Advertisement Permission, split from ; Signwriting

blackrose

Featured Posts

On 20/02/2019 at 12:18, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum.

Members, please note that Sarah DOES have official permission to post this.

Can I ask what criteria are used to decide who can advertise their services freely on the forum and who can't? Do advertisers just have to seek permission first and the content/services advertised are deemed to be appropriate for example? I just wondered as we've often seen unapproved advertisements removed and I'm not sure who can and who can't advertise.

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Can I ask what criteria are used to decide who can advertise their services freely on the forum and who can't? Do advertisers just have to seek permission first and the content/services advertised are deemed to be appropriate for example? I just wondered as we've often seen unapproved advertisements removed and I'm not sure who can and who can't advertise.

If I 'owned' a forum, I would want some fun to go offset the aggravation, I imagine Dan just tosses a coin to decide if permission to advertise is given or not.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Certainly you may ask, and the man who can tell you is Dhutch who has the final say. I think you have at least partial;ly answered your own question in your second sentence, where you mention "unapproved".

1 minute ago, frahkn said:

If I 'owned' a forum, I would want some fun to go offset the aggravation, I imagine Dan just tosses a coin to decide if permission to advertise is given or not.

Your imagination is most vivid.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Certainly you may ask, and the man who can tell you is Dhutch who has the final say. I think you have at least partial;ly answered your own question in your second sentence, where you mention "unapproved".

Your imagination is most vivid.

The image of a bloke tossing a coin is not particularly vivid. Did you choose the word "vivid" by tossing a coin perhaps?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I can confirm I messaged DHutch directly and asked permission and he said that he thought the members may be interested in my services so allowed me to post ? 

31 minutes ago, frahkn said:

If that's true then I guess I got lucky ??

1 minute ago, Signwriter0405 said:

I can confirm I messaged DHutch directly and asked permission and he said that he thought the members may be interested in my services so allowed me to post ? 

If that's true then I guess I got lucky ??

Buy a National Lottery ticket this week! (Assuming that it's still going - haven't heard much about it for several years).

On 24/02/2019 at 10:34, blackrose said:

In short, all reasonable requests to advertise canal related businesses to users is allowed, something that has been the case through the existence of CWDF.

Original topic for ref: https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/100197-signwriting/

Daniel

On 24/02/2019 at 11:13, Athy said:

Buy a National Lottery ticket this week! (Assuming that it's still going - haven't heard much about it for several years).

Well what they did was double the price of a ticket and add more numbers so the already impossible chance of winning became even more impossible if thats even possible ? Hence only people with absolutely loads of money or no bloomin sense ever buy them nowadays.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Well what they did was double the price of a ticket and add more numbers so the already impossible chance of winning became even more impossible if thats even possible ? Hence only people with absolutely loads of money or no bloomin sense ever buy them nowadays.

Ah, I see, thank you. I bought a ticket the first week that it came out and didn't win anything, so I haven't bothered since. But for several years there was a Lottery programme on telly earlyish on Saturday evenings, and they seem to have scrapped that.

Your news does not bode well for those bodies (including various canal restoration societies) which seek big Heritage Lottery grants to enable them to dig more old canals out: if far fewer tickets are sold than hitherto, there will be far less cash to award to such schemes too.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah, I see, thank you. I bought a ticket the first week that it came out and didn't win anything, so I haven't bothered since. But for several years there was a Lottery programme on telly earlyish on Saturday evenings, and they seem to have scrapped that.

Your news does not bode well for those bodies (including various canal restoration societies) which seek big Heritage Lottery grants to enable them to dig more old canals out: if far fewer tickets are sold than hitherto, there will be far less cash to award to such schemes too.

I havnt checked but I think they still make billions. Its astonishing what sensible people will throw their hard earned at with less than zero chance of a good return, even dafter than buying a boat. I used to buy them very occasionaly but when they put the cost up 100 percent overnight and lengthened the odds I decided some years ago now, that I  may be stupid but not THAT stupid.

Edited by mrsmelly

I decided years ago to stop doing the lottery and put what I would have spent into Premium bonds at least I get to keep my stake and I won £1100 last month. Most I've ever had was £5000 in 1978 and I only had £5 worth of bonds then.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I decided years ago to stop doing the lottery and put what I would have spent into Premium bonds at least I get to keep my stake and I won £1100 last month. Most I've ever had was £5000 in 1978 and I only had £5 worth of bonds then.

Hallelujah! I won a total of £175 from Ernie last year and I thought I was doing quite well!

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Hallelujah! I won a total of £175 from Ernie last year and I thought I was doing quite well!

My late mother was and still is* winning £50 or £75 every month.

* you can keep bonds invested for 12 months after death and the monies goes into the estate, two more draws to go ;)