Gas hob numptyness rating

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

The continuing stooooory of a quack who's gone to the dogs.

Does my numptyness know no bounds?

For the past three weeks, my 2 year old Thetford 3 burner gas hob (you know....the sexy looking one) has been playing up. When I try to light it, it goes 'click click click …..ad infinitum'...then doesnt light. Mrs Bob comes along and it lights instantly. Now my main job on the boat (top of my job description) is to make the coffee in bed in the morning. Problem! Cant light the hob. Mrs Bob has to get out of bed to light the damn thing. Wot on earth is going on? (that is earth....not negative, Tony!). Mrs Bob was not a happy bunny! The duck just laughs.

Then it came to me!

I started a previous thread on problems with my 12v distribution panel. An earthing issue. Did what @Jen-in-Wellies suggested and took all the -ve leads off. Now the panel is working fine. I did have the hob problem at the same time and thought the hob issue would go away one the panel was sorted...but it didn't. Must be an earth problem methinks?

So this morning....all sorted. If I use a tea towel or cloth to turn the knob so my fingers are not in direct contact with the knob it works. WTF! Mrs Bob can once again look forward to the joys of coffee in bed without getting her feet cold first. I should get a better rating in my annual assessment.

So, can someone with a low numptyness rating please tell me what is going wrong with the -ve connection – not that I am likely to find any wires as they are all buried under the hob with no clue how to take it all apart.

Peace has now been restored and no fish were harmed in the posting of this note.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

If Mrs Bob had to do the coffee each morning, then she would expect me to partake in making the evening meal. No. Its on my job description.

You could make Cold meats and salad for the evening meal as you can't light the hob

• Haha 2

Just now, frahkn said:

When a reply involving capacitance, paths to earth and other technical erudition comes along - can it please explain the difference between Dr Bob and Mrs Bob in this area.

Well that is the nub of the problem. Is Mrs Bob more negative than me? Wotever will be along in a minute to tell you that it isnt earth but negative. I am a very positive person normally. Mrs Bob was definitely more negative this morning getting back into bed with cold feet ....that was before I sorted the problem.

@WotEver

By the time Mrs Bob's feet were cold presumably the hob was on.

I have to ask, in what circumstances you then found occasion to investigate the problem further - thus leading to your, possibly Nobel winning discovery?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The continuing stooooory of a quack who's gone to the dogs.

Does my numptyness know no bounds?

For the past three weeks, my 2 year old Thetford 3 burner gas hob (you know....the sexy looking one) has been playing up. When I try to light it, it goes 'click click click …..ad infinitum'...then doesnt light. Mrs Bob comes along and it lights instantly. Now my main job on the boat (top of my job description) is to make the coffee in bed in the morning. Problem! Cant light the hob. Mrs Bob has to get out of bed to light the damn thing. Wot on earth is going on? (that is earth....not negative, Tony!). Mrs Bob was not a happy bunny! The duck just laughs.

How on 'Earth' do you make coffee in bed? 

Thank you for the tips about having a job description, this could be subject to negotiation during the Liverpool/ManU game today :) 

• Haha 1

If the hob goes click, click, click it suggests the igniter is working  but are the sparks arriving at the electrodes by the burners? They can short out if the wires get displaced so maybe condensation has dried a little by the time Mrs Bob gets at it.

Could Mss Bob be pushing the burner knob in harder than Dr Bob? (Assuming you have to to overcome the flame failure device so to let the gas through).

13 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

How on 'Earth' do you make coffee in bed? 

Thank you for the tips about having a job description, this could be subject to negotiation during the Liverpool/ManU game today :) 

There's a game that is, for me, unmissable. Are you a red or a red supporter?

Move the hob to within arms reach of the bed, she can then make it herself. :closedeyes: Or move the bed next to the hob.  If the mountain won't come to Mohamet, Mohamet must go to the mountain. Or was that Hiawatha.

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1

Excellent choice. A must win for Mr Ole. I've never reallygot in with Liverpool although I was born a stones throw away and joined up from Liverpool. Their excellent run in the late seventies and eighties turned me against hem, as Manu did for others under Fergie rein.

Now in Whittington. Co-op time.

53 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

John follows both 'tribes', but coming from Salford I'm in the ManU camp. It'll be interesting :) 

24 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Excellent choice. A must win for Mr Ole. I've never reallygot in with Liverpool although I was born a stones throw away and joined up from Liverpool. Their excellent run in the late seventies and eighties turned me against hem, as Manu did for others under Fergie rein.

Now in Whittington. Co-op time.

Oh no, you are not both Man ure fans are you?

Mo to get his 50th league goal today to break the record!

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Mrs Bob is more down to earth? (Sorry @Tony Brooks)

It was the other Tony i was referring to. .....oh wotever.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I believe you have a big inverter Dr Bob, and will soon have a li-on battery installation, so why not get a Nespresso machine and use that to make coffee rather than the hob? ?

Actually Mrs Bob only drinks coffee from the nesspresso machine but has to get up to put the kettle on for ME as I much prefer instant coffee.........It makes it worse the hob ignition is needed for me.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Could Mss Bob be pushing the burner knob in harder than Dr Bob? (Assuming you have to to overcome the flame failure device so to let the gas through).

No Tony. In true muppet scientific mode, I have assessed all the variables. Pushing, pulling, where the knob is, where the knob isnt, time of day, day of the week, me in front of Mrs Bob, me behind Mrs Bob, how full the kettle is, kettle on, kettle off, kettle on after 5 seconds, gas ring hot, gas ring cold, voltage available, whether water pump and toilet pump are pumping etc etc. Gas lights on the first spark every time. Keeps going every time Mrs Bob releases the knob. Flame goes out every time I release it. Defo the flame protection device. When I use a tea towel between my fingers and the knob, it works every time as per Mrs Bob.

Of course it has to be something to do with capacitance as Frahkn suggested earlier but suspect maybe these weird effects are down to an -ve connection issue.

Not yet tried it with wet fingers.

Unfortunately the game is about to start otherwise I would plan another set of leading edge experiments to prove the hypothesis.

Perhaps my ecofan (other fans are available) has set up  a sympathetic capacitance/inductance circuit with the hob.?

15 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Actually Mrs Bob only drinks coffee from the nesspresso machine but has to get up to put the kettle on for ME as I much prefer instant coffee.........It makes it worse the hob ignition is needed for me.

You could always try matches to light the hob. That's what Mrs Ch makes me do when I've forgotten to turn the inverter on and she is dwsperate fkr a cup of tea. ?

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You could always try matches to light the hob. That's what Mrs Ch makes me do when I've forgotten to turn the inverter on and she is dwsperate fkr a cup of tea. ?

No, it lights no problem with the igniter, the problem is the flame goes out when I let go of the knob, but doesnt when Mrs Bob lets go. That's why it is likely the flame protection device.

It's not April 1st yet.

28 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, it lights no problem with the igniter, the problem is the flame goes out when I let go of the knob, but doesnt when Mrs Bob lets go. That's why it is likely the flame protection device.

It's not April 1st yet.

Ah, you need to hold it in for a bit longer, say 20 seconds after it has lit, and if that isn't long enough, keep increasing it by 10 seconds each time until it stays in after you have released the button.

20 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Ah, you need to hold it in for a bit longer, say 20 seconds after it has lit, and if that isn't long enough, keep increasing it by 10 seconds each time until it stays in after you have released the button.

... or until the kettle boils, whichever happens first

• Haha 3