Welcome buccaneer66 - New Moderator

RichM

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't you mean 200ft above sea level, with the surrounding countryside no more than 190 feet?

Quite possibly, yes.

No Northerner would recognise them as "hills" at any rate.

3 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I expect when mummy and daddy (mumsie and daddykins) bought the TV set from Harrods they had the ITV button removed.

:)

I assume that was the case.

I was protected from almost everything in the least scary, and of course there was nothing "explicit"

I can't remember how we changed stations, but we definitely had Horizontal Hold

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Ah, but did you believe you could see a telegraph pole in the opening creds? Come to think of it, presumably if they are reshowing it on Freeview, you could freeze the shot and check...

Just checked the opening credits, no telegraph pole :(

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

And in the Railway Children.

:)

Two ex-FMC boats were involved in the filming of the remake of The Railway Children - Owl and Lily. In one scene the children see a horse drawn boat approach the bridge.  When the boat emerges from the bridge it's turned into a motor with no trace of a horse.

This was because the mast on Lily broke as it approached the bridge and so could no longer be towed.  The director assumed that no one would notice if the horse drawn boat suddenly turned into a motor.  

Hampton was supposed to have been used as a genuine horse drawn boat.  I couldn't meet the schedule to bring the boat up to Marsworth from London. The film company was prepared to load it onto a lorry but we declined.

Mistakes with railway shots are very frequent. Often steam loco's are much later built than the supposed period of the film suggests. And views of  different trains passing when supposed to to be the same train. Or a train in the wrong region in B/W films and can't see the trains regional colours.      Another very frequent fault in films and TV programs is cars that have supposedly travelled many miles  fly round a corner and pull up somewhere '' with vapour still steaming from the exhaust. They have obviusely just started up from stone cold and just driven a hundred yards or so for the film shot.

Edited by bizzard

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

Mistakes with railway shots are very frequent. Often steam loco's are much later built than the supposed period of the film suggests. And views of  different trains passing when supposed to to be the same train. Or a train in the wrong region in B/W films and can't see the trains regional colours.    

Indeed, I've lost count of the number of sequences in T.V. period dramas where a train is seen pulling out of a station hauled by, say, a Black Five, then we see it speeding through the countryside hauled by, perhaps, a Great Western Castle class. The programme directors no doubt think that viewers won't notice - and the majority of them probably don't.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The programme directors no doubt think that viewers won't notice - and the majority of them probably don't.

The programme directors probably don't know and wouldn't notice the difference themselves, so they don't have the knowledge to think any further.  Shoddy in their position, I'll grant ye, but most folk miss many things others can't believe aren't obvious. 

• Greenie 1

Steve McQueen is wearing the wrong uniform in the film "The Great Escape"

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The programme directors probably don't know and wouldn't notice the difference themselves, so they don't have the knowledge to think any further.  Shoddy in their position, I'll grant ye, but most folk miss many things others can't believe aren't obvious. 

I blame the continuity person not the director.

14 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Steve McQueen is wearing the wrong uniform in the film "The Great Escape"

I blame the continuity person not the director.

That'll be the bloke jumping the wire on a Triumph motorbike