In praise of CRT

haggis

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, haggis said:

As there are often threads berating CRT for not doing things boaters think they should be doing I thought I would redress the balance. We used to boat on the Trent and Mersey a lot, particularly the North bit and I was impressed with the off side tree cutting they did which greatly improved the boaters line of sight and reduced the close encounters with overhanging trees. We have been on the shroppie for the last week and what a difference in woodseaves cutting! They are not quite finished yet but the difference is amazing. You no longer boat through there thinking that  one of the overhanging trees which cut a lot of light would come down on top of you. Well done CRT! 

Haggis 

Yes, they are like the NHS. Do a good job with ever diminishing funds.

17 minutes ago, haggis said:

As there are often threads berating CRT for not doing things boaters think they should be doing I thought I would redress the balance. We used to boat on the Trent and Mersey a lot, particularly the North bit and I was impressed with the off side tree cutting they did which greatly improved the boaters line of sight and reduced the close encounters with overhanging trees. We have been on the shroppie for the last week and what a difference in woodseaves cutting! They are not quite finished yet but the difference is amazing. You no longer boat through there thinking that  one of the overhanging trees which cut a lot of light would come down on top of you. Well done CRT! 

Haggis 

Also they have done the run into nantwich, a big difference

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, but that will be OK at the end of next month when we get our £375million a week back off the foreigners.....

Is there much chance of any of that money going into the inland waterways budget?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is there much chance of any of that money going into the inland waterways budget?

Theres more chance of " Seeing Jesus " than us ever getting it back in the first place!! Far too heavy a snowfall in the UK for it to ever happen.

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, but that will be OK at the end of next month when we get our £375million a week back off the foreigners.....

:P Johny Foreigner, if you dont mind!!

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

No its going to the NHS, it said so on the side of a bus.

And if anyone believes that, they may be interested in this six million quid I need help with to get it out of a Nigerian bank...

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

They've done a huge amount of off side cutting from Leamington to Braunston. It's no fun anymore. The bush in front of the first bridge after Napton junction has been cut down ? , going east, It's not a blind bend anymore!!!!

You can't thank me for that one!  I raised it with CRT on Twitter, they looked at it the same day and it was cut back inside a week.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Yes I know they don't always get it right but to listen to some folk it sounds as if they always gets it wrong. 

Haggis 

Agreed.

There is however no pleasing some folk and they would never be happy whoever was in charge.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 25/02/2019 at 18:13, Rob-M said:

Friends of ours volunteer on the team that have been clearing between Great Haywood and Fradley, they are cutting back quite hard at the moment hoping it will last two years before needing to be done again.

It's made a tremendous difference. They'd done from Fradley and reached just before the Rugeley aqueduct when I passed through there last week. It's good that there are folk around freely willing to do this volunteering or it probably wouldn't get done. 

On 25/02/2019 at 17:46, haggis said:

Haggis 

I was talking to a C&RT chap who was busy clearing all the trimmings from the entrance to the top lock at Tyrley(also last week) He told me that it was virtually all done by Vollies with a single C&RT employee supervising. They must have cleared literally hundreds of trees/shrubs.Well done to them ?

20190222_090455.jpg

On 26/02/2019 at 12:55, Naughty Cal said:

Agreed.

There is however no pleasing some folk and they would never be happy whoever was in charge.

Credit where credit is due and well earned. Blind sychophancy does no one any favours though. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Name and shame, please ?

Just create a thread on the definition of Main Navigable Channel and whether a fake licence or genuine pleasure boat certificate is needed outside it. You might also mention the Vat implications.

That will fetch them out. 

Edited by Jim Riley