Liverpool Boats

Jon Cartwright

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Ther is no point in arguing with Athy.  He does what he does well, well.

There's no argument, just a clarification about editing posts. The discussion arose because I pointed out that I had edited my own words - if I hadn't bothered, it's probable that no one would have noticed! I simply felt that it was polite to do so.

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

The thought of John White and Triton did occur to me as I knew of several with Lombardini units.

I know the subtle differences between L/P and J White but what was the connection?

Mine is a John White with Lombardini engine and it is an excellent boat; he had a very good reputation up North but I don't think he builds any more.

17 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Mine is a John White with Lombardini engine and it is an excellent boat; he had a very good reputation up North but I don't think he builds any more.

According to internet info, the company still exists and has directors (who do not include him), but I think you're right. Oddly, the information states that the company was founded in 2003; I clearly remember admiring one of his new builds at Whilton Marina in 1998 when we were hunting for our first boat.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

According to internet info, the company still exists and has directors (who do not include him), but I think you're right. Oddly, the information states that the company was founded in 2003; I clearly remember admiring one of his new builds at Whilton Marina in 1998 when we were hunting for our first boat.

Apparently dissolved:

JOHN WHITE BOAT BUILDER LTD

UK Flag 21 Reeves Avenue, Bootle, L20 0BJ

12 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, quite.I wonder why it still has directors.

A dissolved company can be restored to the register within 6 years of its dissolution. 

A company can only be dissolved if it has no debts which is where it differs from a liquidation. 

A dissolution is sometimes used if the directors want to take a break or 'rest' a company for whatever reason. 

All proper and above board, gives the option of restarting a company at any time within the 6 year period without the need to restart another company. 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

On 26/02/2019 at 08:20, Dr Bob said:

I agree with LG.

If you quote some one, then you are quoting what they said. It is totally wrong for anyone to try and change that quote. Anyone! If the quote had a spelling mistake then hard luck on the person who wrote the quote. 

I've fixed that for you ...

On 26/02/2019 at 08:42, alan_fincher said:

In your world maybe, but I agree with Dr Bob, and I suspect others would as well.

So, in your world it is somehow a sin to correct one's own mistake.? How extraordinary. As for your last statement, what is the merit in seeing that one has made a typing error and deciding not to correct it? That would be sloppy and lazy. 

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, in your world it is somehow a sin to correct one's own mistake.? How extraordinary. As for your last statement, what is the merit in seeing that one has made a typing error and deciding not to correct it? That would be sloppy and lazy. 

Ah, but I dont agree.

If I quote someone else's post, that quote then becomes "mine'. Why should someone else be allowed  to change it. Couple of examples.

Two posts ago, Biscuits changed my post in his quote of me. I didnt want that. I purposely used the word speeling and didnt want him to change it. Now, you may say that that is not the issue as Biscuits is changing my post, not his own....so another example.

Say Rusty posts to say he has just installed 10,000W of solar panel on his roof. I see he has made a mistake. As he is my arch rival, I post, quoting him and quietly get a dig in. Whilst he has the right to edit his post, he should not have the right to edit ANY of my post which includes his quote. He posted something that was not correct. I should have the right to repeat that error. Now this isnt normally an issue because us mere mortals cannot change our own quoted bits in other peoples posts, but the mods can.

Athy, I am not expecting you to agree with me but I know a lot of others will.:)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ah, but I dont agree.

If I quote someone else's post, that quote then becomes "mine'

No, it does not. I am not sure about the practice of quoting someone and deliberately changing their words; as this is normally done for humorous effect, I feel it's acceptable, but it is open to abuse.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Athy, I am not expecting you to agree with me but I know a lot of others will.:)

I doubt it very much - if they do, then they are mistaken. A person has every right to change his own words.

Oh, I haven't changed "dont" in your bit of post which I quoted, by the way.

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

A person has every right to change his own words.

Again, I disagree.

If you say one thing and then later decide to change it, I should be able to show people what you originally said.

Maybe on this forum, the rules can be different but in real life you are held to account for what you originally say.

Get stopped by the police for speeding and they will record what you say to them. You cant then change what they write down? Its there. Its in black and white. Similarly on this forum, you write a post and I get an email with the text in it. I should be allowed to reproduce that as long as I identify the owner of the quote (for copyright reasons) and expect it not to be changed. 

Everyone should realise that as soon as they press the 'submit reply' key, what they have written is now in the public domain and cannot be retrived.

The other point in your post is that although you say a person has every right to change his own words, most people on here do not. Only Mods can change the words in their quotes. Why then if you can do it, why cant others?

20 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

t although you say a person has every right to change his own words, most people on here do not. Only Mods can change the words in their quotes. Why then if you can do it, why cant others?

Surely that's obvious: because Moddies have the means to gain access to other people's posts. Thus, rather than ask whoever it was that quoted me "Will you correct the spelling mistake on line 2 of my sentence, please?" I can do it myself and save him the bother.

It is risible that my honesty and courtesy have attracted adverse criticism. Knowing for example your propensity for having fun (as, sometimes, do I), that it's a "wind-up", as it has no other merit. Perhaps some people do not value being honest and polite. I do.

So, let us sum up: it is perfectly acceptable to change one's OWN WORDS, because they are one's OWN. No sane person could contest that. It is not always acceptable to change other people's words, because they are NOT one's own, especially if it is done with malicious intent. I think that's enough on the subject..

On 26/02/2019 at 08:52, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely that would only be done if the Mod 'lost' the vote ?

It's a foregone conclusion.

Sorry things have moved on, weep....................

Edited by LadyG

On 27 February 2019 at 13:23, Dr Bob said:

On 27 February 2019 at 13:28, Athy said:

I doubt it very much - if they do, then they are mistaken.

In that case it's a good job that I, for one, can accept being told I am mistaken. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1