Bow Thruster Battery Not Charging

Featured Posts

when I had a Vetus 75kgf BT in my 57ft boat I fitted a battery adjacent to the BT and linked the battery directly in parallel with the leisure batteries using 120sq.mm welding cable +ve and -ve, with no other charging arrangements, and incorporating a mega fuse. 

worked a treat.    

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

All the OP needs to do is measure the voltage on the bowthuster battery, start the engine and run it for a short while and see if the bowthruster battery voltage increases.

He’s already stated that he has, and it doesn’t. 

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

I took OP to mean that there was voltage on both sides of the VSR. Perhaps I was wrong and the guy was actually measuring current but somehow I doubt it. 

My bet is still on a fuse. 

That’s certainly the most likely culprit. 

I agree a fuse is most likely and also go along with the chap probably only measured voltage but the OP ha still not confined there is a negative charging lead as well as the positive.

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree a fuse is most likely and also go along with the chap probably only measured voltage but the OP ha still not confined there is a negative charging lead as well as the positive.

Well, my other assumption is that it used to work and has only recently stopped. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Well, my other assumption is that it used to work and has only recently stopped. 

My feeling was that that was what most would assume although it was not specifically stated.

We regularly hear such horror stories about electrics, both professional and amateur I try not to assume.

28 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

We regularly hear such horror stories about electrics, both professional and amateur I try not to assume.

One of my biggest failings on here is making assumptions. Maybe I should adopt the police’s ABC: Accept nothing, Believe no-one, Challenge everything. ;) 

Edited by WotEver
Typo

44 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Indeed. 

So we are back to an open circuit be it in the pos or neg so as said fuses, poor connections, no neg. Then the possibility the relay is wrongly connected or faulty. Some have a sense wire and if that is connected to the BT battery side I doubt it would ever close.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Then the possibility the relay is wrongly connected or faulty. Some have a sense wire and if that is connected to the BT battery side I doubt it would ever close.

Apparently the engineer confirmed that the VSR was closing and that it had current [sic] both sides, so unlikely to be that. 

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Post #6 :)

Post #6 doesn't actually say that. A possible, although admittedly unlikely reading is : engine running, check voltage : 13.8V: run bowthruster, check voltage again, still 13.8V.