Pubs to avoid ? (Apart from Woodenspoons) Are there any?

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

There’re lots of threads/topics/discussions on best pubs and dog friendly pubs and foody pubs bla bla best ale bla bla. 

I ‘d like to know some of the places close to the canal that you wouldn’t use, or have done a uturn from. What’s your idea of a rough pub?

Finding it hard to think at moment with the Karaoke singers. But Carling is only£2 and Monster Munch at 50p for me tea. Love it. 

44 minutes ago, Goliath said:

There’re lots of threads/topics/discussions on best pubs and dog friendly pubs and foody pubs bla bla best ale bla bla. 

I ‘d like to know some of the places close to the canal that you wouldn’t use, or have done a uturn from. What’s your idea of a rough pub?

Finding it hard to think at moment with the Karaoke singers. But Carling is only£2 and Monster Munch at 50p for me tea. Love it. 

Whats the name of that pub in Stoke on Trent that you took my wife to?   (remember when you and my wife went out drinking whilst I was sorting out the blacking ???? :))

The Horse and Jockey in Ellesmere port is the roughest pub I've been in for a long time, and has no real ale, but the Caffreys is dead cheap and the locals are sort of friendly if you don't upset them.

The Railway in Hebden Bridge is another rough one but I had a few nice pints in there last night....and the night before. I reckon just avoid the 'spoons and you'll be ok.

The lock-side pub in Newton Heath (Manchester Rochdale) looks really bad and I was too scared to try it, but if anybody will do it with me Ill give it a go.

Bland eateries, they are the real ones to avoid.

...............Dave

Like all pub chains, 'Spoons have good ones and bad.  I wouldn't avoid them because of the name.  Best one I've been in? Whittlesea - I made a point of telling the manager and he was chuffed.  Worst? Pontefract.    Most overrated canalside pub?  The Anchor at High Offley - limited opening, indifferent beer, unsmiling service and bloody folk singers.

You can't criticise the Anchor here,its a pilgrimage for many boaters. Does anybody know why and how a pub in deepest Shropshire sells Wadworths. And the "folk" singer is a canal hero. I went in once and asked him if he would like a drink....."yes please, I'll have two pints of 6X".

As owners of a dog that can't be left alone the 'spoons is a no-go for us as they have an absolute dog ban, in most of them dogs are not even allowed outside. Most sell the common "national" beers though did have a good few pints in a 'spoons in Liverpool.

................Dave

This thread is now over 24 hrs old with only 5 responses. That's almost a record for some one asking a sensible question.

Actually I think it represents the view that there are very few bad pubs. I love most pubs as living in Scotland for twenty years really taught me how bad pubs can be (apart from the Bothy in Fort Augustus and the Bothy in Kirkwall).

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

You'd like the Vale in Bollington. More dogs than people some nights.

Just looked on the www, will certainly do a visit next time we are down that way. Currently in Hebden Bridge where almost all pubs, most shops and most cafes are dog friendly. Is the beer good? looks like a homebrew pub, some taste like homebrew and some are just wonderful.

............Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Just looked on the www, will certainly do a visit next time we are down that way. Currently in Hebden Bridge where almost all pubs, most shops and most cafes are dog friendly. Is the beer good? looks like a homebrew pub, some taste like homebrew and some are just wonderful.

............Dave

Excellent beer. The brewery is just across the road...

More good news - they now have a row of keg taps for the more adventurous drinker.

55 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

This thread is now over 24 hrs old with only 5 responses. That's almost a record for some one asking a sensible question.

Actually I think it represents the view that there are very few bad pubs. I love most pubs as living in Scotland for twenty years really taught me how bad pubs can be (apart from the Bothy in Fort Augustus and the Bothy in Kirkwall).

Have you tried the pubs in Fort William !!

:)

My first experience of pubs was spit and sawdust pubs in shoeburyness. As an outsider they would definitely be avoided, as a local they were full of friends and rellies.

The pubs of my yoof are either demolished, turned into flats or eateries now. Tis a crying shame.

The pub I occasionally pop in to to read the local paper and have a drink had a "makeover" a year ago, replacing the standard chairs with wicker chairs, the staff all changed to young 'uns. They stopped selling toasties.

