Change of boat name

Laresa

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

With decent wet weather gear, rain really isn't much of a problem

Yes I find that, it seems that the weather god's watch you struggling to get into your wet weather gear and then shortly after you set off decide to replace the rain with sunshine. ?

If you Google "Changing A Boats Name" you will find that there are several variations of the re-naming ceremony.

I did change the name of a boat I owned a couple of years ago,but dispensed with the ritual because one of the requirements was to empty a bottle of rum into the cut!!! Too expensive!!

Another requirement was to have a virgin urinate over the bow!!   (Where was I to find one of them at Aspley Wharf?)

So,just changed the name and notified CRT.

Find a wide bit of canal, junction, or winding hole, and get the boat at right angles to the cut with the bow pushed into the bank and slightly overhanging the bank, for purposes of ritual that's as good as out of the water,  crack suitable bottle of beer over the bow (taking care not to drop any glass into the grass or cut or to damage paintwork.  Various things about keeping (or burning) something with the old name, maybe a digital photo would do.

and do choose a good name,  "we dun it" or "we retired" spelt in a funny way just won't do. Check boat name index to confirm that name is original, or else append  a number to remind everybody that your name is not original, something like Kingfisher 210 or NarrowEscape 32 ?

............Dave

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

Find a wide bit of canal, junction, or winding hole, and get the boat at right angles to the cut with the bow pushed into the bank and slightly overhanging the bank, for purposes of ritual that's as good as out of the water,  crack suitable bottle of beer over the bow (taking care not to drop any glass into the grass or cut or to damage paintwork.  Various things about keeping (or burning) something with the old name, maybe a digital photo would do.

and do choose a good name,  "we dun it" or "we retired" spelt in a funny way just won't do. Check boat name index to confirm that name is original, or else append  a number to remind everybody that your name is not original, something like Kingfisher 210 or NarrowEscape 32 ?

............Dave

Dreamcatcher200²

Edited by Jim Riley

52 minutes ago, dmr said:

............Dave

And don't use the silly name "Vox Stellarum"

:)

25 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Dreamcatcher200²

A while ago I read an article about boat names in Towpath Talk or something similar, and we got a mention,   they said a few people give their boats pretentious Latin names   ?....

.................Dave

2 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

And don't use the silly name "Vox Stellarum"

:)

You old Springer owners just get so jealous ?

There's a big CRT Van up North with a huge picture painted across the back doors, and guess which boat is on it? ??

...............Dave

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

A while ago I read an article about boat names in Towpath Talk or something similar, and we got a mention,   they said a few people give their boats pretentious Latin names   ?....

.................Dave

I haven't given my boat a pretentious latin name but did rename it.

I've avoided the associated bad luck so far by not telling CaRT or getting the new name painted on the side.

By the way, what's the latin (or greek perhaps) for "pretentious name" - it would be a good boat name!

14 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I've avoided the associated bad luck so far by not telling CaRT or getting the new name painted on the side.

By the way, what's the latin (or greek perhaps) for "pretentious name" - it would be a good boat name!

Nurdus cretinius?

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

Well given the trials and tribulations of having to have the engine relocated, that obviously didn't work ???

21 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Well given the trials and tribulations of having to have the engine relocated, that obviously didn't work ???

Oh yes!

For some reason I hadn't associated that with bad luck - talk about not being introspective!

Anyway, I'm due to pick it up at the beginning of March so I'll post all about it. I don't care if it's boring, it cost an arm and a leg so you can all suffer!

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, frahkn said:

Oh yes!

For some reason I hadn't associated that with bad luck - talk about not being introspective!

Anyway, I'm due to pick it up at the beginning of March so I'll post all about it. I don't care if it's boring, it cost an arm and a leg so you can all suffer!

Armless?

legless?

pistenbroke

enjoy your boat

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Superstition is stupid, ask any of us Cancerians.

I wouldn't bother with a design underneath it either. How clear do you think the cut is?

Superstition is stupid - I agree but I've crossed my fingers.

I promise that I won't bother with a design underneath it - as soon as I discover what "it" is.

I think it's clear cut that the cut (at least near me) isn't very clear at all.

All clear?

Thank you one and all for your helpful advice.  I'll risk the boat name change in the water and keep everything crossed! of course, if anything ever goes wrong with the boat in the future, I can then just blame the water gods ?

Now to check out the cover recommendations and stickers for the name.