time for a change

haza

Featured Posts

for a few years now i have had onboard a  wood/coal fire burner , but  i would like to change .now to some other form of cleaner way of heating .i also have a alde comfort central heating which i am very happy with. any ideas would be great some thing in the £1000/1500 range maybe 

Just now, haza said:

dont know why i bother some times ..it gets worse ..but it seems only with certain peeps ...now wonder mtb left the building 

Well to be honest you are not the model of clarity yourself.

You say you want a cleaner alternative to a wood burner, then you explain that you already have alde central heating that you are happy with.

My smoke alarms are nuclear - but admittedly they don't generate much heat.

now  you are right there we are  not all blessed with  such clarity as yourself and others  ,,so you dont know of any decent oil based fires ..but you know abt clarity .oh and i was not seeking info on nuclear  smoke alarms ..so maybe you can not read ,but i wont hold that against you ok .

thanks fly navy  .theres a guy on here who as some thing in that line . and i am waiting to hear off him ,,i do have a alde compact ..which i use .along with the wood burner .but i was looking at somthing oil based ..those look pretty cool..thanks i will be looking into them 

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

If you like the Alde, just keep buying gas but bear in mind that soon it will not be available when gas burning is banned.

Maybe just confirm that from alternative sources.

The 'banning' of gas powered heating and cooking is only with reference to NEWLY BUILT houses connected to the MAIN GAS SUPPLY after 2025.

It does not relate to any 'bottled gas' LPG systems.

I have a Bubble corner stove (solid fuel) but they do an oil burner which looks the same. Haworth heating are the suppliers - Google will find their website. 

I agree (and endure) the disadvantages of the solid fuel stoves, not least related to "clean", but I think they're hard to beat, particularly when coupled with diesel central heating to provide a fast warm up and hot water.

46 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe just confirm that from alternative sources.

The 'banning' of gas powered heating and cooking is only with reference to NEWLY BUILT houses connected to the MAIN GAS SUPPLY after 2025.

It does not relate to any 'bottled gas' LPG systems.

I knew that, being Devil's advocate for a change. But can we expect the considerably reducing demand after 2025 to cause a reduction of all gas as fuel supplies?

Will matter not a jot to me.

Where is the source of our propane supplies anyway? Is it secure?  We are in a situation where there is no alternative supply of gas for boaters other than bottled gas.

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I knew that, being Devil's advocate for a change. But can we expect the considerably reducing demand after 2025 to cause a reduction of all gas as fuel supplies?

Will matter not a jot to me.

Where is the source of our propane supplies anyway? Is it secure?  We are in a situation where there is no alternative supply of gas for boaters other than bottled gas.

I would think that taking the 100's of 1000s of rural properties, the 10's of 1000s of commercial boats, the 'millions' of caravans, Forktrucks, construction equipment etc all relying on LPG that a 'few sewer-pipes' on the canals will not have a problem sourcing LPG for many years.

If we can get the NIMBY's to shut up it is estimated that we can be self-sufficient in gas by Fracking (irrespective of North Sea / Irish Sea production)

Propane is separated from crude oil during the refining process and also extracted from natural gas or oil wellhead gas at processing plants. Propane is normally transported and stored in a liquid state under moderate pressure or refrigeration for economy and ease of handling in shipping and distribution.

have you considered adding one of the diesel water heaters from webasto / ebersplutter, in theory it could be fitted in tandem with your alde heating system to heat the same radiators / calorifier while minimising the amount of changes on the boat.

unfortunately the Chinese & Russians don't seem to have copied the water heaters yet so there are no cheaper versions.

Just a thought as it leaves you with 3 viable sources of heat including one that will still work when you're frozen in, have run out of diesel & gas and have flat batteries

hi jess well that was my idea ,to run in tandam with the alde system ,,so thanks for that much apriciated ,but i think i may go down the refleks non  boiler system .is there any one on here that uses that or know of any one that could fit that system in for me, pm if so .thanks  a lot