Try before you buy.

Traveling

Featured Posts

Hi all I am just wondering if there is such a place I could look at trying before I buy, I don't want to be spending loads of money and then find that it really isn't for me, also I would like to know if it would be possible to try without having to pay out thousands.

Many thanks Richard 

P.S 

really hope that I have put this in the right place and sorry if its not 

5 minutes ago, Traveling said:

Hi all I am just wondering if there is such a place I could look at trying before I buy, I don't want to be spending loads of money and then find that it really isn't for me, also I would like to know if it would be possible to try without having to pay out thousands.

Many thanks Richard 

P.S 

Its not popular for obvious reasons. A free holiday?? Do you try before you buy when purchasing a house?? If not sure just hire a boat and get some idea.

Many hire operators hire out day boats, about £100 per day plus possibly a returnable deposit.

One example: http://www.valleycruises.co.uk/dayhire

http://www.valleycruises.co.uk/

The Crick Boat Show also does boat handling taster sessions.

https://www.crickboatshow.com/whatson/boathandling/

Edited by Ray T

You could try a boat handling course, there are lots of companies across the country that run one or two day courses that will teach you how to handle a boat. The best way to know if you will like spending any time on a boat would be to hire one though.

32 minutes ago, Nick D said:

You could always try buying a share in a boat first which would give you four or more weeks a year.

I agree that it would be a way of seeing what boating is all about, but I think that hiring initially is a better way. Most share boat syndictes would rather not have part owners joining and then leaving after a short time, and would much prefer them to be enthusiastic about and enjoy their boat for a reasonable period. Hiring is very much what the OP was looking for - the option of being able to walk away if they find it is not for them.

Howard

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I believe Braidbar used to hire out a trial boat, the cost of which was refunded against your new boat if you went on to buy.  Reading between the lines, I'm guessing we're not looking in the same sector of the market here though, are we?  

That’s quite right, but Braidbar doesn’t have a hire boat the moment. Since they retired Tiree and sold her, they haven’t had a spare build slot to replace her.

Most boatbuilders have a set of demonstrators that they have spent 500k on for others to thrash up and down on. Just phone and ask.

Or .......... hire and walk the waterways asking. Most are happy to talk botes and walk you through.

Edited by mark99

On 25/02/2019 at 17:21, Traveling said:

Many thanks Richard 

P.S 

Go and visit Whilton , they will give you lots of sets of keys, just find the right boat and take it out for a few weeks............drop the other keys on the wharf as you leave or they might notice though.....

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Go and visit Whilton , they will give you lots of sets of keys, just find the right boat and take it out for a few weeks............drop the other keys on the wharf as you leave or they might notice though.....

This assumes yoyu can actually get the engine on a boat Whilton are selling to start!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This assumes yoyu can actually get the engine on a boat Whilton are selling to start!

I looked at one boat (potentially a beautiful boat) at Whilton - called 'Kiwi-Bach'

It was vastly, vastly, hugely overpriced and needed probably £20k spending on it, on trying to start the engine the 'mechanic' told me the boat engine and the generator had not been started for 5 years that he knew of, and it was owned by a 'single bloke' who used it as a 'crash pad' during the week. (Kiwi Bach apparently is 'Kiwi' for a holiday home)

I made, what I thought was, a realistic offer, and it was suggested that I should remove myself from the premises whilst having sex.

I'm some what confused If you have not done much or any boating what is the pro /cons you seek & how will you know the best possible  what suits you is a real pain in reverse as as been said hire a boat but then it will be only one example of  what is out there

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Bought mine from Wilton, made a much reduced offer, was treated courteously and the engine started OK. I knew it needed a timing chain but it ran fine for 3 months till I had time to change it. Still got that boat.

Yes I concur. My bro in law a few years ago asked me to go and look at a boat at Whilton and I told him the tales of boats on sale there but neverthe less went to look as it had just gone on the market there. It was absolutely first class in every way. He bought it and had it a few years and looked after it and sold it again to get a bigger one and it sold very very quickly. It transpired the boat had gone to Whilton as the owner had died suddenly and his wife ( understandably ) didnt want to set foot on it again and it was taken immediately to Whilton. Moral of the story as I repeat on a regular basis is you can absolutely never rule out any particular broker as you might rule out a great boat.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I concur. My bro in law a few years ago asked me to go and look at a boat at Whilton and I told him the tales of boats on sale there but neverthe less went to look as it had just gone on the market there. It was absolutely first class in every way. He bought it and had it a few years and looked after it and sold it again to get a bigger one and it sold very very quickly. It transpired the boat had gone to Whilton as the owner had died suddenly and his wife ( understandably ) didnt want to set foot on it again and it was taken immediately to Whilton. Moral of the story as I repeat on a regular basis is you can absolutely never rule out any particular broker as you might rule out a great boat.

I totally agree. Having heard all the tales about Whilton Boats, I was somewhat surprised when a good friend rang to say he was seriously considering a brokerage boat from them. How wrong can you be! He bought the boat about 6 or 7 years ago and it is one of the nicest boats you could wish for and apart from routine repairs and modifications I understand that it has served him very well. It just reinforces that sometimes despite the broker, look at the boat, and make your own judgement if you are able, or get an independent view from someone who can give you unbiased advice. You may just find the boat of your dreams!

Howard

• Greenie 1

Whilton provided me with a great service. I stopped in to look at some other boats on the way home from viewing the one I eventually bought and was rapidly convinced how good value the one I was looking at was.

• Happy 1

42 minutes ago, MikeBiggers said:

Hi. Yes, you can try boat without spending loads of money. U can rent boat for an hour. But I recommend, when you find right yacht take charter to somewhere. That will be a real test and after that you can make a final decision. I sometimes use this site spam.com for looking charters. I hope I have helped you a little)

? I'm thinking spammer misunderstood the question