A year later the same demographic as before use the pub, no one sits in the wicker chairs as they are not very comfortable, the old staff have returned. So apart from losing the paper rack, and gaining some "makeover posters" , nothing much has changed. They don't keep betting slips any more. The makeover never extended to the toilets or the carpets.

I don't mind what folks might consider "rough" pubs, some are OK. Good staff are the kind who let you wait even though you are first in the queue in order to serve the regulars :). The male staff are called Jimmy, the females are Maggie, non of yer poncy Julian's any more.

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Like all pub chains, 'Spoons have good ones and bad.  I wouldn't avoid them because of the name.  Best one I've been in? Whittlesea - I made a point of telling the manager and he was chuffed.  Worst? Pontefract.    Most overrated canalside pub?  The Anchor at High Offley - limited opening, indifferent beer, unsmiling service and bloody folk singers.

Ahh but there may be good reasons for limited opening hours and folk singers. Limited opening hours means he or she probably understands his business and open when its worth opening rather than 3 or 4 people warming a half of beer whilst staff have to be paid. I ran one pub that had done folk singing for years so I kept it on and we were rammed out of the door every sunday evening. The next incumbent stopped the folk singing and lost 80 percent of the sunday night trade. the pub again does folk singing and is again rammed. There are no two pubs alike and knowing the requirements for the pub you are running is ninety per cent of whats needed to be succesful. I will not ever darken the door of a Wetherspoons but you quite rightly say they are not all alike.

14 hours ago, dmr said:

You can't criticise the Anchor here,its a pilgrimage for many boaters. Does anybody know why and how a pub in deepest Shropshire sells Wadworths. And the "folk" singer is a canal hero. I went in once and asked him if he would like a drink....."yes please, I'll have two pints of 6X".

As owners of a dog that can't be left alone the 'spoons is a no-go for us as they have an absolute dog ban, in most of them dogs are not even allowed outside. Most sell the common "national" beers though did have a good few pints in a 'spoons in Liverpool.

................Dave

We stopped at the Anchor based on the wonderful reports about it. Yes it's an untouched pub gem dating back to the "good old days". If only the beer had been better we'd have stayed all night instead of going back to the boat, where the beer *was* better... ?

Edited by IanD

18 hours ago, dmr said:

As owners of a dog that can't be left alone the 'spoons is a no-go for us as they have an absolute dog ban, in most of them dogs are not even allowed outside.

Sign outside the Tom o' the Wood at Rowington on the GU:

Dogs welcome.

Children must be kept on a lead.

People tolerated.

(I would just add that the Tom o' the Wood is not a pub to be avoided)

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Ange said:

My first experience of pubs was spit and sawdust pubs in shoeburyness. As an outsider they would definitely be avoided, as a local they were full of friends and rellies.

The pubs of my yoof are either demolished, turned into flats or eateries now. Tis a crying shame.

image.png.6c42ffa961cf01dcb3d60683e81d93cf.png

Yes.

The Britannia in Barking. The only Youngs pub in the area where I grew up.

Propped up the back bar of a Friday night with a yoof called Stephen who is now better known as Billy Bragg.

Closed as a pub and now a hotel but the bosomy caryatids are still holding the frontage up (I think)

ETA Image from beerinthevening.com

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Sign outside the Tom o' the Wood at Rowington on the GU:

Dogs welcome.

Children must be kept on a lead.

People tolerated.

(I would just add that the Tom o' the Wood is not a pub to be avoided)

Agreed.

We went there twice last year and really enjoyed the food, beer and service.

............Dave

In Hebden Bridge I liked the Trades Club personally although I am not sure about dogs. they claim (like many others that hendrix played his last gig there)  but I have seen some good bands there and the beer was good too.(and maybe even subsidised)

Went last year to the Broughton Arms at Rode Heath on T&M...ordered a pint which was sour, got  a sour response from the woman who served it so she gave me a pint of Youngs which was fine and left the other on the counter. The other barmaid then asked sourface " Whats that pint doing there? " to which she replied " He says its off".

The barmaid then says " Its been off since yesterday" but sourface never apologises to me.

