Refurbing

Lizette

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am ripping out kitchen o n my 44 foot narrow boat and need to empty the calorofier as does not seem to have a shut off valve and thought I might take this opportunity to move it.

It is currently under the bed and I have decid d to move it and have it vertically in a cupboard.

Is there a way I can use the same calorofier or do I need to buy a new one.

I have also researched and explored blogs and forums for how to empty and remove. O understand but would love it if someone had a clear diagram and stages of process with image for each stage.

I am very visual! I cannot even find a good book with clear and precise stages.

Help!!

53 minutes ago, Bee said:

Why not? Genuine question, I really don't know.

I am no plumber but have read :

"The tanks are made both ways, but if you fit an upright tank on its side the outlet will be in the wrong place (it should be on the top and will now be 'on the side' and you will not get the hot water out from the tank above the outlet assuming it is not full of air. This will be very inefficient".

Cold water goes in at the bottom and hot comes out the top, so a horizontal tank has the in and out points on the domed end, but with cold at the bottom and hot at the top.  Stand the tank upright and now cold goes in at the top and mixes (cooling down) the hot water.  In case you don’t know the hot water being lighter is at the top of the tank with cold at the bottom.   This is why a tall slim tank works better than a short or horizontal tank.  But on a boat most designs prefer a horizontal tank as you can put it under something.

also the heating coils need to be low down as they only heat the water that is above then, so stand a horizontal tank upright and it may not heat up all the water.

Edited by Chewbacka

I wonder why you want to move it: perhaps to create more storage space? From the above comments, it would be better to leave it where it is and to use the cupboard (perhaps fitted with shelves) for your storage.

Sell the existing tank and get one designed for vertical fitting, if you want to mount it vertically. Too many compromises in using the wrong type. Emptying a cauliflower with no isolation valve on the cold water inlet is easy. Leave all the hot water taps in the boat closed and remove the cold water in pipe. only a few drops should escape. A valve can then be pushed on if you want. You can then use a hot tap, or rotate the knob on the pressure relief valve to let water out in to a suitable bucket.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

55 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Sell the existing tank and get one designed for vertical fitting, if you want to mount it vertically. Too many compromises in using the wrong type. Emptying a cauliflower with no isolation valve on the cold water inlet is easy. Leave all the hot water taps in the boat closed and remove the cold water in pipe. only a few drops should escape. A valve can then be pushed on if you want. You can then use a hot tap, or rotate the knob on the pressure relief valve to let water out in to a suitable bucket.

Jen

Can I come and watch please? I like a good laugh. You forgot to tell him to turn the pump off first!!:giggles:

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The calorifier will still get emptied. Just the water tank will get emptied too!

But a very big bucket required!

I tend to use a vacuum that discharges through  another hose as you fill up the container, it was intended for pond emptying, very clever and handy,