Warwick Westbound and Hatton FLight

Dragon Pilot

Featured Posts

Also a new(ish) Stratford Parkway station close to Chaleybeate bridge. One lock down to the winding hole above Stratford top lock. I caught the train into Stratford from there a couple of years ago.

However I was carrying on to Stratford and on to the Avon the next day and I can't help but think if you chose deliberately to turn before Stratford and get the train down into town your first thoughts on walking down to the basin and park would be "I wish we'd brought the boat here".

Nonetheless it's a plan with two possible contingencies so that's good.

Stratford and back in a week is not a leasurly cruise, but I assume you know that.

if you don’t want to get up Hatton on the first day, then your stops would be something like this

1. Cape as discussed

2. Kingswood Junction, or Lowsonford if you make good time

3. Wilmcote, or you can make Stratford if you push on

4. Stratford

5. Wilmcote

6. Kingswood

7. Cape

You will probably want to vary it a bit on the way back to stop at slightly different places that you have spotted on the way there.

On 25/02/2019 at 09:13, RLWP said:

You may have to replan quickly if you turn up at Kate and find your hire boat is pointing the other way

Richard

When we hire a 58ft one from there, they told me to wind there. They have a small winding point at the end. 

The Cape is a good spot and if I remember right, there is visitor moorings opposite.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Stratford and back in a week is not a leasurly cruise, but I assume you know that.

if you don’t want to get up Hatton on the first day, then your stops would be something like this

1. Cape as discussed

2. Kingswood Junction, or Lowsonford if you make good time

3. Wilmcote, or you can make Stratford if you push on

4. Stratford

5. Wilmcote

6. Kingswood

7. Cape

You will probably want to vary it a bit on the way back to stop at slightly different places that you have spotted on the way there.

It's not leisurely in terms of the number of locks but it is in terms of time. Even splits of days on CanalPlan gives;-

1. Cape visitor moorings (Cape of Good Hope pub)

2. Rowington  (Tom o'the Wood pub)

3. Wooten Wawen (Navigation Inn)

4.Stratford - Bancroft Basin

Obviously it's the same in reverse but as you say it might be nice to mix it up. TBH I would never consider Cape to Rowington to be anything other than a half day. Very deliberately so in terms of timing visits to pubs.

JP

1 hour ago, thebfg said:

When we hire a 58ft one from there, they told me to wind there. They have a small winding point at the end. 

The Cape is a good spot and if I remember right, there is visitor moorings opposite.

In the summer the visitor moorings can fill up. It is worth sending someone ahead to check before ascending the 2 locks; you can moor below them (or even between them) if necessary - handy for the park if you want it

2 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

In the summer the visitor moorings can fill up. It is worth sending someone ahead to check before ascending the 2 locks; you can moor below them (or even between them) if necessary - handy for the park if you want it

They do, but mooring up beyond the official visitor moorings and through the bridge isn't a problem. It's also possible to moor immediately beyond Saltisford Junction (if that's what it's called) and walk into Warwick town centre. I would definitely go up the Cape locks. There will be somewhere suitable to moor and you would hardly be started otherwise. 

JP

On 26/02/2019 at 02:23, Captain Pegg said:

It's not leisurely in terms of the number of locks but it is in terms of time. Even splits of days on CanalPlan gives;-

1. Cape visitor moorings (Cape of Good Hope pub)

2. Rowington  (Tom o'the Wood pub)

3. Wooten Wawen (Navigation Inn)

4.Stratford - Bancroft Basin

Obviously it's the same in reverse but as you say it might be nice to mix it up. TBH I would never consider Cape to Rowington to be anything other than a half day. Very deliberately so in terms of timing visits to pubs.

JP

Great plan! Definitely in consideration! Thank you!

Other people have covered most points, but as a local I have a few other small items to add -

If you haven't been to Warwick before, don't miss a walk around the centre of the town. It's quite picturesque and most people enjoy it.

There are also lots of good pubs and restaurants in the centre. And a climb up St Mary's church tower is worth it for the views from the top if you have the time.

The town centre is easily walkable from either Kate Boats or the Cape, but it's a slightly shorter walk from the moorings at the Saltisford arm (if they have space).

There is always space to moor between Cape Locks and Birmingham Road.

The place to avoid mooring is below Hatton Bottom Lock as you're right next to the A46 road which can be very noisy.

After you've done Hatton Locks you can treat yourselves at the cafe right beside the top lock. It's highly recommended !

At Kingswood Junction I'd recommend you stop and have a walk to the National Trust's Baddesley Clinton house.

Thank you John Brightley! Duly noted!

And I may have missed it, but if we do an overnight near the Cape is there a spot to turn the boat around when we head back down toward the Hattons? There's no obvious winding hole near the Cape unless the wide spot just east of Cape Top Lock #25 would suffice.

3 minutes ago, Dragon Pilot said:

Thank you John Brightley! Duly noted!

