Liverpool Boats

Jon Cartwright

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, Jon Cartwright said:

Oh dear,what have I started

A thread.

Totally typical.

Still the upsides, no one has mentioned Brexit yet and no one has tried  to crack a fish joke.

We bought our boat 2 years ago and steered clear of LB as it did appear to have a bad reputation but there are good ones and bad ones of most makes. LB will be cheaper than some of the other makes (like for like). Find a good LB and you could be lucky. I would go and see as many boats as you can. You will know when you find the one you want.

We have a Liverpool boat, 55ft though not with a Izuzu engine. For some reason it has a Barrus Shire 30 with PRM 150 gearbox since she was built in 2001 The hull is OK but having seen other boats of better spec and build quality (e.g. Aqualine) my next boat probably won't be a Liverpool Boat.

1 hour ago, Fly Navy said:

I'm surprised a moderator hasn't deleted this thread!

Hope the web host has a good lawyer!

By all means PM someone to warn them off but deriding a boat builder in public like this could spell serious trouble guys!!!!

I think we are fairly safe, they closed down years ago.

We live ( still at present ) in a country that supposedly has free speech. I was simply offering my opinion as I said.

7 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

By all means PM someone to warn them off but deriding a boat builder in public like this could spell serious trouble guys!!!!

Why, and why?

As you're new to CWDF you perhaps don't realise that giving advice and the benefit of members' experience to less knowledgeable people is a large, and in my view valuable, part of what we do here. Please do not deride it!

7 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I think we are fairly safe, they closed down years ago.

We live ( still at present ) in a country that supposedly has free speech. I was simply offering my opinion as I said.

We also live in a country in which it is not a crime to tell the truth.

I personally think the constant criticism of Liverpool Boats shells by some people is over the top.

It kind of stands to reason that if you build more shells than any other canal boat builder, (probably ever, except possibly Springer), that it becomes more likely that people can find the occasional bad example.

For each documented boat with some peculiarity, there could be another 100 not having any demonstrable problems.

I would however check both quoted length and width carefully though, as that does seem to be a common feature where they are not to spec.

Personally I wouldn't touch either  Lombardini engine or a Technodrive gearbox though - unusual in an LB, surely?

On 23/02/2019 at 09:41, Dr Bob said:

I also object!

I am a scouse muppet, never nicked a hub cap in my life and full of fibrous morals.

If I had nicked one though I would prolly have passed it on to LB.

As a port monkey I think it's a fairly accurate representation of Scousers 

:)

8 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

Very low risk when the company involved hasn't actively traded for some years.

The company was still listed but dormant, but as of last December now comes up as dissolved.

On 23 February 2019 at 14:22, Dr Bob said:

A thread.

Totally typical.

Still the upsides, no one has mentioned Brexit yet and no one has tried  to crack a fish joke.

We bought our boat 2 years ago and steered clear of LB as it did appear to have a bad reputation but there are good ones and bad ones of most makes. LB will be cheaper than some of the other makes (like for like). Find a good LB and you could be lucky. I would go and see as many boats as you can. You will know when you find the one you want.

Liverpool Boats went bust because of Brexit and don't let the others flounder around giving you other excuses.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I personally think the constant criticism of Liverpool Boats shells by some people is over the top.

It kind of stands to reason that if you build more shells than any other canal boat builder, (probably ever, except possibly Springer), that it becomes more likely that people can find the occasional bad example.

For each documented boat with some peculiarity, there could be another 100 not having any demonstrable problems.

I would however check both quoted length and width carefully though, as that does seem to be a common feature where they are not to spec.

Personally I wouldn't touch either  Lombardini engine or a Technodrive gearbox though - unusual in an LB, surely?

I agree with all of this Alan. I've not really encountered any serious cock ups with Liverpool Boats, but I have with a couple of very top end boats which I won't mention.

More than happy with my 2005 Liverpool boat, very good value for money. 

Early boats appear to of had problems which gave the company something of a bad name but problems seem to of been largely overcome once the company was sorted out. Many about and I would say many have said to me that they are happy with them. 

For the price point I personally think they were decent boats if you wanted something practical. 

Edited by reg

I'm simply flagging up an issue that got another forum (which I am a member of for 20+ years) into serious hot water.

Now they delete ANY post that even smells of slander or libel.

It's got nothing to do with me being new on here. (The forum might be new but British law isn't}

If someone feels they have an issue with any manufacturer, by all means pass this info onto anyone who asks but why not do it in private via a PM?

If you were the owner of a company (which I am sure, some of you are) and you came across a public forum where they were defaming your company - would you ignore it?  of course not.

(I know Liverpool boats didn't operate recently but was not aware it had subsequently been dissolved).

Slagging off a product or manufacturer in public can and will get someone into trouble one day.

Liverpool boats have been a topic of discussion on this forum for many years. Alan, the owner, has also previously visited the forum, around the time they voluntarily liquidated the company and has replied to postings. Try a search and you will find the threads. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Fly Navy said:

I'm simply flagging up an issue that got another forum (which I am a member of for 20+ years) into serious hot water.

It's got nothing to do with me being new on here. (The forum might be new but British law isn't}

If someone feels they have an issue with any manufacturer, by all means pass this info onto anyone who asks but why not do it in private via a PM?

If you were the owner of a company (which I am sure, some of you are) and you came across a public forum where they were defaming your company - would you ignore it?  of course not.

(I know Liverpool boats didn't operate recently but was not aware it had subsequently been dissolved).

Slagging off a product or manufacturer in public can and will get someone into trouble one day.

I regularly show photos of brand new boats being lifted in that have no blacking in their bow thruster tubes, I challenge anyone from that or any other company to take me to court for slander or libel. 

I am showing proof - hopefully in the process alerting new buyers to make sure it is done in the build process - and maybe shaming those repeat offending companies (one named above) to actually do the job properly and black it.:)

32 minutes ago, Fly Navy said:

Trip Advisor as far I know (not that I frequent their website) doesn't appear to have a problem. Though I do think they are aware of rival businesses posting negative comments. 

I can't remember if I've ever added negative comments about a business, I know I've written quite a few and after writing I've discarded the post after feeling better when I've put the annoyance into words. 

Edited by Jennifer McM

I can’t see any problem with objective criticism of any company but particularly not that of an ex-company.

All the criticism so far posted in this thread has been in the form of “In my experience...” or “In my opinion...”. That’s not libel, that’s the poster’s experience or opinion, otherwise known as free speech, and there’s nothing libellous in that. 

In my opinion Mercedes have done a great job of conning the British public into believing that they’re prestige cars whereas everywhere else in Europe they’re used as taxis. That’s not libel, that’s my opinion. 

• Greenie 1