Constant cruising

Jon Cartwright

Featured Posts

The Warwickshire ring would work well, if you want to avoid the centre of Birmingham the you could miss that section out, and turn round.  Also going down toward Stratford would extend the range, but I would say mooring near to road bridges are not as easy there as on the GU/Oxford/Coventry

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jon Cartwright said:

Can anyone suggest a route with 14day moorings and facilities,that would keep CRT happy for 12months.Working full time in Solihull and new to canal system?

You can come up with a number of combinations but the one thing that will almost certainly make you change it will be planned winter stoppages and unplanned emergency repair work. One of the nice things about boating is to get to know the system by sorting out where you can explore and moor. I think it takes half the fun out of it if someone does it for you.

Howard

If you want a fixed place of work and the pleasure of CC'ing then Birmingham is about the best place to be doing it.

I advise the OP to significantly exceed the minimal movement that CRT sort of allude to and all will be well.

..............Dave

What it will cost you to keep chasing your boat with public transport and your car would pay for a mooring.

Having a permanent work location and CCing is not in the spirit of your licence to be on the canals. You will fall foul of the regulations at some point and it will serve you right for being such a .......................................

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I suggest you ignore the negative posts and concentrate on the positive ones. There's no rule, written or otherwise, that prevents people who are working from cruising without a home mooring. 

Not yet.....................

It just seems such a daft idea, I may be wrong, but what is the point of buying a boat and ccing if the intent is to save a few quid on mooring fees, it does not make sense. It makes sense if you really want to liveaboard but can't afford to give up work, that's entirely different in my eyes. If you don't really "like" boats, I can't imagine the hassle is worthwhile as your depreciating capital asset gradually swallows your disposable income, and breaks down in inconvenient places with expensive and possibly alarming consequences. You have to re-arrange your life around your boat, which then becomes the unwelcome epicentre of your life.

Edited by LadyG

52 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not yet.....................

It just seems such a daft idea, I may be wrong, but what is the point of buying a boat and ccing if the intent is to save a few quid on mooring fees, it does not make sense. It makes sense if you really want to liveaboard but can't afford to give up work, that's entirely different in my eyes. If you don't really "like" boats, I can't imagine the hassle is worthwhile as your depreciating capital asset gradually swallows your disposable income, and breaks down in inconvenient places with expensive and possibly alarming consequences. You have to re-arrange your life around your boat, which then becomes the unwelcome epicentre of your life.

Some fair points there, but isn't it for the individual to make his or her choice regarding this?  

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I suggest you ignore the negative posts and concentrate on the positive ones. There's no rule, written or otherwise, that prevents people who are working from cruising without a home mooring. 

Surely the "negative" posts are needed along with the positive posts to allow the OP to come to a fact based decision?

That way he is less likely to have an unexpected shock. 

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Some fair points there, but isn't it for the individual to make his or her choice regarding this?  

I'm not expecting anyone to make major lifestyle choices based on random posters on a public forum, just sayin' this is a major lifestyle choice.

Edited by LadyG

38 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Jon is new to the canals. He says that in his OP.

His post seems to me to be asking 'what he can get away with?'. That is not a good starting point and he needs to hear that that is the view of many on here. He can then use that 'negative' information to make his informed choice.

• Greenie 2

I know people who work and CC and cover a lot more distance than people who dont work, stop in one place for 2 weeks and then move 3 miles. Hed would leave his boat and go to work in the car, return and leave the car say 2 miles up the canal, walk back to the boat and move up to the car. If it rained he didn't do it. He would easily do 14 miles in 14 days and be in no danger of getting a ticket. It depends where you work and where you cruise and how you work it. Just think of all the south Oxford and the GU  to Hatton. 

• Greenie 2

These days there aren't many permanent jobs. So being able to lug your home round the country as you go from one contract to another may well be not only handy for finding work but also manageable as a CC - even in some ways a modern interpretation of the old liveaboard working boats. Having a local temporary mooring might be simpler - even a non-residential one would change the moving rules as long as you nipped back to it overnight every few weeks. 

There's a difference, I think, between coexisting creatively with the rules and deliberately breaking the spirit of them. 

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely the "negative" posts are needed along with the positive posts to allow the OP to come to a fact based decision?

That way he is less likely to have an unexpected shock. 

Quite agree as long as they are constructive criticism. In the thread so far we have not heard anything about the OP's expectations in the longer term - is this a life style change or a brief interval in his life which may change in a year or two. Has he addressed the mundane but very real problems of power generation, toilet waste disposal, any health issues which may need access to a doctor, winter weather etc. ? 

It is so easy to be seduced with the current pleasant weather but not so enjoyable on a dark winter evening with a cold boat, no water and flat batteries.

Howard

• Greenie 1