Welcome buccaneer66 - New Moderator

RichM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Keep it under your hat is a yonks old saying from the days of bow and arrows archers. When raining they kept their bow strings under their hats to keep them dry.  I never saw Richard Greene, Lobin Hood do on telly though.

Hardly before your day surely?

....... it was live on BBC, B&W

18 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It was on Freeview 81 TV Talking pictures the other day.

Trust you to harvest freebies, even TV from 1953.

Have you still got your Green Stamps?

8 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I didn't know you got Freeview on your telly

philco_1939_console.jpg

Richard

Very primitive.

Ours had doors, we were middle class.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I didn't know you got Freeview on your telly

philco_1939_console.jpg

Richard

We once had a neighbore with an ancient Sobel telly with the huge glass magnifying glass lense hanging over the screen on leather straps. The actual screen size was only about 6''

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Trust you to harvest freebies, even TV from 1953.

Have you still got your Green Stamps?

I save everything, from Green shield stamps to match box labels, bottle tops, rubbings from company names on cast iron manhole covers in the street, bus numbers, car numbers, spent matchsticks and razor blades, bits of old rope ect, and like you, train numbers.

I also collect and restore to working order discarded cigarette lighters which I find in bins and often just floating down the river.

Edited by bizzard

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

, and like you, train numbers.

A figment of your imagination, it was a model train, Triang, TT.

I  can swap you rubbings of cast iron street manhole covers, only interested in circular ones.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I save everything, from Green shield stamps to match box labels, bottle tops, rubbings from company names on cast iron manhole covers in the street, bus numbers, car numbers, spent matchsticks and razor blades, bits of old rope ect, and like you, train numbers.

I also collect and restore to working order discarded cigarette lighters which I find in bins and often just floating down the river.

Green shield stamps!

I remember them. Never got anything decent from 'em though. Books and books of 'em.

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A figment of your imagination, it was a model train, Triang, TT.

I  can swap you rubbings of cast iron street manhole covers, only interested in circular ones.

I once knew a chap who was a tramcar enthusiast, the old trams of days of yore. When the systems were all being dismantled he became really obcessed in the types of track that was being dug up in the roads. He started a museum of tram tracks in his graden shed. He would venture out in the dead of night with a hacksaw and spare blades and visit the sites where tracks were dug up. He would spend hours sawing off 6'' lengths of track and take them back to his shed and label them all as to which city or town corporation they came from. He travelled all over the country doing it..     This is true.

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I once knew a chap who was a tramcar enthusiast, the old trams of days of yore. When the systems were all being dismantled he became really obcessed in the types of track that was being dug up in the roads. He started a museum of tram tracks in his graden shed. He would venture out in the dead of night with a hacksaw and spare blades and visit the sites where tracks were dug up. He would spend hours sawing off 6'' lengths of track and take them back to his shed and label them all as to which city or town corporation they came from. He travelled all over the country doing it..     This is true.

A relation, perhaps?

7 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Shown on ITV not BBC, recorded not live.

:)

Ah, but did you believe you could see a telegraph pole in the opening creds? Come to think of it, presumably if they are reshowing it on Freeview, you could freeze the shot and check...