Thornycroft BMC 1.5 timing Chain Oil Seal

austinlegro

Featured Posts

Chaps.

I've a very leaky seal on my timing chain cover. The seal is spinning in the cover and is what I would call a 'drop-in' fit...
I bought an MGB cover, gasket and seal. painted it all up, went to fit it and it's not quite right - doesn't fit.

Clearly an MGB cover is different to a BMC 1.5 cover.

Advice. Should I try and find a replacement cover? Sikaflex the seal into the existing cover? Somehow improve the seal fit - centre punch the housing? Glue?

All thoughts welcome!

3 minutes ago, austinlegro said:

Chaps.

I've a very leaky seal on my timing chain cover. The seal is spinning in the cover and is what I would call a 'drop-in' fit...
I bought an MGB cover, gasket and seal. painted it all up, went to fit it and it's not quite right - doesn't fit.

Clearly an MGB cover is different to a BMC 1.5 cover.

Advice. Should I try and find a replacement cover? Sikaflex the seal into the existing cover? Somehow improve the seal fit - centre punch the housing? Glue?

All thoughts welcome!

Is it a new seal thats slipping? Anyway you could stick it in with Sikaflex. Put the chain case back on with all fixing bolts loose, grease seal lip, fit pulley, turn engine round a few times and tighten bolts, opposites. This is to centralize the seal on the pulley track to help prevent leaks.