show.

My old dad, now in a pub in the sky, when he ran a pub many many moons ago, the sixties, had a fancy refurb of the cellar. This meant the cellar was chilled which in turn chilled the beers and ales and lagers etc. However, if you served Guinness chilled it wouldn't create a head. So, there was an unrefridgerated room in the cellar where the Guinness barrels were kept. Nowadays you get chilled and super chilled Guinness. They have changed the recipe for sure. 

Edit to ask, what happens to a Draught Guinness if served chambré?

Edited by Nightwatch

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My old dad, now in a pub in the sky, when he ran a pub many many moons ago, the sixties, had a fancy refurb of the cellar. This meant the cellar was chilled which in turn chilled the beers and ales and lagers etc. However, if you served Guinness chilled it wouldn't create a head. So, there was an unrefridgerated room in the cellar where the Guinness barrels were kept. Nowadays you get chilled and super chilled Guinness. They have changed the recipe for sure. 

Edit to ask, what happens to a Draught Guinness if served chambré?

When we had the 'bar' Guinness was the only company that would regularly turn up and check how we were 'keeping' the beer and check the serving temperatures.

If it wasn't served at 5*C you would be 'on a warning' and if on the next inspection it wasn't 'right' you would not be allowed to buy it in the future.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we had the 'bar' Guinness was the only company that would regularly turn up and check how we were 'keeping' the beer and check the serving temperatures.

If it wasn't served at 5*C you would be 'on a warning' and if on the next inspection it wasn't 'right' you would not be allowed to buy it in the future.

If only they did that now. Liam drinks Guinness and has had many dodgy pints over the years.

Disappointingly his last dodgy pint was in the Pyewipe on Saturday. Although they did have a problem with their chillers and were waiting for an engineer to come and sort it out.

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If only they did that now. Liam drinks Guinness and has had many dodgy pints over the years.

Disappointingly his last dodgy pint was in the Pyewipe on Saturday. Although they did have a problem with their chillers and were waiting for an engineer to come and sort it out.

We had limited Guinness drinkers and ended up throwing more away than we sold so we changed over to 'surger' cans which even hardened Guinness drinkers said was a 'nice pint' and when used on the commercial ultra sound machine the head was as good as any Dublin pulled pint.

It was easy & convenient to keep in the 'drinks fridges' at 5*C, freeing up more space in the cellar.

Apparently the 'domestic' surger unit sold in supermarkets was a bit of a failure.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 hours ago, Murflynn said:

err .......  there is a slight difference between someone who has a boat on a mooring, and takes it for a trip, short or long, when the weather suits and the fancy takes them, and someone who is forced to make a journey regularly whatever the conditions just to comply evade which likely soon becomes a drudge if you have no real interest in boating.

That's assuming the OP (and cc'ers in general) have no real interest in boating? Personally I can't see the point in living on a boat and not moving, but I love boating- in all weather- and to me the big appeal of cc'ing is being able to live in a new place every 2 weeks with a different view/commute/neighbours etc. But thats just my view

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

That's assuming the OP (and cc'ers in general) have no real interest in boating? Personally I can't see the point in living on a boat and not moving, but I love boating- in all weather- and to me the big appeal of cc'ing is being able to live in a new place every 2 weeks with a different view/commute/neighbours etc. But thats just my view

It's a shared one amongst many CCing boaters.  It's also why we get more cross at CMers who don't want to boat than most of the marina dwellers do, as we all end up getting tarred with the same brush.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's a shared one amongst many CCing boaters.  It's also why we get more cross at CMers who don't want to boat than most of the marina dwellers do, as we all end up getting tarred with the same brush.

Exactly...Although I don't have a problem with those moving only short distances either. I have been travelling shorter on each move this winter than previously and really seeing much more of places I had just rushed through!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Who needs to see, CRT are now installing those new wooden edging to bounce off, like a sorta 3D pinball 

My kind of boating, using the infrastructure to your advantage

• Greenie 1

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:12, RLWP said:

Definitely! Don't go boating without them

Please...

Richard

:D

I was arguing with some overhanging branches, when one whipped my specs off.  When I had finished cursing, I looked round, and there they were, neatly perched on the tipcat.  Guardian Angel or what?

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

I was arguing with some overhanging branches, when one whipped my specs off.  When I had finished cursing, I looked round, and there they were, neatly perched on the tipcat.  Guardian Angel or what?

Spec savers! :D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/02/2019 at 10:02, matty40s said:

Absolute horseshite, I managed to do it for 5 years, both in the Midlands and also based in London. I then became self employed and CC-'d(for 4 years), only this year having to take a mooring due to various family issues. My London range was Leighton Buzzard to Hertford/Bishop Stortford and my Midlands range was Fradley/Leicester Ring/GU down to Dayton and up to Stockton.

