No heating on-board - a deal breaker?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

I'm exploring a compact Sea Otter 26 narrowboat as it'd be ideal for our leisure cruising needs.  However the one I'm looking at hasn't got heating, which is kind of putting me off.   Fitting a stove wouldn't really be possible as I need to keep a 3 berth layout and there's no room.   Is it possible to retro-fit Webasto heating or something similar without messing the interior - and is it expensive?  Or is there an alternative that I'm not thinking of ?? - (besides extra blankets and jumpers).  

Edited by larrysanders

8 minutes ago, larrysanders said:

I'm exploring a compact Sea Otter 26 narrowboat as it'd be ideal for our leisure cruising needs.  However the one I'm looking at hasn't got heating, which is kind of putting me off.   Fitting a stove wouldn't really be possible as I need to keep a 3 berth layout and there's no room.   Is it possible to retro-fit Webasto heating or something similar without messing the interior - and is it expensive?  Or is there an alternative that I'm not thinking of ?? - (besides extra blankets and jumpers).  

Is not having a shower fitted a deal breaker?

There's a well fitted out 3 berth 30 footer for sale at Harris's at Syston.???

We have a 26 foot sea Otter which has a gas Carver p4 which it has to be said has never worked all that well but we have very seldom felt the need for heating - and the boat is in Scotland. My better half Iain will respond later as he has said that's other forms of heating can be installed 

Haggis 

I wouldn't want a boat without heating, but then I cruise all year round. There's plenty of occasions in spring and autumn when you need it even if winter cruising isn't on your to do list though.  For more than summer cruising I believe you need two sources of heating, actually!

As Haggis said, Gamebird has a Carver P4 gas warm air heater. It's actually pretty reliable, once I got into the guts of it and figured out the common P4 faults :) ( Bit academic, as the P4 has been out of production for years!)

A Propex warm air heater would be a direct replacement, although if I was fitting a new heater, I'd go for diesel rather than gas. The 26' Sea Otter may have a fairly small diesel tank, but gas in small bottles costs!

Our layout has a wardrobe on the left as you enter from the back hatch, and the Carver is under the floor of the wardrobe, plus through the base of the locker under the dinette seat. Layouts vary, but I'm really surprised there isn't any form of heating fitted.

Looking back at the Sea Otter site, some boats have a Truma E2400 fitted. (Logical, I suppose, as it was Truma's pricing policy that caused Carver to stop making heaters!)

An alternative might be a small (I.e. Miniature!) multi-fuel burner, as Ronnie Tucker of Schooldays fitted, and posted details on this site.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I wouldn't want a boat without heating, but then I cruise all year round. There's plenty of occasions in spring and autumn when you need it even if winter cruising isn't on your to do list though.  For more than summer cruising I believe you need two sources of heating, actually!

Summer of 2000 we had a brand new boat which like a numpty even then with over ten years liveaboard experience I fitted a crap diesel stove for heating. It was useless and a very cold june so we had jumpers etc and coats on. Two lessons learnt number one is dont boat without some proper heat source, lesson two always make sure the heat source is a solid fuel stove!! Having said that a webasto or somett would suffice for the op.

Edited by mrsmelly

40 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

As Haggis said, Gamebird has a Carver P4 gas warm air heater. It's actually pretty reliable, once I got into the guts of it and figured out the common P4 faults :) ( Bit academic, as the P4 has been out of production for years!)

A Propex warm air heater would be a direct replacement, although if I was fitting a new heater, I'd go for diesel rather than gas. The 26' Sea Otter may have a fairly small diesel tank, but gas in small bottles costs!

Our layout has a wardrobe on the left as you enter from the back hatch, and the Carver is under the floor of the wardrobe, plus through the base of the locker under the dinette seat. Layouts vary, but I'm really surprised there isn't any form of heating fitted.

Looking back at the Sea Otter site, some boats have a Truma E2400 fitted. (Logical, I suppose, as it was Truma's pricing policy that caused Carver to stop making heaters!)

An alternative might be a small (I.e. Miniature!) multi-fuel burner, as Ronnie Tucker of Schooldays fitted, and posted details on this site.

Thanks for this info, really helpful! - yes I'm really surprised there's no heating at all.   It does have another issue.  There's serious damp below the front windows and it's wrecked paneling - so I'd need to sort this out.   Have you ever had a problem like this?   The boat in question is on Apollo Duck at 22k.  Thanks again!  

2 minutes ago, larrysanders said:

Thanks for this info, really helpful! - yes I'm really surprised there's no heating at all.   It does have another issue.  There's serious damp below the front windows and it's wrecked paneling - so I'd need to sort this out.   Have you ever had a problem like this?   The boat in question is on Apollo Duck at 22k.  Thanks again!  

I've just heard back from the seller.  The boat did originally have an Attwood heater but it was condemned and removed.  There's still the trunking in place.  

1 hour ago, larrysanders said:

We have some staining at the bottom of the galley window, which was caused by water being able to pass through the join between the main window frame and the bit which restrains the hopper section. Nothing serious, and fixed by a gob of silicon, which has lasted for over ten years now.

I take it the boat in question is Osney Venture?

Some research on the Sea Otter site reveals that the Atwood heater did warm air and hot water, and that the calorifier replaced the hot water bit. At one stage, the owner says he has a Propex heater for the warm air, but I don't know if it was ever fitted.

22 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

It's on the towpath side opposite the `marina`,blue with a magnolia top, cratch and stern covers,skull on the tiller arm!??

On Appolo Duck website,narrowboats,cruiser stern 30 foot,price is negotiable.???

Edited by Ian F B
Mistake

47 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

We have some staining at the bottom of the galley window, which was caused by water being able to pass through the join between the main window frame and the bit which restrains the hopper section. Nothing serious, and fixed by a gob of silicon, which has lasted for over ten years now.

I take it the boat in question is Osney Venture?

Some research on the Sea Otter site reveals that the Atwood heater did warm air and hot water, and that the calorifier replaced the hot water bit. At one stage, the owner says he has a Propex heater for the warm air, but I don't know if it was ever fitted.

Yes it's Osney Venture.  The bottom of the galley window is a real mess.  While the boat looks in good order - the paneling looks rotten and needs replacing, I think it's been leaking for some time.  I'm getting a quote as I think the window would need removing and refitting and resealing etc.  

2 minutes ago, larrysanders said:

Yes it's Osney Venture.  The bottom of the galley window is a real mess.  While the boat looks in good order - the paneling looks rotten and needs replacing, I think it's been leaking for some time.  I'm getting a quote as I think the window would need removing and refitting and resealing etc.  

IMG_1925[10].JPG

Are you sure you don't have room for a tiny hearth and a little stove? I was thinking small pot belly but you might be able to fit something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Miniature-Mini-Coal-Wood-Burner-Stove-Heater-Shed-Summerhouse-Workshop-Garage-66/1361835900

Stoves are the only truly reliable form of heating on boats - at least for living aboard, and that's the real test. All other forms of heating seem to go wrong eventually.

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Are you sure you don't have room for a tiny hearth and a little stove? I was thinking small pot belly but you might be able to fit something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Miniature-Mini-Coal-Wood-Burner-Stove-Heater-Shed-Summerhouse-Workshop-Garage-66/1361835900

Stoves are the only truly reliable form of heating on boats - at least for living aboard, and that's the real test. All other forms of heating seem to go wrong eventually.

Thanks for the link - those mini stoves do look interesting!

5 hours ago, larrysanders said:

It is very probably cheaper to buy a boat that has heating already installed.

However i am sure heating could be fitted.  There are Russian made heaters from 'Planar' and even cheaper from China which make Eberspacher and Webasto look  very expensive. Even so the cost of professional installation will be much  the same regardless of the price of the heater.

My first boat did not have heating . However my chief officer insisted its replacement had heating !