And I may have missed it, but if we do an overnight near the Cape is there a spot to turn the boat around when we head back down toward the Hattons? There's no obvious winding hole near the Cape unless the wide spot just east of Cape Top Lock #25 would suffice.

If you are coming from Kate Boats then you will come to the Cape before you get to Hatton, there will be no need to turn round.

I have not read the whole thread so perhaps I have misunderstood - you can wind at Saltisford which is between the Cape and Hatton bottom lock.

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

If you are coming from Kate Boats then you will come to the Cape before you get to Hatton, there will be no need to turn round.

I have not read the whole thread so perhaps I have misunderstood - you can wind at Saltisford which is between the Cape and Hatton bottom lock.

Sorry...the plan is to depart the Kate Boats base at Saltisford Basin (not Stockton) and cruise to Stratford Upon Avon. However, since hire boat pickup isn't until after 2:30 and by the time we get our boat checked out, loaded and ready to go we'll be pushing 4 PM or later. We don't want to do the Hatton Flight into the evening, so it was suggested to cruise up to the Cape of Good Hope for dinner and spend the night then tackle the Hattons the following day. So, since we'll be heading back down toward the Hattons the next morning...is there a suitable place to turn around near the Cape? If not, maybe we'll just overnight in the basin and take in the city sights...and walking up to the Cape isn't beyond our ability...we both take daily walks anyway...but it would be nice to get in some lock practice beforehand.

3 hours ago, Dragon Pilot said:

Sorry...the plan is to depart the Kate Boats base at Saltisford Basin (not Stockton) and cruise to Stratford Upon Avon. However, since hire boat pickup isn't until after 2:30 and by the time we get our boat checked out, loaded and ready to go we'll be pushing 4 PM or later. We don't want to do the Hatton Flight into the evening, so it was suggested to cruise up to the Cape of Good Hope for dinner and spend the night then tackle the Hattons the following day. So, since we'll be heading back down toward the Hattons the next morning...is there a suitable place to turn around near the Cape? If not, maybe we'll just overnight in the basin and take in the city sights...and walking up to the Cape isn't beyond our ability...we both take daily walks anyway...but it would be nice to get in some lock practice beforehand.

I think you've got your geography mixed up with respect to the location of Kate Boats. It is to the east of Cape Locks on the south side of the canal. Therefore you just head west out of the hire base and keep going. I wonder if you are thinking it's on the arm to the west of Warwick town centre. That's Saltisford Canal Trust which is private, but welcoming. It would explain why you thought it was only 11 minutes to the bottom of Hatton locks.

JP

7 hours ago, westwd said:

I'd look for the Crabmill Inn at Preston Bagot as an option. My preference is to drop onto the River and moor opposite the RSC rather than stay in Bancroft basin. 

You will need an Avon licence if you do that.

On 26/02/2019 at 06:45, Rob-M said:

There is always the option to stop at Wilmcote and get the train in to Stratford. There is a winding hole so you can turn and the train station is alongside the canal by the bridge.  This saves some of the locks and would allow you a day in Stratford if you decide you don't want to boat to the end.

You can also get one of the frequent tour buses from Wilmcote. You can then do the Stratford tour, hopping on & off as required. The tickets prices are very reasonable for a couple of seniors. 

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

You don't, you just need to pay £5 for a mooring ticket as long as you only want access to the Stratford reach.

Well, according to the Avon Trust to moor on the Avon for 24 hours you need a short term licence  which is £5.

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think you've got your geography mixed up with respect to the location of Kate Boats. It is to the east of Cape Locks on the south side of the canal. Therefore you just head west out of the hire base and keep going. I wonder if you are thinking it's on the arm to the west of Warwick town centre. That's Saltisford Canal Trust which is private, but welcoming. It would explain why you thought it was only 11 minutes to the bottom of Hatton locks.

JP

You are SO right! I got sucked in by that big Saltisford basin on Google Earth. A little more attention to detail, Dragon Pilot!

We were down there last May (end of May) and although there was lots of room in the basin when we got there midday on a Saturday, there was no room wotever on the river. We stopped 2 nights and although the basin filled up, no spaces on the river came available.

Shame as it would have been nice to have gone out an moored there.

Really enjoyed Stratford. Nice town. Some good places to eat.

50 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Quite.  You get a ticket from the boat moored in the basin, allows you to moor in the river for £5.

And 24 hours use of the river, you really don't get it do you, it's a short term licence not a mooring permit.

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

And 24 hours use of the river, you really don't get it do you, it's a short term licence not a mooring permit.

Perhaps when you have bought one you have had a different experience, but not what I have had, it’s just a mooring permit rather than the same licence you get for a 48 hour or 7 day one.  Why does it matter so much to you anyway.

34 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Perhaps when you have bought one you have had a different experience, but not what I have had, it’s just a mooring permit rather than the same licence you get for a 48 hour or 7 day one.  Why does it matter so much to you anyway.

The ANT do actually call it a license: https://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/index.php?id=10

STLfees6.png

Richard