I then go into the garden with my 2 dogs picking up a menu to order a pudding and the waiter says " order at the bar please" so I go back to the bar and sourface tells me " the kitchen is closed" and then the other barmaid  says " No, its OK for desserts"  so I get my pudding, drink up and decide...never again.

Next time I will go to the Royal Oak which is a walk away but maybe the service and the beer are better. Gave the Broughton zero points on Tripadvisor

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

image.png.6c42ffa961cf01dcb3d60683e81d93cf.png

Yes.

The Britannia in Barking. The only Youngs pub in the area where I grew up.

Propped up the back bar of a Friday night with a yoof called Stephen who is now better known as Billy Bragg.

Closed as a pub and now a hotel but the bosomy caryatids are still holding the frontage up (I think)

ETA Image from beerinthevening.com

You know Billy!

18 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Went last year to the Broughton Arms at Rode Heath on T&M...ordered a pint which was sour, got  a sour response from the woman who served it so she gave me a pint of Youngs which was fine and left the other on the counter. The other barmaid then asked sourface " Whats that pint doing there? " to which she replied " He says its off".

The barmaid then says " Its been off since yesterday" but sourface never apologises to me.

I then go into the garden with my 2 dogs picking up a menu to order a pudding and the waiter says " order at the bar please" so I go back to the bar and sourface tells me " the kitchen is closed" and then the other barmaid  says " No, its OK for desserts"  so I get my pudding, drink up and decide...never again.

Next time I will go to the Royal Oak which is a walk away but maybe the service and the beer are better. Gave the Broughton zero points on Tripadvisor

I wasn't impressed with either when I was in last summer.  From my 2018 Pub Cruise :

BROUGHTON ARMS, Rode Heath (May 3) 4+3+6=13 Marstons. Too busy with meals - had to sit outside on cold evening.

ROYAL OAK, Rode Heath (May 3) 1+3+7=11 More of a locals' pub, further from the canal, so quieter.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

You know Billy!

Well, not quite. He was still Stephen back in 1975.

He went to Westbury school (I think) but was mates with a group of lads in the year below me at Barking Abbey. The Britannia was our pub of choice on a Friday night. (You might think we were under age drinkers but I couldn't possibly comment)

They formed a band called Riff Raff, releasing a single called 'Romford Girls'. Later they became Riff Raff and Billy Bragg.

I lost touch when I went to university but seem to remember something about them moving to somewhere near Northampton and featuring on 'That's Life' when a farmer dumped a load of manure outside the cottage where they were all living.

This was inthe bad old days when few pubs sold cask beer. The choice in Barking was Charrington's Crown and IPA in the Victoria or the Bull, or Young's Special in the Brit. I never really liked the Special. I know memory plays tricks over the years, and that it is no longer brewed at Wandsworth, but I'm convinced the Young's Special of today tastes nothing like the Young's Special of then.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Well, not quite. He was still Stephen back in 1975.

(Snip)

This was inthe bad old days when few pubs sold cask beer. The choice in Barking was Charrington's Crown and IPA in the Victoria or the Bull, or Young's Special in the Brit. I never really liked the Special. I know memory plays tricks over the years, and that it is no longer brewed at Wandsworth, but I'm convinced the Young's Special of today tastes nothing like the Young's Special of then.

For some reason I don't drink much Youngs these days but my fuddled mind seems to recall that after a night on the Special you didn't remember much the next morning!

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:20, Mac of Cygnet said:

We went in the Anchor for an evening drink (singular) the year before last; I ordered a glass of white wine for Gill, the old lady serving asked if she wanted it chilled, as the answer was Yes she went into her sitting room behind the bar,opened her (domestic) fridge and got a small bottle of white and passed a glass and the bottle to Gill - Slightly unusual I thought but quite quaint. What wasn't so quaint was the Wadworths, she poured about 2/3rds of a pint with a large head. I thought to myself I'll have to ask her to top that one up a bit, then she topped it up from the drip-tray!

I was too speechless for words.

Mind you on the plus side it was dog-friendly, the locals were friendly (&  amused by the beer sideshow) and we were all of the confirmed opinion that the beer was crap.

Only stopped for the one drink that night.