Constant cruising

Jon Cartwright

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

most canal boaters don't really know very much about boats or the waterways at all, especially since most have never ventured off the canals.

Fine.  Too many canal boats on our rivers anyway.   They were never meant for river work.  I knew the River before I went near a canal.

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

Are they interested in classic buses or should they just buy a tent.....

Coincidentally Solihull is almost the perfect place for people interested in classic buses. There's the nearby Wythall Transport Museum!

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Fine.  Too many canal boats on our rivers anyway.   They were never meant for river work.  I knew the River before I went near a canal.

I dont know why that quoted me as I didnt print it? lol. 

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just has a discussion with a lady on FB about losing the tax rebate on red diesel, she said it wont much difference to boaters as sh only uses £45 worth a year, I told her I use that much a week

Assuming £45 is 45litres, and each litre has a calorific value of 10kWhr, you're burning 450kWhs of fuel, or continuous 2.7kW over the week.

I might suspect that would be the case if it's several degrees outside, but I wouldn't have thought this rate of usage is typical?

10 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Assuming £45 is 45litres, and each litre has a calorific value of 10kWhr, you're burning 450kWhs of fuel, or continuous 2.7kW over the week.

I might suspect that would be the case if it's several degrees outside, but I wouldn't have thought this rate of usage is typical?

A typical NB will use 1.5/2.0 litres per hour at 3 mph.

So her £45 (45 litres) will be 25 (ish) hours or 75 miles per annum.

I use 10 litres per hour at 6mph.

3 hours ago, Mikexx said:

If she is in a marina with shore power and a stove, then her useage could be zero, so 45Lts is appropriate.

If she is a CC er then £45  is circa 40-60hrs motoring = 4 hrs/month ish= 2hrs every 14 days = 2-6 miles each time. Is that enough?

That all assumes she hasnt got an ebersparky thingy.

I too use significantly more than that on our NB and get quite surprised when having to fork out for £100+ to fill the tank.

Edited by Dr Bob

On 26/02/2019 at 04:46, Boater Sam said:

What it will cost you to keep chasing your boat with public transport and your car would pay for a mooring.

Having a permanent work location and CCing is not in the spirit of your licence to be on the canals. You will fall foul of the regulations at some point and it will serve you right for being such a .......................................

There is no such thing as " the spirit of a licence". 

Fuel consumption depends on all sorts of variables - Depth/width of water, load, wind, speed, etc.

Jaguar used considerably less fuel at higher speed on the Thames than on the canals.  Can't give exact figures, but the tank held around 70 gallons and that would last a couple of months.  I won't tell you what it cost in those days!  Worst was being fully loaded on a badly silted canal - just keep her moving, never mind speed.

Seems that for many, the spirit of a licence or the spirit of being a boater is everyone doing exactly the same thing as them.  If someone wants to cc around Solihull and they meet the minimum requirements set by CRT, then what harm are they doing?  And why would anyone else care? 

TBH I'm sick of hearing this nonsense from other boaters saying stuff like you have to be convering the whole canal network, and "I use £45 of diesel a week/day/hour".  It's always men, and it looks a lot like willy waving.  Why would people be competitive about how far they move, or how much diesel they burn?

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Seems that for many, the spirit of a licence or the spirit of being a boater is everyone doing exactly the same thing as them.  If someone wants to cc around Solihull and they meet the minimum requirements set by CRT, then what harm are they doing?  And why would anyone else care? 

TBH I'm sick of hearing this nonsense from other boaters saying stuff like you have to be convering the whole canal network, and "I use £45 of diesel a week/day/hour".  It's always men, and it looks a lot like willy waving.  Why would people be competitive about how far they move, or how much diesel they burn?

They are doing no harm, if they stick to the guidelines and the terms and conditions of their licence.

The trouble is that there are a growing number who don't and see CCing (or in some cases just camping in the same spot for months on end) as a cheap way to do what they want, when they want. It is those that will eventually become a problem to everyone.

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They are doing no harm, if they stick to the guidelines and the terms and conditions of their licence.

The trouble is that there are a growing number who don't and see CCing (or in some cases just camping in the same spot for months on end) as a cheap way to do what they want, when they want. It is those that will eventually become a problem to everyone.

I get that, but some people seem to think they should be moving far more than the guidelines say.  Those lot at the IWA included.