Welcome buccaneer66 - New Moderator

RichM

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I found an early film of you.

:)

Cpt Hornigold! in the credits......... Is he Goldie Horns dad?

They've remade that film BTW .......its now called "The Brexiteers"-

UK TV series 2016-2056

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Athy said:

They're more widely known as the names of two "hills" in Cambs. This being the flat East Country, both are only 200 feet or so tall - they can be detected with the naked eye if one concentrates.

I had once a b'friend from those flatlands, hmmmmmmmmmmm ?️?️

Edited by LadyG
Brexit: a hard border

4 hours ago, howardang said:

Nothing to do with the town of Blackburn. The Buccaneer was built in Brough, East Yorkshire, at the Aircraft Factory originally started by Mr Blackburn. That is why some locals still refer to the factory as Blackburn's to this day, although it has been part of British Aerospace for many years.

Howard

I didn't think it was Howard, but the jest wouldn't have worked with British Aerospace... or their predecessor Hawker-Siddely who, I suspect, had subsumed Blackburn (the company, not the town) by the time the bulk of the Buccaneers were being built. I'm no Buccaneer expert though - I've merely been hugely impressed by them at sea on a number of occasions. Smokey old blighters though - apart from their obsolescence I think they'd have gone on environmental grounds by now! :D

Incidentally, neither did I think that it was a real pirate - I doubt there's many in either Brough or Blackburn and, having had some involvement in anti-piracy operations, I can reveal that real life pirates aren't very much fun at all.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I didn't think it was Howard, but the jest wouldn't have worked with British Aerospace... or their predecessor Hawker-Siddely who, I suspect, had subsumed Blackburn (the company, not the town) by the time the bulk of the Buccaneers were being built. I'm no Buccaneer expert though - I've merely been hugely impressed by them at sea on a number of occasions. Smokey old blighters though - apart from their obsolescence I think they'd have gone on environmental grounds by now! :D

Incidentally, neither did I think that it was a real pirate - I doubt there's many in either Brough or Blackburn and, having had some involvement in anti-piracy operations, I can reveal that real life pirates aren't very much fun at all.

I should know better!  However, I couldn't resist responding because I live within a few hundred yards of Brough Airfield where there are still memories of the Buccaneers; one of the village pubs is even called the Buccaneer, and it was only in 2013 that the Buccaneer Gateguard aircraft was removed and taken to Elvington Air Museum so more people will be able to see it. I know exactly what you mean about modern day piracy. I have been followed on more than one occasion in the Malacca Straits when operating in Indonesian waters  and also off Somalia- fortunately never boarded thank goodness. I remember getting some stick when I made some comments on this forum about not liking to see the Jolly Roger flag on narrow boats, even though I fully understand that it is only meant in fun, but most people on here didn't seem to understand what piracy really means to the victims. let's hope they never find out for real!

1151969387_Buccaneergateguard.jpg.42025036a7105c3b444f27d7ac00c302.jpg

Brough Gateguard Buccaneer

There has been continual aircraft production in Brough since 1916 when Blackburns first built their factory here. Although BAE still manufactures Hawk aircraft, marked by a Hawk gateguard , a part of the site is now being turned into a housing development so no more flying from the airfield, but the aircraft is still remembered in the village with one of the local pubs being called The Buccaneer, and there is a club nearby called Blackies, after Blackburn Aircraft.

Howard

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Confucius he say:

Wise man keep low  profile

OK, I will hide for a while.......................................

.............................I am just going outside and may be some time.

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Thanks for the welcome folks.

As the Blackburn buccaneer was built to carry nuclear weapons I can come in a blast any naughty posters into oblivion. ?

Oh, is that it? I thought you were wearing two dollar earrings

Richard

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Do you need a hanky?

Not the kind of book you read.................

100,000 to 1 we never see him again

10.000 to 1 he never posts again

100 to 1 he sulks from today to 1st April

10 to 1 he falls out with Daniel and resigns within  ten weeks

This is not Wind in the Willows territory.

Edited by LadyG

30 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not the kind of book you read.................

100,000 to 1 we never see him again

10.000 to 1 he never posts again

100 to 1 he sulks from today to 1st April

10 to 1 he falls out with Daniel and resigns within  ten weeks

This is not Wind in the Willows territory.

Can I have £10 on 3-0 tonight?

Now let me go find my powder and musket, I know where the sword is.

For those of you joking about pirates I really have fired a black powder cannon from a sailing ship, & repelled boarders it was quite a lark for the Whitehaven festival a few years back but very loud when the Grand Turk fired a broadside at us.

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

Thanks for the welcome folks.

As the Blackburn buccaneer was built to carry nuclear weapons I can come in a blast any naughty posters into oblivion. ?

Well, if you only pop in once a week to check even those posts which you're the subject of there'll be a lot of those naughty posters doing the Buccaneer "under the radar" approach trick! :ninja:

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Now let me go find my powder and musket, I know where the sword is.

For those of you joking about pirates I really have fired a black powder cannon from a sailing ship, & repelled boarders it was quite a lark for the Whitehaven festival a few years back but very loud when the Grand Turk fired a broadside at us.

Now that I would like to do :)

I did make some as a youf and thanks to my lack of demolition skills there is a small bridge still standing, 

I'm watching in the background

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Now that I would like to do :)

I did make some as a youf and thanks to my lack of demolition skills there is a small bridge still standing, 

It's a lot of fun but we had to dismount the barrels from our field guns and make  naval gun trails for them so that we could haul in and out with the ropes.