Welcome buccaneer66 - New Moderator

RichM

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Following a recent announcement regarding the Moderator vacancy, we're pleased to welcome buccaneer66. to the team We're really pleased he has stepped forward to volunteer for the role especially given his previous experience Moderating discussion forums. Please take a moment to congratulate him.

Thank you

RichM

3 hours ago, RichM said:

Please take a moment to congratulate him.

Hmmm, commiserate with more like! Not sure why someone with only 59 posts to their name would want to do it, masochism perhaps? Anyway I’m sure he (or she, or they) will be great. If they survive!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

May Magog have mercy on your sole. Good luck.   Thank you for your map work.

Is there any particular good reason to do such a thing?

Please post your blood group then stocks can be kept in the fridge. 

Edited by Boater Sam
added more
  • Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

May Magog have mercy on your sole. Good luck.   Thank you for your map work.

Is there any particular good reason to do such a thing?

Please post your blood group then stocks can be kept in the fridge. 

Our first goldfish were Gog and Magog

Magog is often associated with apocalyptic traditions, Gog of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal" (Ezek 38:2 NIV); on the basis of this mention, "Gog and Magog" over time became associated with each other as a pair. In the New Testament, this pairing is found in the Book of Revelation 20:8, in which instance they may merely be metaphors.

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Our first goldfish were Gog and Magog

Magog is often associated with apocalyptic traditions, Gog of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal" (Ezek 38:2 NIV); on the basis of this mention, "Gog and Magog" over time became associated with each other as a pair. In the New Testament, this pairing is found in the Book of Revelation 20:8, in which instance they may merely be metaphors.

They're more widely known as the names of two "hills" in Cambs. This being the flat East Country, both are only 200 feet or so tall - they can be detected with the naked eye if one concentrates.

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Hoorah!!  66 Buccaneers to fight off any board ing pirates.

Please accept this avatar as a humble gift. 

400px-Buccaneer_full.png

Now I took his current avatar as an indication that the Buccaneer concerned was the Blackburn Buccaneer.  I don't think I've been to Blackburn, but I'm sure I would remember if the locals looked like that!

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Rusty, you rather exaggerate the dangers from pirates, they are always with you (2 on this thread) you yourself survived a visit unscathed apart from a skirmish with Mr T.D

Phil

Arrrrgggghhhh, you see them too now Phil!!. I thought it was just me , but I was stuck behind the sofa for some time.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Now I took his current avatar as an indication that the Buccaneer concerned was the Blackburn Buccaneer.  I don't think I've been to Blackburn, but I'm sure I would remember if the locals looked like that!

Nothing to do with the town of Blackburn. The Buccaneer was built in Brough, East Yorkshire, at the Aircraft Factory originally started by Mr Blackburn. That is why some locals still refer to the factory as Blackburn's to this day, although it has been part of British Aerospace for many years.

Howard

Sorry Rusty. Sadly you took the bait on this one. 

I often wonder why, Pirates in particular, lose their hands and feet. They all seemed to do it. A bit careless if you ask me. If your oppo has suffered losing a limb, you'd be extra careful surely.

And finally, "where's your buccaneers!?"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, howardang said:

Nothing to do with the town of Blackburn. The Buccaneer was built in Brough, East Yorkshire, at the Aircraft Factory originally started by Mr Blackburn. That is why some locals still refer to the factory as Blackburn's to this day, although it has been part of British Aerospace for many years.

Howard

They held Motor Cycle racing there in the 50's the circuit was interesting using part of the main runway /peri  track the runway part was used like a 2 way road cones/hay bales down the centre very useful to gauge having taken the "U" turn at the end if the chased were being caught or the chasers were catching you Remember it as a very 'folky/friendly meeting

Edited by X Alan W