Sometimes challenging, always rewarding.

Well said that man!

Although we have a home mooring as a back up and a place for some winter downtime, we spend 8-10 months of the year constant cruising and working a full time job.  We are happy to commute up to an hour which gives us a large cruising area and no shortage of places to stay all well within the spirit of constant cruising. I work nights so we aren’t limited to moving at the weekend.

we love the lifestyle and as mentioned above it’s always rewarding.

• Greenie 3

On 28/02/2019 at 12:40, system 4-50 said:

The primary "law" is that everbody should behave in a sensible way, observing the needs of others.  The primary enforcement of that law is the conscience of each of us and peer pressure. The legal law is secondary and is there to advise what is sensible behaviour.  The police and judiciary are there to encourage adherence to the primary law with the guidance of the legal law, but they cannot hope to enforce that behaviour without the support of the conscience of each of us and peer pressure.  The entire system depends on  most of us behaving sensibly without coercion. (Otherwise you would need a police state.)  Thus the "spirit of the law" does exist and is fundamental.

The legal law is couched in English which is very imprecise in what is meant for any particular set of words, and is additionally built by a poor quality system whose principle good feature is that it is allegedly democratic rather than precise.  The legislation relating to canals appears to be particularly imprecise and incomplete, so the question is, do we observe the legal law which is very imperfect or the spirit of the law which is not defined?  The traditional British way is to observe the imperfect legal way until the exploitation of the loopholes has caused major and inevitable  problems which can't be corrected because of the massive investment in the mess. Those of us with an immediate survival problem will be happy with this but those of us free to consider the long term will not as it means that we are no more capable of managing our affairs sensibly than stone-age societies.

Well said that person.

5 hours ago, sirweste said:

I've had the same job and a no home mooring (so been CCing) for 3.5 years now. So I'm an example of how I haven't messed it up for the "rest" of you, how permanent fixed location employment and CCing are not exclusive and how you won't fall foul of regulation. 

The "spirit of the licence" is a load of nonsense and is, in general, people's way of imposing their opinion, of how the canals should be used, onto others.

I don't have a massive annual range, I also don't just hop around one village (as in Matty's example). I explore, visit favorite places (more than once or twice), move to new locations based on festivals / christmas parties / events etc.

If CRT are happy, then that's what matters. Simple. 

I personally have no interest, other than the conveniences, in living in a marina i.e. floating caravan park. While I had zero interest in the canals when I bought my boat 4 years ago I now love them and cherish the ability to live in a new place every month or two. While CCing is a bit tougher than regular living at times it's well worth it, all you folks permanently moored are missing out in my opinion.

Some of the shite that folk sprout on here would make you / a newbie think that canals are a different place to what they are.

Credit to @doratheexplorer's contribution to this thread, standing up to the extremists, sticking up for common sense.

In my book Sirweste you are boating as I would interpret the spirit of the licence, but you are not a load of nonsense. Long may you continue to be an example to others as a perfect CCer.

15 hours ago, Cloudinspector said:

Well said that man!

Although we have a home mooring as a back up and a place for some winter downtime, we spend 8-10 months of the year constant cruising and working a full time job.  We are happy to commute up to an hour which gives us a large cruising area and no shortage of places to stay all well within the spirit of constant cruising. I work nights so we aren’t limited to moving at the weekend.

we love the lifestyle and as mentioned above it’s always rewarding.

What is ironic is the person who moves the minimum distance every 2 weeks is contributing to the waterways considerably more than those in marinas who don't pay a license, apart from the exceptional excursion on the canals. Yet it is those in marinas who seem to complain the most about CCers who are also holding down a job.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Mikexx said:

What is ironic is the person who moves the minimum distance every 2 weeks is contributing to the waterways considerably more than those in marinas who don't pay a license, apart from the exceptional excursion on the canals. Yet it is those in marinas who seem to complain the most about CCers who are also holding down a job.

Why do you think that those in marinas do not pay for a licence ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why do you think that those in marinas do not pay for a licence ?

Some do, and some don't. Some of the older ones, and their moorers, make no contribution to CaRT.

Why do you think otherwise?

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Mikexx said:

I would add to this that cc'ing boats contribute in other ways to the canals; by being out all year they keep the canals used (looling at boats are the main reason non-boaters visit canals), can keep an eye out for maintenece issues/leaks etc, contribute to waterside buisnesses all year round...the list probably goes on (probably cause less wear and tear now I'm not in a rush to complete ambitious cruising rings in a weeks holiday too!)

• Greenie 1