Kings Norton Junction Toll House fire

Rob-M

Featured Posts

I heard over the weekend whilst at Icknield Port that the Toll House at Kings Norton junction was set on fire on Friday and Saturday nights.

Report in the Birmingham Mail here, https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-twenty-firefighters-tackle-15874928.

As a listed building CRT may have a hefty restoration bill.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I heard over the weekend whilst at Icknield Port that the Toll House at Kings Norton junction was set on fire on Friday and Saturday nights.

Report in the Birmingham Mail here, https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-twenty-firefighters-tackle-15874928.

Isn't that what insurance is for ?

2 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Do CRT carry that kind of insurance, many organisations do not as the premiums do notmake it economic

I would have thought that if they don't they could be accused of negligence.

I was running a business operating in several countries with a bigger turnover and more staff that CART and we certainly had full insurance.

If the 'worst' happened and you couldn't cover the costs of rebuilding and replacement you'd be going 'bust'.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I know it sounds awful,but I've been expecting this to happen.Such a cracking building,but being left empty made it fair game for the local scrotes.

By the way Rob,the strange man named Paul who made himself known to you on Saturday is my husband !

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would have thought that if they don't they could be accused of negligence.

I was running a business operating in several countries with a bigger turnover and more staff that CART and we certainly had full insurance.

If the 'worst' happened and you couldn't cover the costs of rebuilding and replacement you'd be going 'bust'.

If organisations/businesses are large enough they might choose to carry a massive excess, effectively only insuring events large enough to effect the stability of their entity. Even insurance companies pursue this method by paying out of their own funds for the vast majority of their claims but buying reinsurance policies for catostrophic events such as major earthquakes. I know when I worked for a major oil company they basically carried their own insurance, but for motor vehicle claims were handled on their behalf by a commercial insurer on a cost plus basis. 

So sad to see anywhere  historical structures being damaged or destroyed though.

Insurance is really just "spreading out the risk" with the insurance companies taking a cut, so if you have a lot of properties you just budget for one or two having a disaster every year and save the insurance companies profit. Put another way, Insurance only really works for the bad things that are very unlikely to happen, and if you have enough properties (or anything else) then these bad things are no longer unlikely.

We've got a lurcher and there was yet another accident today, they occur quite often, so the premiums and excess are high, with hindsight it would probably have better for us to "self insure" :)

,.................Dave

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't that what insurance is for ?

12 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Sadly many organisations in this country self indemnify.

I don't know for certain, but I'd be surprised if CRT didn't self-insure for such circumstances.

As has been said, a large organisation will generally spend less overall doing this, than letting insurance companies make money out of it.

13 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Sadly many organisations in this country self indemnify.

As I discovered when the local "Fine Art Auctioneers" had a "break in", £250,000 of goodies removed from "the safe" the saleroom had no insurance, and I lost a £1000 ring, no notification. No Fears, No Tears.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

HMG and the Royal Household have no property insurance

M&S used to carry their own liability, they were pretty darn careful to prevent loss by fire. Not sure if they still operate this policy.

Civil Service property[ies] are exempt from many Acts of Parliament. I seem to remember driving a car with  "Special Disks" where ordinary mortals had "Tax Disks"

Edited by LadyG

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

When you consider Birmingham is setup for the fire brigade to use the canals as a water source 

Little red doors in bridges.

Open door, lower suction hose into water, suck, squirt.  Job done.

Bod