Pubs to avoid ? (Apart from Woodenspoons) Are there any?

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, dmr said:

I remember lots of trips to the pubs around Lapworth, also the Black Boy which was a fairly basic canal side boozer in those days, and the odd trip to Ma Pardoes, so even back then a big connection with the canals. I can't remember if all of the Lapworth pubs did real ale but like many Birmingham drinkers we often drank brown and mild (a boiler?) to try to concoct something interesting.

...................Dave

I didn’t have evenings free during the week so my ‘locals’ centred around Smallbrook Queensway. The Jester was a popular choice I seem to recall. Sundays were the only chance I got to go out for a drink (if I could afford one). 

The metered electric pumps were often used for real ale, but this only works with oversized lined glasses because you knew you always got a full pint. Nowadays most pubs seem to prefer to use hand pumps with glasses that are a pint to the brim, then if there's any head at all (which I don't object to for beers designed for it) they can sell you a short pint...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I didn’t have evenings free during the week so my ‘locals’ centred around Smallbrook Queensway. The Jester was a popular choice I seem to recall. Sundays were the only chance I got to go out for a drink (if I could afford one). 

I think I remember that there were just one or two pubs that did real ale, I think one was near to Five Ways, was that Jesters?  Must confess that of the city centre pubs the only one that I frequented was Bogarts, and Newcastle Brown was what got consumed there.. A few ex regulars still meet at the Flapper but that ones now in danger of the same fate. Birmingham appears to be trying to eradicate heavy metal from its history.

...............Dave

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

On a sunny day we used to bike out of Brum to Washford Mill in the Clent hills, drink two halves of something flat and vaguely purple, have a sleep on the grass bank for an hour or two, then bike back. 

By coincidence I visited the Washford Mill a few weeks ago. It is now one the edge of Redditch New Town, and is a rather uninspiring chain steak house. The original mill water wheel is inside the bar, but is no longer working - judging by the amount of vegetation in the mill leat it doesn't look to have been in water for years.

8 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Anyone remember electric pumps?

The sort I'm thinking of were either a perspex tube or a cube with a hollow sphere inside.

Invincible Metron and Invincible Sphereon I think they were called.

They served exactly half a pint through a tight sparkler.

I first came across them in a Darley's pub in Armthorpe, can't remember it's name.

What I do remember, however, is a pint of froth served in an oversize glass (24oz?) and having to wait ages for it to settle before I could drink.

Quite an alien experience for an Essex boy (as was the whole pit village thing, but that's another story)

Gosh that takes me back to the days of  ‘measured’ pumps when I was a yoof  

Matty brown pubs seemed to favour the piston type in the north west 

3 hours ago, dmr said:

I remember lots of trips to the pubs around Lapworth, also the Black Boy which was a fairly basic canal side boozer in those days, and the odd trip to Ma Pardoes, so even back then a big connection with the canals. I can't remember if all of the Lapworth pubs did real ale but like many Birmingham drinkers we often drank brown and mild (a boiler?) to try to concoct something interesting.

...................Dave

When I was a kid we used to visit the Boot at Lapworth and "Ye Olde New Inn" at Rowington (since renamed the Tom O' the Wood). In those days when children weren't allowed in pubs, we had to sit outside in the garden at the Boot, but Ye Olde New Inn had an unlicenced 'family room' at the back where children were allowed in - all plain white walls, quarry tile floor, formica-topped tables and uncomfortable chairs.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

On a sunny day we used to bike out of Brum to Washford Mill in the Clent hills, drink two halves of something flat and vaguely purple, have a sleep on the grass bank for an hour or two, then bike back. 

Having spent a lot of my childgood on Clent I don’t recall a Washford Mill, Googling it shows that it in Redditch which is stretching the definition a bit ?

Edited by Tim Lewis

15 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Having spent a lot of my childgood on Clent I don’t recall a Washford Mill, Googling it shows that it in Redditch which is stretching the definition a bit ?

I wondered where that was too because I didn't think I'd ever heard of it.

I avoid Redditch.

JP

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Ahh well, it was a long time ago and I didn’t know the area so apologies for that :)

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

By coincidence I visited the Washford Mill a few weeks ago. It is now one the edge of Redditch New Town, and is a rather uninspiring chain steak house. The original mill water wheel is inside the bar, but is no longer working - judging by the amount of vegetation in the mill leat it doesn't look to have been in water for years.

How sad. Just shows what can happen over 40 odd years

In Scotland it is not allowed to re-use a used glass at the beer tap or optic. No matter what "the system". I  certainly would never drink beer if it was being re-cycled.. what a mad idea. I have seen a few clean glasses being used to top up a lively beer, but it's rare, and you would not be getting your drink from some stuff that was lying around,  the extra glasses are just used to allow time for your own beer to settle.

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, aracer said:

I've read through the whole thread as I was sure somebody else would have already made this point: avoid any pub with a flat roof.

Intriguing: could you enlarge upon your theory, please?

10 hours ago, aracer said:

I've read through the whole thread as I was sure somebody else would have already made this point: avoid any pub with a flat roof.

I have never realised this before, but it's true!

38 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

There might be something in that. There used to be a pub with a flat roof opposite the shroppie / middlewich arm. It was bulldozed about six years ago.

That was The Jolly Tar at Barbridge.  Even when it was being demolished, someone decided it was worth burning it out. 

The Barbridge Inn is nearby and is a decent spot to stop withmoorings outside. 

20 hours ago, Athy said:

Intriguing: could you enlarge upon your theory, please?

Many of the new pubs built in the big estates in the 60/70s  were flat roof buildings often with a couple of angry barky  dogs living up there, many were on the rough side and had "reputations", at least they did in my youth.

I remember hacking down the middlewich branch in 1985  huge wave running heading for the port, with no food on the boat.

aimed for the beacon of light that was the jolly tar. According to 1977 nicholsons ‘food’ 

got there in the dark and rushed inside.. crisps and keg..

flat roof pub went broke i went hungry.

On 09/03/2019 at 13:26, Goliath said:

To be honest: the pubs in Ashton were quite depressing, as is the town. 

Best avoided. 

Not going to wholly disagree but feel there should be some defence. Tried a few when in dry dock there a couple of years ago and they are what they are. Social centres in an economically depressed northern town, along with their characters and chicanery. I went in The Star more than the others and remember a group of OAPs on the lash from Eccles using their tram passes for a good booze up. Apparently a regular thing as they were all well known in there. Cheap beer, no hassles, couldn't argue. As for The New Crown in Newton Heath, again the same. Let's face it, none of the pubs near the Rochdale approaching Manchester or the Ashton out are going to be an idyllic tourist destination but I wouldn't be wary of having a pint in one.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

I remember hacking down the middlewich branch in 1985  huge wave running heading for the port, with no food on the boat.

aimed for the beacon of light that was the jolly tar. According to 1977 nicholsons ‘food’ 

got there in the dark and rushed inside.. crisps and keg..

flat roof pub went broke i went hungry.

The jolly tar used to be the drinking pub of choice for the agriculture students from the local college,  it was a little flexible with its age restrictions 

I’ve never classed the Swan at Fradley as one to avoid, even after the takeover, but noticed this weekend that the menu “Specials board” above the fire in the bar has been replaced by a flat screen tv. Thankfully it was off but it could be a sign of things to come. 

• Horror 1

Dmr said:

The Railway in Hebden Bridge....The urinals are made from cut in half aluminum keg, I imagine I am weeing straight into the lager supply!

From the Stroud Brewery Tap

Urinal.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis