Cambridge University historic aerial photo archive released

DandV

Featured Posts

Just started browsing these photos.  What a fascinating collection especially the black and white photos from about page 45 onwards. What especially interested me were the port and dock photos showing a multitude of small ships, and lighters and the massive adjacent rail yards full of four wheel wagons. Also liked the photo of the River Fal taken in 1948 full of laid up Naval vessels. I have not yet found any photos that showed any of the inland waterways in the first 100 pages though.

1 hour ago, DandV said:

Just started browsing these photos.  What a fascinating collection especially the black and white photos from about page 45 onwards. What especially interested me were the port and dock photos showing a multitude of small ships, and lighters and the massive adjacent rail yards full of four wheel wagons. Also liked the photo of the River Fal taken in 1948 full of laid up Naval vessels. I have not yet found any photos that showed any of the inland waterways in the first 100 pages though.

Would it be possible to post a link to these photos?

Howard

On 23/02/2019 at 04:43, DandV said:

That's one handsome ketch on your avatar .

That is Halcyon which was a training vessel owned by the School of Navigation at Warsash but is now privately owned and used in the charter business. Here is a link if you are interested. It was the first vessel in which I went to sea many years ago.

https://www.tnielsen.co.uk/halcyon-bermuda-ketch/

halycon

Howard

Thanks for the link to the boatbuilders site. It is great this skill base is being maintained and new apprentices coming through. I spent some time at that boatyard just looking over the fence when in Gloucester when we were there in 2013. Halcyon was alongside and we passed her a couple of days later on the Sharpness Gloucester canal when she was outbound and we were inbound.

Edited by DandV
Spellink

There is a direct link to the original images (The Cambridge University Collection of Aerial Photography (CUCAP) is the result of airborne survey campaigns which were started in 1947 by the pioneering JK St Joseph.) and canals. Kenneth St Joseph was the husband of Daphne March (my aunt). Daphne, who along with her brother Christopher, had the working boat Heather Bell had the suggestion that women operated boats during the war - these were the trainees but (sadly I think) more colloquially known as 'Idle Women'.