Where is it?

Horace42

Featured Posts

Well they look like Oxfordshire Narrowboats hire boats, and it's clearly not the Oxford Canal.

I've never been there, but I believe they have (or had?) another base at Bradford on Avon.

So my best guess is Bradford on Avon?

EDIT:

Has the image been reversed, though?

This from CRT looks like the same place, but the other way around!

33739.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

29 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Well they look like Oxfordshire Narrowboats hire boats, and it's clearly not the Oxford Canal.

I've never been there, but I believe they have (or had?) another base at Bradford on Avon.

So my best guess is Bradford on Avon?

EDIT:

Has the image been reversed, though?

This from CRT looks like the same place, but the other way around!

33739.jpg

Geograph has the same orientation as CRT. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3624522

3624522_4c942cd5.jpg

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Geograph has the same orientation as CRT. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3624522

3624522_4c942cd5.jpg

I'm somewhat surprised that the boat in the foreground has made it all the way from the GU to Bradford on Avon.  It certainly never went very far when it was resident in Hertfordshire!

2 hours ago, adrianh said:

This is Bradford on Avon , picture taken from the eating area at the pub.

I don't think so.

Looking at the position of the water point, It appears to be taken from just above the top lock gate.

Not this century though!

8 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

I don't think so.

Looking at the position of the water point, It appears to be taken from just above the top lock gate.

Not this century though!

He was maybe confused by the picture being printed the wrong way round.

What makes you sure it's 20 years or so old?

JP

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

What makes you sure it's 20 years or so old?

JP

Cos there's a mooring space!  ?

More seriously, there appears to be vegetation on the far right hand side.  No evidence of the toilet block having been built.

And what looks like a footbridge in the far distance.  The photo is too poor to see the detail properly though.

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It's from back in the day when Bradford on Avon was the other way around - colour photography was still in its infancy then. ;)

Thanks. I will settle for Bradford ..... but hasn't colour photography always been around - pictures we have of long ago are black and white because everything in the world was black and white....

4 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Thanks. I will settle for Bradford ..... but hasn't colour photography always been around - pictures we have of long ago are black and white because everything in the world was black and white....

You may have a point there. Some folk still seem to be black and white even now!

Edited by Sea Dog
Sp

20 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Old photos are the only thing that accurately record the world when it was black and white. Paintings were in black and white too of course, but they turned colour along with almost everything else. What with entire towns being turned round backwards, the past could be very confusing. There were shades of grey back then too, but no one is interested in them any more. Bradford on Avon turned colour quiet early on, but Bradford in Yorkshire only got colour three years ago.

Jen

• Happy 1

I  used to work the K&A Trust trip boat at Bradford on Avon, and can confirm that the WW photo is definitely a reversed photo of the area above Bradford on Avon Lock. Here is the photo showing correct orientation, together with one of mine taken from the same position when I was working there.

2049231975_BOA(2).jpg.b01a908f743fead3814749c425193966.jpg

964972210_Clypeus01.JPG.4e4f567565452870e647d0f5cc0c3ed7.JPG

To settle the date of the photo, the second photo was taken 20 years ago and the boat moored immediately above the lock is the trip boat I used to work. The WW photo is much later, after the K&A Trust vacated the Wharf building and Oxfordshire Narrowboats took over something like ten years ago.

Edited by David Schweizer

30 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I  used to work the K&A Trust trip boat at Bradford on Avon, and can confirm that the WW photo is definitely a reversed photo of the area above Bradford on Avon Lock. Here is the photo showing correct orientation, together with one of mine taken from the same position when I was working there.

2049231975_BOA(2).jpg.b01a908f743fead3814749c425193966.jpg

964972210_Clypeus01.JPG.4e4f567565452870e647d0f5cc0c3ed7.JPG

To settle the date of the photo, the second photo was taken 20 years ago and the boat moored immediately above the lock is the trip boat I used to work. The WW photo is much later, after the K&A Trust vacated the Wharf building and Oxfordshire Narrowboats took over something like ten years ago.

Yep. That is absolutely right.