Warwick Westbound and Hatton FLight

Dragon Pilot

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The ANT do actually call it a license: https://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/index.php?id=10

STLfees6.png

Richard

That is a separate thing to paying for mooring in Stratford, which for the last couple of years you are supposed to do.   It used to be if you had a licence it was free to moor in Stratford but not any more.  My experience at least is they do not make you pay for a licence as well as the mooring permit, so for a £5 mooring permit (a different piece of paper to a licence) you can moor at Stratford on the river with no river licence, i.e. you don't need to buy the £5 river licence as well.  Same thing at Tewkesbury you can moor by paying the mooring fee to the lock keeper with no ANT licence.  It is possible there is some interpretation in this and a different person at Stratford may want you to buy a licence and a mooring permit for at total of £10, but that was not my experience last year.

Does one buy the mooring permit before venturing out onto the river? How is one assured that mooring is available? How far up/down the river is one permitted to travel with just a mooring permit in hand searching for suitable mooring? In our case we wouldn't want to go very far due to time constraints, but I could see how someone might want to stretch the limits a bit. If any tolerance is allowed, it will always be exceeded (my military flight instructor used to say when he insisted I land precisely on the runway centerline).

6 hours ago, Dragon Pilot said:

Does one buy the mooring permit before venturing out onto the river? How is one assured that mooring is available? How far up/down the river is one permitted to travel with just a mooring permit in hand searching for suitable mooring? In our case we wouldn't want to go very far due to time constraints, but I could see how someone might want to stretch the limits a bit. If any tolerance is allowed, it will always be exceeded (my military flight instructor used to say when he insisted I land precisely on the runway centerline).

There is a waterways information boat moored in the canal basin in Stratford by the lock onto the river, you can’t miss it.  You pay there normally before going onto the river, but there would be nothing to stop you going onto the river and mooring and then walking back to pay. 

You are right that you don’t know there is actually any space to moor at the point before you go on the river, although you can see quite a bit of the moorings from you the lock.  There is a huge amount of mooring all along the park on the opposite side of the river to where the canal joins.  You can moor as far as Colin P Wittier lock, and I would be very surprised if there really was no space at all, there are usually few boats further down past where the ferry goes accross, but I guess it is possible it is full.  In the end it is only £5 and as long as there is space in the canal basin you will have had the experience of a quick trip on the river if you had to come back, but I doubt the would be needed.

The original question has been fairly thoroughly answered by others, i.e. it's probably best to get up the two locks, moor about 5pm on the first spot you can find after the locks, maybe eat in the Cape, and do the Hatton flight in the morning. I'll just add that as you're planning to do it in June, sunset will be after 9pm so you could contemplate getting up the whole flight before dark, but for two elderly people that could turn into a bit of a slog. Much better to have an early night then get up and go as early as you like in the morning; dawn should be about 5am! You might be able to share locks with another boat, but if not you can just take your time and not feel under any pressure. Also at that time of year it can be good to get a big flight of locks done before the hottest part of the day.

Just one more thing before we finish this thread for the moment - June 2020 is still a long way off ( most of us are probably just planning for June 2019!), but nearer the time of your holiday you might want to post on here again with the dates you are going up and down Hatton. Depending on work commitments, some of us locals might be able to come and help you if that would be useful. 

2 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Just one more thing before we finish this thread for the moment - June 2020 is still a long way off ( most of us are probably just planning for June 2019!), but nearer the time of your holiday you might want to post on here again with the dates you are going up and down Hatton. Depending on work commitments, some of us locals might be able to come and help you if that would be useful. 

More concerned with advice on local beer not to be missed, but would never turn down help taking a turn or two on the windlass. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Peter X said:

Also at that time of year it can be good to get a big flight of locks done before the hottest part of the day.

Ooh, do you think we're gonna have another summer in the foreseeable future?  ;)

CanalPlanner recommends several canal guides for this trip, but it looks like we'd have to have more than one Pearsons or Collins Nicholsons to cover this particular trip...am I reading that right? On a previous trip from Stone up the Caldon including a side trip to the bottom of Harecastle Tunnel one guide book covered it.

The Nicholsons Guide to the Severn, Avon and Birmingham covers he Grand Union from Satisfied Junction to Birmingham, the Stratford upon Avon Canal, the BCN and the two rivers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Severn-Avon-Birmingham-Waterways-Nicholson/dp/0008258015/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1551687794&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nicholsons+canal+guides&dpPl=1&dpID=5102wXKXAgL&ref=plSrch#immersive-view_1551688318451

The Nicholsons Guide to Birmingham and The Heart of England covers all of the Warwicksire Ring, including the bit from Kate Boats to Saltisford Junction.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birmingham-Heart-England-Waterways-Nicholson/dp/000825799X/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1551687794&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nicholsons+canal+guides&dpPl=1&dpID=61-IkqR19YL&ref=plSrch

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It's always a relief to have been there, isn't it? :D

(Auto correct is a little goldmine of fun, isn't it?)

Indeed, and I checked the spelling of Saltisford Junction before I wrote the post. Buddy autocorrect! ?

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, and I checked the spelling of Saltisford Junction before I wrote the post. Buddy autocorrect! ?

I know - it's correct further on in your post so you're clearly weren't being a silly billy really.