River Trent assistance! (Middle of March 2019)

Featured Posts

Hey all,

I'm moving up north to Yorkshire from just outside London. Initial plan was to go up via the Macclesfield but the Marple Lock stoppage has meant I'll need to go the longer way around. I need to get up north sooner rather later to start a job.

The route I'm planning is this one:

https://canalplan.org.uk/journey/10938_cp

If anyone fancies a bit of river surfing, I'd well appreciate any assistance and am happy to discuss payment.

Cheers

Alastair

1 hour ago, graemejwalker said:

The option of course, is the Manchester Ship Canal. Depends which part of Yorkshire you're trying to get to I suppose.

All sorted, thanks! Someone has kindly offered to help out head up the Trent. I'm going to be heading to Leeds (initially).

22 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

All sorted, thanks! Someone has kindly offered to help out head up the Trent. I'm going to be heading to Leeds (initially).

You'll be travelling up north DOWN the Trent. Your expert helper will make sure you get it right.?

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jim Riley said:

You'll be travelling up north DOWN the Trent. Your expert helper will make sure you get it right.?

Yeah, I always get that mixed up! It both makes sense and doesn't from my perspective!

On 26/02/2019 at 09:43, graemejwalker said:

The option of course, is the Manchester Ship Canal. Depends which part of Yorkshire you're trying to get to I suppose.

There are easier ways to by-pass Marple Locks than going via the ship canal.  From down south, you could go: GU, North Oxford, T&M, Bridgwater, then into Manchester and choose between the HNC and the Rochdale.  In fact, I'd think this might be marginally quicker than going via the Macclesfield.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

There are easier ways to by-pass Marple Locks than going via the ship canal.  From down south, you could go: GU, North Oxford, T&M, Bridgwater, then into Manchester and choose between the HNC and the Rochdale.  In fact, I'd think this might be marginally quicker than going via the Macclesfield.

But then you miss out on the beautiful Trent.

18 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

But then you miss out on the beautiful Trent.

My comment was partly in response to this:  "Initial plan was to go up via the Macclesfield but the Marple Lock stoppage has meant I'll need to go the longer way around."  I was just pointing out the neither the Trent nor the Ship Canal were necessary alternatives.

After having traveled up and down the tidal trent quite a few times without any serious  issues  I would still say the journey requires careful planning. If done correctly with respect to the tides it can be made to seem easy.

On the tidal river I still have the chart open and the chief officer reminds me which feature is coming up next.

https://kildalemarine.co.uk/products/the-boating-association-trent-chart-no-2-tidal

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

After having traveled up and down the tidal trent quite a few times without any serious  issues  I would still say the journey requires careful planning. If done correctly with respect to the tides it can be made to seem easy.

On the tidal river I still have the chart open and the chief officer reminds me which feature is coming up next.

https://kildalemarine.co.uk/products/the-boating-association-trent-chart-no-2-tidal

We gave up on the charts many years ago. 

They are perhaps useful if you don't know the river at all but for those who do there is really very little need for them.

The main large hazards are very well sign posted, the bridge spans to use are all marked with the relevant lights and the rest is common sense, i.e sticking to the outside of bends.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We gave up on the charts many years ago. 

They are perhaps useful if you don't know the river at all but for those who do there is really very little need for them.

The chart is essential for people who don't know the river. 

I'm going to grab a copy of the chart. While I'll have someone with me who knows the river, I think it might be a useful thing to have in the future should I want to do it myself. But I think going with a pilot to start with will be a good learning experience.

What the chart doesn’t tell you, of course is the tide times.

Consider the tide times on the dates you intend to travel and bear in mind some of the biggest tides of the year will be on springs in March. The tide times will dictate when you will travel. Your pilot will know all this.